Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers)  (Read 27099 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #70 on: November 28, 2019, 08:33:05 AM

Doing a lot with the bike right now, including going up and down craggy rock faces... not sure if that qualifies as exploiting.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #71 on: November 28, 2019, 10:38:07 AM

Spent the last two days building the road system from Port to South. I have no idea why or how I did it, but finished it last night. I regret nothing. On Episode 5 with Andie McDowell's kid.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #72 on: November 28, 2019, 02:14:16 PM

Doing a lot with the bike right now, including going up and down craggy rock faces... not sure if that qualifies as exploiting.
Given the game gives the bikes an explicit Jump function to get over obstacles and makes it so if your wheelie-ing you are more stable over rugged terrain I would say no.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #73 on: December 04, 2019, 05:37:54 AM

Melancholy night. Finally got to chapter 6 and SNOW and MOUNTAINS  Heart

But

Depending on where they saved my progress last, I may just try to go the long way 'round. Instead of heading back to the mountain knot, I'll hump over to the weather station and just take the road on the long, mind-numbing drive across the entire map.

Also, bikes handle like pigs. At this point I usually sacrifice speed to not, you know, fly off the road when I randomly can't make a corner on the bike. Trux r gud.

Still, it's a fun visceral gameplay loop most of the time, and the fact that I'm in chapter 6 and still having new elements open up is pretty cool.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #74 on: December 04, 2019, 07:29:17 AM

Some tips for dealing with BTs.

You can throw a hemantic grenade on the ground in front of the approaching “tar hands” to stop them from reaching you. If you are caught up in the tar, in between trying to shake them off the game will periodically let you throw a grenade if you have one equipped (you kind of have to spam L2 while also spamming Square).Throw it at your feet and you’ll be able to (slowly) walk out of there without worrying about being dragged down.

Killing a “boss” will clear the area of BTs until you leave it and come back. If there’s postbox in a BT area you can dump off the cargo you don’t want damaged and then go in there and fight the boss. Don’t stray too far from the box though as the game does treat cargo in a postbox private locker like it does cargo in vehicle where if you get too far away you will lose the cargo.

BT spawn areas that are close to facilities are good places to practice fighting BTs and bosses since you have a convenient place to reequip and possibly rest. I spent a lot of time around the Wind Farm farming bosses for Chiral crystals to build out the roads in my world. Somebody also built a Safehouse next to the facility in mine so I could periodically rest and take a shower.

Boss killing tip:

Also, bikes handle like pigs. At this point I usually sacrifice speed to not, you know, fly off the road when I randomly can't make a corner on the bike. Trux r gud.
Yes the turning radius on those things is terrible when you are going fast.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: December 04, 2019, 08:13:15 AM

Thanks for the tips. I've been kicking BT ass all up and down the pike (I did my heavy chiral farming north of the Craftsman), but without the BB it's a pain in the ass. I have on idea why this particular boss beat me the first time, I had him at half health and was dodging his charge and womp womp dead boom. The second time I never got a boss, the hands pulled me down and game over. The hands the first time, I was in deep snow and didn't have the rough terrain skeleton yet. The second time, I dunno. I did forget about using grenades on them, because I haven't had to since chapter 2. The whole scenario just kind of bummed me out because it seemed to act differently those couple of times I mentioned.

Also, I'm playing on Easy, so a lvl 3 assault rifle is usually enough for most things, though I wish I could switch modes to single/triple. I've never liked full auto. I'm using the non-lethal one, so I can have a single slot for BTs/MULEs.

I almost never shower in the game because I find that amusing.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #76 on: December 04, 2019, 09:37:23 AM

Here is my experience, which I report simply because it seem to outline how differently the game can be played.

1) I have never ever shot a single bullet of anything to a BT. I always thought they would alert all of them and I wouldn't want to fuck it up. Hematic Grenades, for sure. Plenty of those.

2)  Never had a voidout. I honestly didn't even know they were in the game until Strazos asked about them in Discord..

3) I have been caught by BTs only three times over the entire 15 chapters and 80 hours of the game. This could be due to me being over-cautious, but I honestly started thinking pretty soon that while they were cool and totally scary, they were never even remotely a threat. Just there to set the mood. In short, super easy to avoid them (with the BB of course) and most of the times also very possible to avoid their areas. And don't get me started about boss battles, I don't even know if they can be failed. I am not a good gamer at anything in particular, and I played this at Normal difficulty. Stuff just barks at you, but never ever bites. Finally, BTs really become absolutely trivial when you unlock a certain "method" at some point halfway through the game.

4) I don't remember what I did when I was without the BB, but I have no particular memory of that being a challenge which leads me to think that I was able to somehow ignore them and stay away from them. How? I am not sure, I can't remember, but there has to be a way cause that's what I did. I probably went super wide somewhere and maybe placed a couple of crucial ziplines? Which again makes the game even cooler.

5) Finallty, the best weapon against MULEs is a box. Any box. Just smash ANY box in their faces and that's not only a one-shot kill, but it also feels incredibly satisfying with that slow motion animation.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: December 04, 2019, 09:48:20 AM

The guns are fun and look cool. I loved the bola, and the anti-BT gun is more effective; but I also like the versatility of the non-lethal gun (fires rubber bullets and anti-bt rounds).

The problem isn't really fighting the BTs, per se. Just the awkward setup without the BB and weird insta-deaths.
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: December 04, 2019, 11:03:20 AM

So I am currently playing and remember entering my real month and day in the birthday thing at the set up of the game. Interesting part is every interaction or when calling out in the world gets replies of happy birthday. That's pretty cool.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: December 04, 2019, 11:22:26 AM

Just to follow up on my dumb story for the benefit of f13ers reading this in the future:

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: December 04, 2019, 11:35:55 AM

That first walk up the mountain (at least for me) from Mountain Knot City to the Roboticist, knee deep in snow, surrounded by BTs and with all my packages slowly being corroded was legendary. It'll be one of my favourite gaming memories for a long time.

I was already in love with it, and then the mountains bumped up my appreciation of the game another 20%.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: December 05, 2019, 08:18:16 AM

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #82 on: December 05, 2019, 01:29:17 PM

Here is my experience, which I report simply because it seem to outline how differently the game can be played.

1) I have never ever shot a single bullet of anything to a BT. I always thought they would alert all of them and I wouldn't want to fuck it up. Hematic Grenades, for sure. Plenty of those.
They kind of do and they kind of don't. Mostly don't in my experience. I used to carry around a shotgun with me regularly to finish off wounded BTs instead of using another grenade on them (don't carry one around as much right now after some equipment upgrades) and only once when shooting one that was close to another one would I say that the second one knew where I was just from firing the gun. I.e. its hands went straight for me after firing the shot rather than just searching around like nearby ones normally do when you aggro a single BT. However I've also fired off rounds from relatively close range that completely missed the target and the intended target didn't even start hunting for the me.

4) I don't remember what I did when I was without the BB, but I have no particular memory of that being a challenge which leads me to think that I was able to somehow ignore them and stay away from them. How? I am not sure, I can't remember, but there has to be a way cause that's what I did. I probably went super wide somewhere and maybe placed a couple of crucial ziplines? Which again makes the game even cooler.
If you are careful and stop moving between scans you can avoid being detected since the scanner can reveal them before they can detect you. That's how I did it. Plus I took the more direct but harder to traverse route which has fewer BTs in between.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #83 on: December 06, 2019, 07:10:19 AM

The "map" button in most PS4 games is the touchpad. This gets me in the most BT trouble.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: December 06, 2019, 07:19:49 AM

Yes. Also I'm often late pulling my gun because I go to the GTA/RDR left shoulder button.

I rushed chapter 5 to ditch that whole 'navigate BT areas without the BB' nonsense, which bums me out because climbing those pristine pre-chiral network areas was maybe the best part of the game thus far.

So I'm in chapter 6 now, heh.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #85 on: December 06, 2019, 09:14:10 AM

“I’M SAM!”

What messes me up with the controls is that they are multi-function / context sensitive. E.g. I’m constantly punching things because the Square button is mapped to some many things. I also like having a carrier around with me which means that if I’m in some frantic combat I end up with cargo in both my hands rather than shooting / throwing if the carrier ends up in front of me. And for a game about Liking things it’s surprisingly difficult to do so. You have to be facing exactly the right way at exactly the correct distance to Like something, and then you literally have to spam the Like button rather than just being able to hold it down.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: December 06, 2019, 09:24:55 AM

I don't use the carrier, but fighting MULEs and sometimes even BTs (random cargo on the ground), I get a lot of cargo pickup instead of aim/shoot. And I punch my truck constantly. Constantly.

Another awkward one is scanning/zooming while driving or L2/R2 stabilizing the load, though that's more of a normal awkwardness since I like my index fingers on the triggers and the shoulder button hop (switching my index for middle without letting off the trigger) is something I encounter fairly regularly.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #87 on: December 08, 2019, 07:41:36 PM

Finally finished the story. I was trying to 5 star all the locations before finishing, which is why it was taking me so long, but one of them is "stuck" and I can't get it advance. Hopefully the patch this month will fix that and I can get that achievement.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: December 09, 2019, 01:36:22 AM

I finished the story and then tried to five star everything. I am only a few stars left. Which one is stuck and how?

What do you think of the story and the ending?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: December 09, 2019, 06:33:16 AM

I've been trying to get most of the gear that I use unlocked, currently trying to work the Roboticist. Ironically, as soon as I started working toward the lvl 3 all-terrain skeleton, I found one in a BT zone, on the ground. So I've made use of that to develop and improve the ziplines around the mountain knot region. Just finished a nice little set that connects it up with the central lake/weather station region, just need to finish up the spur to the incinerator area.

Basically spent the whole weekend dicking around in the snow. Awesome. For me, stuff like that is 100% of the game.

I think I'll make another story push after that. I'm still in episode 8.
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: December 09, 2019, 09:03:03 AM

Finally finished the story. I was trying to 5 star all the locations before finishing, which is why it was taking me so long, but one of them is "stuck" and I can't get it advance. Hopefully the patch this month will fix that and I can get that achievement.

This has been me. First I was all about building the roads out. Once I got those to a point where the story took me further, I went back and 5 starred the starting zone and have been 5 starring each prepper and installation as I have been going. Picking up loose cargo for those I need the rep with just to get a sticker on my pants. Haven't come across any I haven't been able to progress (save for the pizza fuck which I am leaving till the end).

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #91 on: December 09, 2019, 11:34:21 AM

I finished the story and then tried to five star everything. I am only a few stars left. Which one is stuck and how?
My game is not dropping any Lost Cargo for one of the hidden preppers so I can't get them past the "4/5ths" star state right now. I.e. I found the location, did one of their terminal missions to retrieve something for them to get them to the 4/5ths state (actually did that mission twice to see if the 2nd time would unstick), got some email from them, but now I can't finish that star to get them on the network cause I can't find any Lost Cargo for them. I may try cleaning up the entire snow mountain area at some point to see if I can get some cargo to spawn but that takes a lot of work. I did try cleaning out some of the more "drop-heavy" areas to force those areas to respawn cargo but that didn't help.

What do you think of the story and the ending?
Overwrought, confusing, and nonsensical. In other words a typical Kojima story awesome, for real
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 09, 2019, 12:05:21 PM

I'm still trying to get him to 2 star to open up his chiral network  why so serious?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #93 on: December 09, 2019, 01:59:39 PM

Haven't come across any I haven't been able to progress (save for the pizza fuck which I am leaving till the end).
Pizza guy is story progression gated. I.e. after each of his missions you have progress the story a certain amount (it varies) and then rest before he'll contact you again for the next one.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #94 on: December 15, 2019, 11:48:56 PM

My game is not dropping any Lost Cargo for one of the hidden preppers so I can't get them past the "4/5ths" star state right now. I.e. I found the location, did one of their terminal missions to retrieve something for them to get them to the 4/5ths state (actually did that mission twice to see if the 2nd time would unstick), got some email from them, but now I can't finish that star to get them on the network cause I can't find any Lost Cargo for them. I may try cleaning up the entire snow mountain area at some point to see if I can get some cargo to spawn but that takes a lot of work. I did try cleaning out some of the more "drop-heavy" areas to force those areas to respawn cargo but that didn't help.
Patch dropped so I played some more. Still can't get Lost Cargo to drop for one of the hidden preppers but that's actually not necessary -- the stuff I had read was inaccurate / incomplete in terms of completing star levels -- so I've made some progress and should be able to finish up 5-star-ing everything in another day or two.

Spoilers on how to deal with the "stubborn" hidden preppers:

Edit: patch lets you dismantle vehicles and also makes your cargo stack semi-transparent when in BT territory so you can see which way your scanner is pointing and you don't need to switch camera shoulders.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:51:49 PM by Trippy »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: December 16, 2019, 08:54:02 AM

I've been taking a bit of a break but I've suspected the same thing, since I haven't had issues with the First Prepper. He gets a lot of deliveries because he's right off my mountain region zip line network. Setting that up was a heck of a lot of fun, and I'm kind of bummed that I got cut off by lack of chiral bandwidth. Worse because my network uses as many public zip lines as possible to save on my usage of the bandwidth (meaning lots of suboptimal routes, but it would still cost more to do them all myself).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #96 on: December 16, 2019, 11:50:08 AM

Setting that up was a heck of a lot of fun, and I'm kind of bummed that I got cut off by lack of chiral bandwidth.
That's one of the benefits of 5-star-ing everything is you gets lots of bandwidth to build stuff with.

Worse because my network uses as many public zip lines as possible to save on my usage of the bandwidth (meaning lots of suboptimal routes, but it would still cost more to do them all myself).
Yeah I've got some of that zig-zagging going on in the snow mountains in my world as well. I do have enough spare network points to fix some of that stuff up but I'm currently saving them to connect up the "lowlands" after finishing off my stars.

But the game is also smart about what stuff from other players it puts in your world. In mine, while I do have Zip Lines from other people, almost all of them were disconnected from each other -- there were only a handful of connected of pairs that spawned into my world. At first I was kind of annoyed by that but after connecting up the snow mountains I realized it was doing that intentionally -- i.e. even though the game puts in a lot of stuff from other players with the Zip Lines it wants you to do most of that work yourself. The same with the roads. In my world, only a few road segments were not completely built or finished by me. Most segments did have other people contributing to them (in some cases quite a lot of resources) but I had to finish them off. And the game gives you repeatable quests to help you do that, like the one in Port Knot City which gives you a ton of Ceramics (9x320) from a super simple quest.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: December 16, 2019, 12:34:43 PM

Agreed, I'm constantly surprised by little things like that. It's to the point where if I see a complete dead-end zip line placement I'm apt to think I'm missing something. Most of the time, I just need to find a clever placement to bridge some gaps. But my favorite lines are the ones where I install all of it, getting them put up in a perfect spot to connect up several lines and have them all on nice outcrops or peaks...mmm...

I guess I should have looked into cell tower placement as a career.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #98 on: December 16, 2019, 01:02:54 PM

Yeah the PC version is going to be crazy. I should be able to give myself unlimited resources to build the "perfect world".
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 16, 2019, 01:03:47 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that  ACK!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 17, 2020, 09:06:14 AM

Ski resort in Death Stranding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnJMElfDItc

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #101 on: January 17, 2020, 09:19:36 AM

He totally stole my completely original idea why so serious?
I'm hoping the PC version will have a more explicit "grouping" function than the PS4. Then we can get an f13 group going to build the ski resort I'm fantasizing about right now in the "Rockies".
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: August 06, 2020, 08:34:56 AM

I'm finally playing on PC.

When I had to take a certain person to Mountain Knot City, I decided 'f-it, I'm walking up from the Weather Station". That felt very cool. That made me want to build a network of zip-lines through the mountains. As of yesterday, I have made it possible to go from the Craftsman to South Knot City via zip line, with every destination in-between reachable except the Film Director and the Cosplay person. Everybody else you can zipline pretty much from their front door to anywhere else. This has been great fun. I load up with stuff that's just under my weight limit, stagger to a zip line and then I don't come down again until I'm pretty much at the destination. Takes a lot less time than it would on an all-road trip with a bike, usually.

I do not understand why people build ziplines that are just by themselves--it's weird. I've been able to use some of those to extend my network, but a couple are just in really bad places so I had to make one that could actually connect that's only 30 m or so from the one that's hidden behind obstacles. It can't be that I'm seeing the ghost of a network that has decayed--the game hasn't been out on PC that long.

The game itself is the usual from him--stuff I like very much and stuff that makes me go completely WTF. I occasionally take a break from zipline building to take down a group of MULEs (why aren't the shooting ones scared of a voidout? they're not the guy who actually wants to blow shit up, or so it seems) and sometimes to fight BTs. I find BTs annoying--I do like that you can use the bola gun and cut their cords, but that usually gets the tar-hands on me--it's a bit like having to rush to kick a MULE who has been bola'd. It's not the usual combat, I'll give it that. You have to have a lot of ammo/gear on you to take out a BT boss--it's not a thing you want to stumble into, it's got to be your purpose.

I decided to teleport back to Capital Knot City just to do a couple of runs and earn some more stars so I had more chiral bandwidth and you know, the runs between locations in the beginning are WAY tougher than the mountains/lake runs. That's not just because people don't build paths, roads, bridges as extensively in that area. The Wind Farm is a fucking PITA to get to in any vehicle or on foot and the run to the lake from the mid-map is also a super big PITA--you essentially have to drive right through two BT areas where there's no ability to swerve or avoid going right into tar hands, so you just have to get out and kill them. It's a curious decision--I guess they're introducing the basics in a way that makes you have to deal with it so you're ready for later. But the first area is really just not very fun in comparison to the mid-game.

I suppose I'll go see Heartman soon, but I'm honestly not all that jazzed by the thought of advancing the story. I really dislike the combat Beach sequences.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #103 on: August 06, 2020, 11:36:29 AM

I do not understand why people build ziplines that are just by themselves--it's weird. I've been able to use some of those to extend my network, but a couple are just in really bad places so I had to make one that could actually connect that's only 30 m or so from the one that's hidden behind obstacles. It can't be that I'm seeing the ghost of a network that has decayed--the game hasn't been out on PC that long.
I don't have proof of this but I'm pretty sure the game does this intentionally. It will of course add player added stuff into your world but not *too* much player made stuff cause it wants to allow you to mostly dictate how things will be setup in your world. It's more obvious to see with the way road construction works. You'll see other players add resources to road segments over time and some segments will even be completed by other players for you but you won't see a large stretch of road that's completely built by other players -- the game wants you to do that part. The same with ziplines. The game will scatter about ziplines, usually disconnected from each other from other players into your world but it wants to you do all the major connections.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: August 06, 2020, 12:22:05 PM

Ah, that makes sense. Kind of too bad--I was pleased with myself for building the entire network when it seemed like no one else was doing it that comprehensively. In some places it does feel like someone's made a little mini-network, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers)  
Jump to: