Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Birds of Prey 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Birds of Prey  (Read 16197 times)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

on: January 10, 2020, 09:52:46 AM

Trailer

A movie made because that Joker bimbo from Suicide Squad was kinda hot. Being abused is sexy.

I haven't watched the trailer because there is no way on Gods Green Lantern that I will go see this. But its a movie coming out in 2020...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:18:51 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 01:01:56 PM

So Suicide Squad was a terrible movie but Robbie was fantastic as Harley Quinn. She and Will Smith and the fire-dude made the movie watchable despite its shit plot. And I will likely go see this because I am a sucker for comic movies. She looks like she's having fun.

But man, I just do not fucking get this movie at all. It's like it believes that Suicide Squad wasn't trash so let's do more of that. McGregor looks like he's also having fun as whoever the fuck he's supposed to be. DC continues to make puzzling choices about what to greenlight and why, and seem almost as bad as Kathleen Kennedy at having no long-term plan worth a shit.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 03:38:26 PM

Suicide Squad suckered me in with an amazing trailer, this one did not do that.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 03:41:55 PM

It is the weird world of Hollywood. "People like Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn! Let's figure out a way to do more of that!"  Though with Gunn, maybe they really did say, "Let's back up and do Suicide Squad the concept right this time". So puzzling.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 06:11:22 PM

This is trash.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 09:13:00 AM

It looks like a simple cash-in on the idea that Margot Robbie is hot enough to sell tickets to a 2 hour cosplay event.  And, well, she probably is.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 02:46:48 PM

It just shows you though how messed up creative thinking can be. You've got guys who think: even people who didn't like [this movie] liked [this performer]. So they say, let's make [that movie sequel] with [that movie performer] and fix it by adding [more intellectual property]. But here (as often is the case) they're adding [intellectual property] that is [not good for that performer's character]. Like, the entire appeal of Birds of Prey, done right, makes Oracle the central character and relies upon an established universe of existing other female characters to work well.

Whereas what they seem to be trying (vaguely) to do here is solve a basic problem of the Harley Quinn character that numerous DC writers haven't been able to entirely figure out--she was a great character at the outset but entirely connected or linked to the Joker, and an expression of his evil/malice as a character. To make her independently interesting takes something rather like making Barbara Gordon into Oracle--you have to see something in the character (she was a librarian!) and go with it in a new direction. In this case, that ought to be: she was a psychologist! But there isn't time in a single movie--she's a character who intensely depends upon a relationship to a bunch of other established characters.

So the suits fuck it up again, with the connivance of dumb executive editors at DC.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 02:48:08 PM

Sure, if you put her in cheerleader booty shorts. This is a little harder to sell.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 10:42:59 PM

Visually, Birds of Prey is just taking all the worst aspects of the Suicide Squad scenes with Joker in them and amping that up to the level of "Eating paste."

Oddly enough, Khal, the "director's cut" edition of Suicide Squad actually did some interesting things with Harley in conversations with some of the other characters between set pieces in the scenes that were cut that made it seem like she was psychoanalyzing the Squad, trying to gain some kind of advantage or at least see who might be useful. It didn't necessarily make the movie better because the movie's problem (besides trying to play in a universe as if the universe was already firmly established, which it wasn't) was the action set pieces were mostly shit and the villains looked stupid. Harley can be an interesting character when that aspect of her history is utilized, but I'm not sure this movie is going to do that. Even if it does, it'll be filled to the gills with other characters that will need development and backstories, so will likely end up just being a loud, chaotic mess.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 05:32:20 PM

This continues to be DC's problem: they want to have a cinematic universe, but don't want to put in any of the work.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:44:32 PM

This continues to be DC's problem: they want to have a cinematic universe, but don't want to put in any of the work.

It's DC, why would they "put in work."

Their lead superhero has every major superpower combined and their second biggest superhero has no superpowers and is just rich. Their biggest villains are a clown that couldn't actually take a bullet, scary bald late-stage capitalist and pussy Thanos.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 12:09:07 AM

Such disrespect for Gorilla Grodd.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 10:39:18 AM

Having read a lot of the New 52/Rebirth books, it's pretty clear that DC's writers are all trying to write story arcs like they are self-contained movie scripts, and they are all stuck in a kind of mid-point between Watchmen grimdark and Image tough and gritty reimagining. I'm not saying that DC's screenwriters haven't suffered brain damage somewhere along the way, but the source material has gone from 4-color silliness to Zak Snyder is God in the last decade.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 07:43:23 PM

Basically, yeah--they want a cinematic universe, but not only do they not want to put in the work, they still have suits involved who are embarrassed by the entire idea of superheroes. Bad combo.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 08:43:53 PM

The trailer does this series no favors.  Jesus Christ.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 06:02:39 PM

https://comicbook.com/dc/2020/02/08/birds-of-prey-opening-weekend-worse-than-green-lantern-dc/

Birds of Prey Estimated Opening Weekend Is Lower Than Green Lantern’s

By Cameron Bonomolo - February 8, 2020 06:44 pm EST

Estimated opening weekend numbers for Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) are coming in lower than 2011's Green Lantern, the DC Comics-inspired superhero movie that opened with $53 million before failing to take flight with just $219 million worldwide. Starring Ryan Reynolds as the titular ring-wearing superhero, Green Lantern carried a reported $200 million price tag and ultimately lost studio Warner Bros. at least $75 million, according to box office flop trackers Bomb Report. The estimated $34 million opening weekend for Birds of Prey is the lowest start for a DC film since 2010's Josh Brolin and Megan Fox-starring Jonah Hex, which lassoed just $10.9 million globally.

My feelings on this are between  swamp poop that this was even made and  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?.

Hic sunt dracones.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 06:53:09 PM

well if this mega flops prepare for another round of the stupidest part of the culture wars online

female director/screenwriter/leads this is gonna be a fucking EXTRA dumb week on twitter

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 07:17:03 PM

I really hope that if it sucks people can just say "this sucked". I kind of think after all the Round #1 Culture Wars that's where things settled on the Ghostbusters reboot, for example. In the end, a basically sensible position wins out: sure, Rey is fine; no problem, recast Yennefer and Triss so they don't look like the video game; etc.

Good is good; suck is suck. It evens out.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 09:25:56 PM

What, this came out? Looks like the studio didn't want us to notice.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 09:28:21 PM

I thought about going to see this tomorrow, but I'm not sure I can muster up enough energy to blow 2-ish hours on it.

schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 07:03:48 AM

I really hope that if it sucks people can just say "this sucked". I kind of think after all the Round #1 Culture Wars that's where things settled on the Ghostbusters reboot, for example. In the end, a basically sensible position wins out: sure, Rey is fine; no problem, recast Yennefer and Triss so they don't look like the video game; etc.

Good is good; suck is suck. It evens out.

Metacritic

Critics: 60
Users: 5.9

It's universally loathed garbage.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 09:40:10 AM

I no idea it was even out. There is zero buzz on it.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 09:44:30 AM

I saw a poster.  And I disliked it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 08:44:54 PM

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 10:27:57 PM

I am just going to assume that both sides are equally wrong and missing the point.  In the meantime, I will be just fine not watching this movie, and also not bashing it because I am aware it was not meant for me to enjoy.

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 06:31:42 AM

I'm not sure who was meant to enjoy it to be honest.

Except Haemish. But for entirely the wrong reasons.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 08:38:00 PM

Birds of Prey Pitch Meeting

I decided against going to see it this weekend and spent that time watching Carpenter's Prince of Darkness instead. If Ryan is even remotely on target with the story synopsis, I made the absolute right choice.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 11:06:41 PM

Disregard, wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:59:03 PM by Cyrrex »

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 08:36:39 AM

Birds of Prey Pitch Meeting

I decided against going to see it this weekend and spent that time watching Carpenter's Prince of Darkness instead. If Ryan is even remotely on target with the story synopsis, I made the absolute right choice.

Well, to be fair, Prince of Darkness is one of Carpenter's best works. Kinda hard to go wrong there.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 09:26:36 AM

This movie being a flop is about the only good thing about this year.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: February 12, 2020, 12:21:14 PM

Birds Of Prey Gets New Title After Its Poor Start

In an attempt to draw in new viewers, the new DC Comics movie Birds of Prey has changed its name following its slow start at the box office. The movie is changing its theatrical name from Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey, according to GameSpot sister site ComicBook.com. Note that this is only the theatrical name; the official title remains the same.

The name change is already visible through major American ticket-sellers like Regal Cinemas and AMC Theatres, though Warner Bros. has yet to officially comment on the change. The change is reportedly meant to boost SEO and generally make the film more recognizable. (It's also not the only movie to change its name post-release, although it is very uncommon.)

HEY DID YOU KNOW HARLEY QUINN'S ASS IS IN THIS MOVIE??? Maybe HARLEY QUINN you should HARLEY QUINN try out this HARLEY QUINN HUBBA HUBBA movie?

Just when I feel I'm being too cynical about this shit.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:29:50 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: February 12, 2020, 11:42:45 PM

To be honest, I actually think that name change made sense.  I saw the thread title here, saw references to the movie elsewhere, and failed to make the connection to Harley Quinn.  I didn't even remember what it was until I opened this thread.

That said, if the movie is pants, then it doesn't matter.  But it was dumb for them not to put it in the name from the start.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 06:00:30 AM

The previous title of the movie was "Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)".  It was right there in the title, what more do you want!?   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 13, 2020, 07:51:41 AM

I'm with Cyrrex, I had no idea this was a HQ movie because I've never heard of Birds of Prey as a super group. It's certainly weird to change a name mid-release, but after Cats getting a patch anything is possible.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 13, 2020, 08:44:12 AM

They could actually probably combine BoP and Cats and make a movie that is exponentially better.  I still would not watch it.

Strangely, I think Margot Robbie is super good looking....but I have never watched anything she is in.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Birds of Prey  
Jump to: