Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:56:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tenet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tenet  (Read 4971 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: December 21, 2019, 11:06:59 PM

Christopher Nolan's latest mind fuck opens in July:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdOM0x0XDMo

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 11:07:43 PM

I'm down.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 05:58:20 PM

They had a preview of the first 10 minutes when I saw Rise of Skywalker. Yeah, gonna catch this one in IMAX, something I’m sad I didn’t do with Inception.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:03:24 PM

So I went and saw this to night.  No need to see it in IMAX really. Movie was not my favorite by Nolan by a long shot, but it was good enough. Too pretentious and relying on forcing the show forward with the cutting and music. But I do like the Faustian inspiration he drew upon in the plot.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 12:18:19 PM

Christopher Nolan's timetwisting thriller. It's Inceptionier than Inception. It's Arrivalsier than Arrivals. It's a fucking mess.

The core conceit of the film is 'inversion' a process where some things or people can be moving backwards in time while other things are moving forwards. The film doesn't try to explain this, there's maybe a couple of sentences of bullshit but then everyone shrugs and goes 'shit be weird yo.' Honestly, that's fine, if we're going to see a thriller, I don't want a quantum physics lesson at the start.

What this means in practice is that you get to see most of each action scene twice running backwards and forwards. You get to see the effects of things that ahven't been caused yet and people reacting to those but it's not clear what's happening or to who, or why. Nothing is really explained, the characters obsess over specific details of larger plans for no apparent reason, and then those details are never returned to again.

I guess you probably need to watch it a few times to make all the connections, but I have no interest in sitting through it again. I pretty much checked ot as soon as the talking stopped. It was just a mess.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 06:23:18 PM

More pretensious than Inception? Hard pass.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:39:59 PM

Big reveal here.. so skip over if you havent seen the film.

This plot is almost as thick and ungraspable as the german TV series Dark. As Iain says it´s really light on explanations and very messy. It needs to be viewed through the right prism to make any sense. But when we have the right prism or key, the story I suspect is propably as easy to grasp as the locks in the film where to open by our protagonist.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:45:28 PM by Korachia »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 03:20:43 PM

Even if you understand this it's still not very good. Trying to top the inception rotating hallway fight scene with the forwards and backwards hallway fight scene was a noble attempt but it just ended up looking like two guys lighting shoving each other.

I am the .00000001428%
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 09:55:35 AM

Due to John Lovett making fun of Kenneth Bragnagh's Russian accent, I decided to give this a watch. I'm not sure that I'm glad I did. Despite some good performances and moments as a intriguing spy thriller, the time fuckery at the end got really convoluted. I feel like a dumbass, but more in the aspect that I possibly got conned into believing this somehow all makes sense.

Maybe I'm just getting old? Is this what my parents felt like watching Donnie Darko? Anyhow, not recommended. First 90 minutes, sure. Last hour.. uhh no.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 07:39:46 PM

It sort of makes sense but it's still not a very good movie. It's a special effect action sequence in search of a reason for being. And Branagh's Russian accent was only outsucked by Ray Winstone's in Black Widow.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 07:29:22 AM

Rasix, you watched the same movie I did. Summed it up well.

Some movies (such as Memento or The English Patient) tell stories out of sequence where your understanding grows on a rewatch. Not this one.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 11:53:53 PM

So, it's better than Inception then?
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 06:29:28 AM

Those are fighting words, sir.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 08:50:28 PM

So, it's better than Inception then?

No.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Tenet  
Jump to: