Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 02, 2020, 04:15:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: No Time to Die (Bond 25) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Time to Die (Bond 25)  (Read 1011 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: December 07, 2019, 04:58:01 AM

https://youtu.be/BIhNsAtPbPI

I don't know why I still bother. But another bond film still written by Purvis and Wade who've written every awful script since whichever one came after Goldeneye.

But hey, action looks cool. Has Christopher Waltz.

Edit by Trippy: fix title
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:32:14 AM by Trippy »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ≠assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:52:28 PM

Who is always a good performer but it doesn't help if his role is completely stupid, as it was in the last one.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:57:49 PM

It looks like Jamesí balls were cut off and put in the female Bondís purse.  Iíll have to hear positive buzz before I go see this one.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 01:30:20 AM

This whole franchise has just been "Random Action Movie" for quite some time now.  Maybe even since Roger Moore.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 02:40:51 AM

It looks like Jamesí balls were cut off and put in the female Bondís purse.  Iíll have to hear positive buzz before I go see this one.

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 06:42:12 AM

If anything that's more true to the books, where James Bond manages to fuck up repeatedly and is often saved by the woman in the story. In the book of Thuderball, in the climactic fight
I'm sure MRA types are going to be up in arms but if anything this is a bit closer to the literary Bond who was certainly chivalrous but also portrayed as having the tactical acumen of a sledgehammer and constantly underestimated all women he came across. Bond wasn't really meant to be an admirable character, he's written as pretty much non-self reflective toxic masculinity who is slowly killing himself with booze and drugs (and quickly killing himself by being awful at spycraft). Bond movies having a strong female co-star is not really a betrayal of the character.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 05:22:19 PM

This is true, but.... the books are terrible.

Craig bond films are the biggest wasted opportunity in the franchise. Best lead, best supporting casts, best ideas, best directors, but such truly awful writing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:24:28 PM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ≠assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 05:35:07 PM

Yeah, the books are in fact bad--the difference between literary Bond and literary Mike Hammer or similar also-rans is surprisingly thin. Fleming was a weird dude and it's weird that this series became the big thing that it did. Connery has a lot to do with that.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 10:04:30 AM

The books aren't amazing and the plots are sometimes just downright bizarre but I don't think it's fair to say Fleming was one the same level as other spy pulp. He sometimes managed some actually nice prose and his main character was written somewhat more nuanced than the typical pulp hero. Bond in the books is a chivalrous thug who spends his time trying to be cynical  but can't help being sentimental. He also is a terrible spy who is frequently saved from disaster just be being very good at shooting people and that's probably deliberate. I think it's also fair to say Fleming was probably one of the more progressive writers of his generation, The Spy Who Loved Me is all told from the perspective of the Bond girl and the first half is her biography getting treated like crap by a series of men and eventually deciding to say fuck it and take off on a road trip across the US by herself.

They're not Dickens or even le Carre but they're a big step up from the standard pulp stuff.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 01:59:04 PM

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 03:04:59 PM

"The Spy who loved me" got a lot of critisism at the time it was released, I think mainly becasue it really showed Bond as bieng not an admirable person at all, but I think it's really the most interestng of the Bond novels, for one thing becasue the woman winds up thinking of this jackass with affection, which is really an indictment of the whole male species she has met so far. It was really a harsh bit of social commentary.

But ya, the Craig films have really been wasted potential.

Sometimes irony is pretty ironic.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 04:59:58 PM

Yeah, the novel version of that is interesting, actually. The movie doesn't use anything from it but the title.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: No Time to Die (Bond 25)  
Jump to: