Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Podcasts 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 9011 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: December 09, 2019, 02:33:00 PM

So!

I've been regretting the dearth of substantive posts on this forum as a whole, but don't want to shitpost a lack of effortposts without contributing anything.  Unfortunately, I do not read nearly as much as I used to so I can't just start juicing my old Book Thread with shit tons of semi-reviews...  but I am always trying out new things to listen to while working!

Going to start out with one I like quite a bit, and that I've kept up with for a few years now:  the HPPodcraft!  Available on iTunes/Android.  Old episodes covering most of the original Lovecrafts stories here: https://hppodcraft.com/   Also on Patreon.

Podcast with two guys, Chad Fifer and Chris Lackey, talking about Lovecraft stories to start, and then moving on since then.  They were both originally friends/involved with Andrew Leman of the HP Lovecraft Historical Society...  they even had acting parts and production parts in the Lovecraft Society short Black & White.  Leman and Ken Hite (author, game designer, etc) are regular guests, along with special guests like Stuart Gordon (director of Reanimator, From Beyond, Dagon), Joshi, a bunch of artists/authors/etc that have done Lovecraftian fiction, and Patton Oswalt lately.

The podcast has trundled on since finishing Lovecraft and has moved into other weird fiction or Gothic Horror authors, though they usually stay away from anything very recent.  In general pretty good editing, original music, and sound/sound effects.  The hosts have good voices, and as they have been friends for decades, good chemistry.  Both Fifer and Lackey work in or have background in film/production so the product feels more professional.

I'd highly recommend giving one of the multipart episodes for the better Lovecraft stories a try... if you like it, you can start from the beginning.

Recommended:  Call of Cthulthu, At the Mountains of Madness, Reanimator (Stuart Gordon guests for this, so he has fun input related to the movie), Shadow over Innsmouth.  I think the Rats in the Walls or Pickman's Model, for one episode better stories.

If you liked or have nostalgia for the TOS Star Trek, Lackey and his wife host "Rachel Watches Star Trek" which covers the old episodes.  Rachel has never watched any Trek while her husband is a lifelong Trekkie, so they are watching and commenting on the old episodes.  Some really interesting commentary on sexism/racism, what works and what doesn't, and production (Rachel seems to have some theatre background).

Probably next I'll try to put something together on Critical Role/The Adventure Zone.  I don't listen to too many "live play" style rpg things (I think HarmonQuest was the other big one?), but both are pretty solid even if you don't care about liveplay.  Also, probably relevant as Critical Role has a two season deal with Amazon for an animated show.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 02:46:05 PM

If you have interest in learning a bit about the history of Walt Disney you can try Connecting with Walt (first whole bit of episodes are interesting, it kind of gets bogged down a bit around the end of 2018).

We had another thread on this one somewhere, but the History of Rome is fantastic which really started a long list of "History of.." casts of varying degrees of quality.

Otherwise I listen to a bunch of news podcasts like Vox and Pod Save America (which each have offshoots) and then a bunch of NY Giant podcasts to get my daily/weekly news.

If you want some decent Disney World podcasts, I've got a short list.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:38:43 PM

Podcasts!

Alice Isn't Dead (this is second only to I Love Bees - Jasika Nicole is a monster here)
Welcome to Night Vale (You can binge this, but I wouldn't)
The Dollop (start with The Rube imo - then listen in order, they nailed the format from the first episode)
SCP Archives (professionally produced retellings of SCP entries)
I Love Bees (the original podcast?) (anyway I listen about once every 2-3 years, it's still one of the best radio plays I've ever heard and it's about fucking Halo)

the rest of the podcasts on my list are board game things sooooooo (game brain, susd, svwag, ludology)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:28:00 PM

Pod Save America (which each have offshoots)

My favourite podcast listen each week is when I make Sunday breakfast in the kitchen while listening to Lovett Or Leave It. It's a live comedy spin-off of Pod Save America, hosted by Obama's former gay Jewish speechwriter (these attributes are all part of the humour, familiar if you ever laughed at a first-term Obama speech joke), who recently got engaged to Ronan Farrow. As a straight white man cooking breakfast for his wife, the amount of laughing-out-loud I do to this podcast may indicate its broad appeal.

I am also constantly intrigued by Intelligence Matters with Michael Morell (former Deputy Director of the CIA, or as the show phrases it Former Acting Director of the CIA). It's a pro-CIA, pro-US-military podcast, but it's an elite intelligence analyst talking to former spies and other insiders, so it never disappoints. Sometimes he even gives his negative opinions on Trump. I think Morell would have been CIA Director under Hillary Clinton. It's good stuff, even with the Raytheon and Lockheed Martin ads.

Gotta throw in an Australian one: Late Night Live (LNL, or "Lenin L"), reliably intelligent interviews on world matters from old leftie Phillip Adams. His voice is so soothing and the discussion so intelligently entertaining that I keep coming back to this despite my distraction with US politics. It does feature US politics twice a week (once from left, once from right perspective). UK and Australian politics also feature, but sometimes it's all about historical events or a re-examination of a famous person, etc.

Gaming: I listen to Elite: Dangerous weekly podcast Lave Radio even when I'm not playing the game. It's been going for many years and it's hosted by a bunch of mostly-Scottish dads, with a combination of nerd cred and broadcasting experience, so it's done quite well. A bunch of in-game locations and a player-influenced NPC faction are related to the podcast.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 10:52:15 PM by Tale »
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 06:19:15 AM

Invest like the Best - http://investorfieldguide.com/podcast/

Mainly it's a look at people in different industries and how they think, or why they were successful or not successful at their various endeavors. It helps me critically think about my own business and finance decisions.

The Christian Meditation - http://christianmeditationpodcast.com/

Lexio Divina meditations with associated scripture from a guy who is a military chaplain, very good for relaxation or a 15 minute break in the office.

The Shrink Next Door - https://wondery.com/shows/shrink-next-door/

Weird real life story of how a bad psychiatrist can manipulate patients into anything. Also an interesting look into the Jewish culture in NYC and the Hamptons.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 10:08:06 AM

Sometimes I forget we have a Jesus fan here.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 02:36:07 PM

For movies, Pure Cinema Podcast, and Just the Discs are a couple of the best ones that I listen to. The guys involved have a pretty extensive knowledge of film and obscure movies so I often come away from some of these episodes with a half dozen movies I want to watch.

The Pure Cinema Podcast also acts as the podcast for the New Beverly theater and their monthly deep-dive into the theater's programming for the month (a lot of which is selected by Tarantino) is pretty cool. They also frequently go into talking about where and how they get the 35mm prints for these screenings. Of particular note was the episode they did a few months back where Tarantino was on going over all the New Bev programming for the month leading up to the release of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and how each movie they were playing tied in to part of OUATIH.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 10:46:51 PM

The Drabblecast - Strange stories for strange listeners.
Psuedopod - Horror short fiction.  Is in a family of short fiction genre podcasts.
Dragon Talk - Because I am all about D&D these days.
Critical Hit - a 4e roleplay campaign, the only live D&D so far i have gotten into, not too long like many.
Jimquisition - The one video gaming podcast I listen to now.
Lore - a bit heavy on the ads and the author is a odd in the way he reads but overall still very interesting historical stories
Real Synthetic Audio - The one music podcast I currently listen too, better than a lot because he actually introduces the tracks and talks about then a bit unlike many others i tried that just play the songs, great if you love industrial music.

I also second Welcome to Nightvale and Alice Isn't Dead.  In a similar vein if you are starved for that sort of serialized story telling is Tanis and The Black Tapes.  They get pretty formulaic as they progress which is why I haven't fully recommended them but they are decently produced and interesting enough.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 04:24:29 AM

I listen to way too many podcasts and had a pile of recommendations in the previous thread so I'll keep this to some of the newer ones I've found.

I have to give a massive boost to Behind the Bastards done by Robert Evans (no, the other one) who was/is a conflict journalist. Basic idea of the show is a biographical overview of historical and modern terrible people. The format is him with a changing cast of guests (often comedians or other journalists) who come in with no briefing on the person being discussed. It's very much focused on the individual and is sometimes eye opening for showing the dark side of the history of many modern institutions (the episode on the woman who more or less invented the modern US adoption system was pretty crazy). If you've every wanted to learn how buying McAffee antivirus helped fund insane drug cults in Central America or how if you've ever bought Sea Monkeys you've helped fund American Nazism it's definitely worth a listen. The host is good but the quality of the guests varies dramatically and they don't really add much generally. Sometimes they've got an interesting perspective and a few of them are good at riffing with the host but it's very inconsistent. I'd really recommend the Stalin three parter as a bizarrely funny account of Stalin as a paranoid alcoholic who fucking loved practical jokes.

By the same guy, I'd recommend It Could Happen Here that's basically a 'if there's going to be an actual civil war/balkanisation of the US, here's what it might look like' based on his experiences in Iraq, Ukraine and Syria. Any of the tinfoil types like Marhrin would probably enjoy this (or might think it's a bit too obvious). If you want to kind of scare the crap out of yourself with a believable vision of US society breaking down in a way that doesn't involve hordes of Klansmen on quadbikes storming US army bases, it's really worth a listen. Not hugely long.

Our Fake History is another fun one. It's essentially a look at pseduo history from the perspective of understanding where the stories have come from, why they're not solid history and a bit of a look at the actual thing they're covering. The author isn't a historian but is an enthusiast and had initially a lot of issues with getting recognised as a historical podcast because people assumed he would just be talking about ghosts building stonehenge. He has a three part episode on Arthur that covers the evolution of the Arthurian mythos and some of the attempts to 'locate' Arthur in the historical record as well as some of the current best guesses as to where the myth originated. He's also just tackled the whole 'Ancient Aliens' pyramid crap and why (some of the reasons) the Chariots of the Gods? is full of crap.

Aside from those, some of the others I had recommended in the other thread but don't want to forget:

Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast - History of Rome guy covering various revolutions in history from the build up through the actual events. Starts off with the English Civil War, US war for Independence, French Revolution, Haitian revolution and the overall Latin American independence movement. He's got started on the Russian revolution, which is going to be a long one.

In Our Time podcast - Each episode covers a specific topic or person with 3 experts who give a 40 minute overview of it. Not necessarily all going to be to people's tastes but the archives are divided into science. culture, history (and I think one other) that lets you narrow down topics a bit. If you like generally broadening your knowledge on things it's great because they'll often cover topics you'd otherwise not even know existed.

The Bugle - Satircal comedy podcast covering current affairs. Originally it was John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman. Went through a bit of a crisis when Oliver's career really took off in the US and they relaunched and about a year ago Oliver dropped entirely and Andy relaunched again with a rotating cast of guests. It's gotten really good again as a few guests that worked well have become more regular and they've developed their chemistry well. Listening to this I've developed a crush on Australian comedienne Alice Fraser and really need to go see one of the live shows. If you enjoy awful dad puns this one is a must.

Opening Arguments - Originally meant to be a combination look at current events in the US from a legal perspective (and explain legal issues behind them) and general exploration of legal questions people have, 2016 basically turned this into a 'why this other thing Trump is doing is illegal and the excuses from XX lawyer are bullshit'. The legal host is well informed and definitely more centre than left but he's good at giving as much of the benefit of the doubt to opposing views, etc. that it doesn't come off as a massively partisan show. Thanks to this I now know more about the US legal system than the British one!

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 09:15:46 PM

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and Hardcore History Addendum are both fantastic - he has a passion for history in general and it really comes through.  Plus, he's a former wargaming nerd, so you'll see bits of that creep in now and then.  I found it right as Blueprint for Armageddon was getting started and immediately bought the back catalog.  Blueprint (a five-episode, ~20-hour tour through WWI) is his best work and a must-listen.

Tides of History is a bit more content-light and doesn't do the 15-hour deep dives that make HH my favorite, but it's still worth a listen.

99% Invisible and Reply All are both interesting pop-culture and 'weird stuff' shows that are good times.

Will second Schild's recommendation of the Dollop - I wish the episodes were a bit longer, though.

Star Talk.  Who doesn't love Neil deGrasse Tyson?  There are definitely skippable episodes, but it's hit more often than miss for me.

I also like some NPR stuff since it effectively lets me timeshift NPR programming I like - This American Life, Ask Me Another, etc.

Freakonomics Radio

Also, I stay subbed to Joe Rogan because he occasionally has good guests on and he's actually a good interviewer that consistently goads his guests into rambling on and on (occasionally to their detriment).

Also, thanks for the recommendations here.  Adding a few to my subs now.  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:18:12 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 01:17:29 AM

Oooh, if you hate yourself (like me) then I Don't Speak German is interesting. It's basically an overview of, primarily US, white nationalists and far rightists with a mix of current events in the community and overviews of terminology and movements within the far right. It's helpful in so far as understanding some of the memespeak I've seen and it makes it possible to very quickly spot the online dogwhistles that someone is actually a Nazi (or at least has swallowed a lot of Nazi sourced ideas). Considering one of their major recruiting tools is spreading ideas and memes that will dispose people to being more radicalised, there is some civic value in being aware of this shit and being able to spot people who are unwittingly spreading Nazi ideas.

Also re: Who doesn't love Neil deGrasse Tyson. He's a sex creep who has put female employees in very uncomfortable situations but thinks it's their problem they were creeped out because his intentions were totally innocent. He also really likes to be a 'well ackshually...' type regarding hyperbole or genuine grief/outrage over tragedies.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 04:28:03 AM

Here is the current selection (minus German speaking ones). The first batch are those I keep current on:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me (US Public Radio News Quiz)

Friday Night Comedy (Home of the News Quiz, the British pendant to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me)

Daily Show Ears Edition (Audio version of the Daily Show with Trevor Noah, can't legally watch the TV version here anymore, mostly I heard the opening monologue and delete the rest)

Pod Save America (The Podcast to cry about your National Politics

Lovett or Leave It (The Podcast to Laugh about your National Politics)

Real Time with Bill Maher (Still Subscribed to it because he has some funny writers for the opening monolog, but Bill Maher himself is a dick, so I rarely listen to the whole episode)

Gamers with Jobs Conference call (my standard gaming podcast until the new host gets too annoying, seems not as bad as I feared)

Waypoint Radio (my alternate gaming podcast I try getting used to for when Gamers with Jobs fails me, I find myself fast forwarding when I'm not interested in the particular games they talk about, mainly because they do two two-hour podcasts per week and who has the time)

Bald Move (my Go-to TV and Movie podcast, this is the only one I actually pay for currently, current insofar as I've seen the movies and TV shows they talk about)

TeeVe (the dedicated TV podcast of the Incomparable network)

These are for when I'm finished with those and have still time to kill (usually only during summer on longer bike tours):

The Incomparable (Podcast about books, comics, movies, TV shows, and other Nerd Stuff (which is the best 80s home computer etc)

The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry (Podcast of a BBC Popular Science Show)

No Such Thing a a Fish (Another BBC Science podcast)

The Infinite Monkey Cage (And yet another BBC Science podcast, because you can't have enough podcasts that let you pretend you are smart)

Harmontown (Dan Harmons podcast, this is actually finished but still worth listening to if you like nonsene)

Plumbing the Death Star (Comedy Podcast where three Australians discuss dumb questions, a bit like sitting in a bar after a few drinks and discussing stupid shit like "How would you stop John Wick")

Three Moves Ahead (Another Video game podcast, each episode dedicted for in-depth discussion about a specfic game)

Unjustily Maligned (Podcast from the Incomparable network, each episode somebody why he/she likes a particual guilty pleasure like a bad movie or bad TV series)

Dan Carlins Hardcore History

You're Dead to Me (Another History podcast I have tagged for listening to when I have the time)

Welcome to Nightvale (Enough said about that. Best fiction Radio Drama in my opinion, and the one that brought me to this genre)

Hello from the Magic Tavern (Improv Comedy Podcast about somebody who is stuck in a magic land and pocdasts from there)

Mars Corp (Limited run scripted Comedy Podcast about an incompetently managed Mars Station)

Masters of the Metaverse (RPG Actual Play Podcast from the makers of The Gamers and Journeyquest)

D&D is for Nerds (RPG Actual Play Podcast by the Plumbing the Death Star people)

Nerd Poker (RPG Actual Play Podcast by Comedian Brian Posehn and friends)

Adventure Zone (Another RPG Actual Play Podcast)

Total Party Kill (RPG Actual Play Podcast by the Incomparable)

Story Roost (Actual Play RPG Podcast by the Gamers With Jobs people)

Lorehammer (My Guilty pleasure, Warhammer 40k nerds talk about 40k lore, my substitute for sitting around in the games store back room on weekends, which I don't have the time for anymore. This podcast is pretty juvenile, but so is Warhammer 40k)
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 06:31:52 AM

So, would you say you have too much free time?
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 06:52:15 AM

Less than I would obviously need  awesome, for real

I ride my bike about 3 to 5 hours per day after work as the weather permits it, thats quite some Podcast listening time. In the winter I only climb stairs for three quarters of an hour. So obviously I struggle in the winter months to keep up with my podcasts. Right now I lag behind about 2 months on some of them (basically all the non actual news ones). As soon as you get rid of that orange moron I win 2 of those hours back per week. Please do so as soon as possible.

But more time I'll always take. Are you offering?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 07:24:46 PM

As soon as you get rid of that orange moron I win 2 of those hours back per week.

Same, or more so.
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 08:53:34 AM

My commute is shorter than it used to be, so I don't get through as many podcasts as I would like. Of the ones mentioned so far, Hardcore History and Nerd Poker are definitely in my mix. Others-

Security Now!- News and in depth analysis of computer security issues. While it gets techy, it is quite listenable IMO. Steve Gibson is the brains behind it.

The Rewatchables- from The Ringer podcast network; 2-5 people discuss those movies that you can't turn the channel on once you see it is on. Fun insights, and lots of laughs.

Bill Simmons Podcast- Sportscentric, but he branches out into pop culture on occasion. I skip around and listen to stuff I think I might like, but I never miss Guess The Lines on Mondays- Simmons and Cousin Sal (Jimmy Kimmel's cousin) trying to predict the lines for the upcoming NFL week. I think it is hilarious.

Mitch Unfiltered- former Seattle sports radio morning host Mitch Levy with a weekly (twice weekly for Patrons) podcast about Seattle sports, with the occasional foray into other subjects.

DAT Poker Podcast- a rebirth of the old 2+2 podcast, now sponsored by and including Daniel Negreanu (Daniel, Adam Schwartz, and Terrence Chan are DAT), Poker news, some light strategy, and some laughs.

I also listen to a couple of Bigfoot podcasts, but those are only for the slightly deranged  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 05:23:02 AM

The Rewatchables- from The Ringer podcast network; 2-5 people discuss those movies that you can't turn the channel on once you see it is on. Fun insights, and lots of laughs.

How does a podcast solely about The Shawshank Redemption work?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Podcasts  
Jump to: