Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers)  (Read 27102 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #105 on: August 06, 2020, 12:30:22 PM

Ah, that makes sense. Kind of too bad--I was pleased with myself for building the entire network when it seemed like no one else was doing it that comprehensively. In some places it does feel like someone's made a little mini-network, though.
It's possible the mini-network was from a player or players you have stronger ties with (been smashing the Like button on). That also affects what shows up in your world.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: August 07, 2020, 03:18:02 PM

I've decided I would be vastly more scared of BTs if it wasn't for the pseudo-scientific garbage that Kojima does in world-building. Like, if this was just "the worlds of death and life are now intermingled and the dead are angry", the story elements of the game would be better and I would be happy being a weird combination of the Ghostbusters and an Amazon delivery man who occasionally has to listen to Jeff Bezos in his freaking fucking mountain office tell me about his sex life and his theories of ghosts or whatever. I'm really not looking forward to wherever the inevitable train wreck of the storyline crashes. Kojima is like Tim Burton--someone needs to take storytelling responsibilities away from him and make him a kind of complicated art director/world creator/characterization man only and exclusively.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #107 on: August 07, 2020, 08:23:03 PM

I have to really agree. The entire story is just lost on me and entirely got in the way of the game. It’s like four hours of dooms and chiral whatever malarkey was going on just to get to some game.

I just didn’t get it.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: August 11, 2020, 02:50:48 PM

I'm also kind of done with games that force me to be a fucking idiot or not ask story-relevant questions when the story is force-feeding me reasons to not keep going. I get that Sam Porter Bridges is meant to be a man of few words and deeply repressed and all that, but about halfway through the game he's got plenty of reasons to go on strike and refuse to reconnect America or whatever until he gets some clear answers from the people in charge.

There's also shit that just doesn't make much sense, as per Kojima. Like, the terrorist MULEs shoot at you with the intention of killing you. Are they suicidally trying to cause a voidout in the middle of their own camp? Why not just hold a lottery and have Joe MULE commit suicide? Kind of fucks up the cargo holding if you blow your hoard of cargo up every time a porter comes through the camp, you know? It would have made more sense to stick with a world where nobody except a total nihilist would ever ever want to kill another person except by knocking them out and taking them to an incinerator.

Anyway, the game was fun. Kojima has fun ideas for game systems and a good sense of how to build something that keeps you engaged.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #109 on: August 11, 2020, 02:56:52 PM

I'm also kind of done with games that force me to be a fucking idiot or not ask story-relevant questions when the story is force-feeding me reasons to not keep going. I get that Sam Porter Bridges is meant to be a man of few words and deeply repressed and all that, but about halfway through the game he's got plenty of reasons to go on strike and refuse to reconnect America or whatever until he gets some clear answers from the people in charge.
He's trying to reunite with Amelie. Reconnecting things is just a means to that end.

There's also shit that just doesn't make much sense, as per Kojima. Like, the terrorist MULEs shoot at you with the intention of killing you. Are they suicidally trying to cause a voidout in the middle of their own camp? Why not just hold a lottery and have Joe MULE commit suicide? Kind of fucks up the cargo holding if you blow your hoard of cargo up every time a porter comes through the camp, you know? It would have made more sense to stick with a world where nobody except a total nihilist would ever ever want to kill another person except by knocking them out and taking them to an incinerator.
A regular person doesn't necessarily go nuclear immediately when they die (Sam's "dying" is special but the MULEs probably don't know that). So they presumably believe they would have time to either incinerate the body somehow or move it somewhere else.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: August 11, 2020, 03:19:52 PM

So even if a dude gets killed by gunfire in your camp, I would think the terrorist MULEs wouldn't be able to get the body all the way to the incinerators, and they don't seem to want to blow up the communities that keep generating all that lovely cargo, so it means a long damn trip to a barren place. It would almost have made sense if you found an informal corpse disposal site somewhere. I guess the two big tar lakes are sort of that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers)  
Jump to: