Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Birds of Prey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Birds of Prey  (Read 16195 times)
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #35 on: February 13, 2020, 12:23:02 PM

Edge of Tomorrow got the same treatment after it underperformed.  That movie was pretty great though.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #36 on: February 13, 2020, 06:31:59 PM

Pretty sure Edge of Tomorrow launched as Edge of Tomorrow, and they changed the working title from All You Need is Kill during filming.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #37 on: February 13, 2020, 06:56:39 PM

All You Need is Kill is the name of the manga it's based on.  It was released theatrically as Edge of Tomorrow and then towards the end of its run/home video they named it to Live Die Repeat.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #38 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:52 PM

That was a good movie. Go watch that movie. Don't watch this movie (probably).

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 09:11:22 PM

All You Need is Kill is the name of the manga it's based on.  It was released theatrically as Edge of Tomorrow and then towards the end of its run/home video they named it to Live Die Repeat.
It was based on a book, not a manga.   tongue

Anyways, just googled it.  Yeah, All You Need is Kill was the working title, but later changed in development (though released in Japan under that same name).  They never actually changed the title of the film, but in later posters, and on the DVD release, they made the tag line "Live. Die. Repeat." bigger than the actual title of the movie.  Hadn't seen that before.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 09:30:44 PM

I was going to say.  As far as I knew, they never changed the name of Edge of Tomorrow, they just put an insanely huge emphasis on the Tag Line in all of the print advertising / posters and stuff.   Pretty sure I would have noticed if our theater had been required to change the title of the movie mid way through its run on our display boards.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 11:57:55 PM

I took the hit for you. The movie is better than most of the other DC fare but is not good. Its very weirdly comic booky (in that goons very conspicuously don't have guns until its dramatically appropriate and the police are wildly incompetent) and doesn't introduce this to you in any way. Which i kind of like but its also very weird given DC's other fare. This is supposedly in the same universe as Suicide Squad and Batman vs Superman but... Harley invades a police station with a bean bag grenade launcher and none of the police have guns until one (and only one) has one (and only one) pistol and then he is disarmed in melee. Aside from a few instances its so weirdly devoid of murder its disconcerting. This would be fine if the movie were not coming on the heels of those other titles... but its hard to get yourself into that frame after Harley tells you its a sequel.  On the other hand it is probably the best single thing about the movie besides Mary Elizabeth Winstead (who does not get enough lines)

Its R but i don't even know what or why they're spending the R on. People are only killed in a few scenes and none of that really needed to be on screen. Maybe it was going to be R because of cussing so they just made a few other scenes gory on re-shoots? But i don't remember too many as it was so i am in the dark.

The music choice is very uninspired except for like... one or two songs. Generic Youtube playlist uninspired. Literally for my DnD game i needed some "fight music" on the fly and in 10 seconds picked out black betty. Youtube wanted to play Barracuda after that because of course it did. Both of those are in this movie and in the same order.

It needs a lot of editing. Its an hour and fifty minutes and they could cut a half an hour of repeated exposition and flashbacks which repeat the plot repeatedly. They interrupt the flow of scenes that actually matter; scenes which provide characterization and growth for central characters.

Conclusions: all of DC's movies would be a lot better if they were more like Birds of Prey; more comic booky, more concerned with treating the worlds their characters inhabit on the terms of the stories and seeing where this goes. Less concerned about realism and grittyness and murder. Birds of Prey would be a lot better if it was 30 minutes shorter, PG13, and paid a 13 year old 50 dollars to find some music that was hip with the kids in an afternoon.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 28, 2020, 11:02:34 PM

This was the most fun I've ever had at the movies. Basically girl Deadpool, but somehow flashier. Soundtrack was great, but I was disappointed they played Black Betty because that is one worn out tune. It's mainly Harley's story, so she gets the most screen time, but towards the end they do a good job of getting the gang even time and lines.

One of the things I loved about this show is that there is not a big drawn out "boss" fight. This was done well. That said, I would have preferred a few minutes less of battle royale and a bit more story.

Still. Show was a riot. All actors nailed it.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 01, 2020, 05:38:58 AM

Not sure if serious  Head scratch

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 01, 2020, 01:00:24 PM

I also had a good time though i wasnt expecting high art so it can be bouyed by low expectations. The movie is fun and stupid and knows it for the most part. It puts effort into its gags.

Sonic was a better movie though and more fun.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 02, 2020, 12:15:07 PM

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 22, 2020, 03:48:14 PM

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:38:16 AM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #47 on: May 24, 2020, 05:36:53 AM

Yap, this was great. Harley Quinn was very likeable.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 24, 2020, 06:20:56 AM

Wouldn't say great but it was a fun enjoyable movie.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #49 on: August 21, 2020, 07:57:49 PM

This was on HBO finally, so I watched it.

It was decent but that has to come with a few caveats.

1) It's not a Birds of Prey movie - they are barely in it and are mostly window dressing, especially Huntress (who was a complete waste of Mary Elizabeth Winstead)
2) It's absolutely a Harley Quinn movie
3) Ewan McGregor is clearly there to just flounce about and collect a paycheck. He chews scenery just for the fuck of it, reminding me very much of Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face in Batman Forever

All that aside, it's a decent Harley Quinn movie. If you like that character and liked Margot Robbie's take on the character from Suicide Squad, this is the sequel to that. It's got some decent fight choreography, though I think the finale set piece was the weakest of the bunch. Black Canary is ok (you might recognize her as Letty from Lovecraft Country) and the guy playing Victor Szaz was good. Come for Robbie and the batshitness of Harley Quinn, there's not really much else to stay for beyond that.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: September 04, 2020, 05:48:12 PM

Had to stop myself from talking through the movie. 1-2 good harley quinn bits don't make up for the utter lack of quality from the rest of the cast, the script, or even the costume design. Fuck i've seen better outfits on CW shows.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #51 on: September 04, 2020, 06:40:01 PM

Had to stop myself from talking through the movie. 1-2 good harley quinn bits don't make up for the utter lack of quality from the rest of the cast, the script, or even the costume design. Fuck i've seen better outfits on CW shows.
They decided "no 'Fan Service'" (sexy costumes) and it turns out that wasn't what the audience (male or female) wanted.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: September 04, 2020, 07:22:06 PM

They decided "no 'Fan Service'" (sexy costumes) and it turns out that wasn't what the audience (male or female) wanted.

--Dave

I mean I didn't mind no fan service. What I think people didn't appreciate was 3 starving college girls waiting outside a club with no dress code and indie tracks only. It's also a movie where casting 3 girls who are about as physically threatening as 3 starving college girls on gluten free diets doesn't do them any favors.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Birds of Prey  
Jump to: