Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers)  (Read 27098 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 12:51:14 PM

Trippy, I love that you made a point of NOT ever using vehicles. Your stats tell a story of a thousand Bridges boots burned, and that's just more evidence of how good this game is.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: November 18, 2019, 01:18:31 PM

Yeah my Delivery Time Level/Rank is suffering, though. Not sure what benefits I'm missing out from having it that low. Also you can't Legend timed Premium orders purely on foot. So I'll have to use bikes if I want to Legend those.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #37 on: November 18, 2019, 01:21:34 PM

We should probably do a thread or something  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Following up about my tale of the rustbuckety and new shiny MULE trucks...it didn't take long for my new shiny to turn into another rustbucket...so I decided to use the last durability to build out the roads a bit more for easier bike travel. Made a bad attempt at fording a small river and got the truck stuck nicely between a couple rocks. I went back to get the original bucket (which was parked on a road somewhere), and at some point the new bucket despawned as an abandoned vehicle. Which was weird because the original bucket had been sitting on that road for days.

So I drove the original bucket into a deep river, I think it despawned instantly in the red-depth water (I couldn't see because I was swept into the side of the bridge, it was gone when I got out).

Now hoping new trucks spawn at that MULE camp. Just playing with the mechanics is a fun diversion. Lots of little 'I wonder if I can do this' things.

I'm the opposite of Trippy. I love the ground game, but I've been in a truck or on a bike almost nonstop for days now. I want to slow down a bit, but the area around Port Knot and the Craftsman/Engineer are a bit more bleak than interesting to traverse, and I've only just started moving again (only as far as the Weather Station).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #38 on: November 18, 2019, 01:25:14 PM

I'd move all the posts into a new thread, but I find it hard to simply schedule a haircut these days. Maybe another mod will do it.

My PSN permissions are likely very open. I'm avoided there as well. Since not all the names and pictures match up, just write a convincing note and all is well.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 18, 2019, 11:14:39 PM

I don't know anything about this game you are all talking about other than what you all are writing about here....and none of it makes any goddamn sense. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 02:13:09 AM

That's the beauty of it. The least you know about every single aspect of it, the better.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 06:12:50 AM

As someone who grew up in a pizza town, it gave me great joy to get a pizza delivery mission where keeping the box horizontal was a mission priority. Good news everyone, in the apocalypse we've gotten delivery times down to around 2 minutes!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 07:30:52 AM

PRO TIP: Do all the pizza quests.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 19, 2019, 07:54:13 AM

There was never any doubt!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I decided to go back and clean up some of the stuff I left in the eastern region. Told myself I'd hump it on foot, immediately jumped on the nearest bike  why so serious? Cool to see my old bridges with 4 digit likes, funny how the game hooks into that feedback loop from social media so easily.

Pro-tip: When you like something, you can mash the like button for as long as the little timer is counting down on the NPC/Item's nameplate. I can get about 300-350 range rn.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 19, 2019, 08:29:20 AM

After 75 hours, I finished the story last night. It never ends. Basically, when you trigger the end of the game a 1 hour and 30 minutes movie starts. Occasionally you have to touch the controller but you are by all means watching a 90 minutes movie.
It is ridiculous. I personally enjoy Kojima's cinema a lot, but there are lots of aspect of this ending "sequence" that even I could not appreciate.

Ohhhhh, I see.

With that said, I still enjoyed the cinematic aspects of Death Stranding very much, and while the story makes very little sense, being a weeabo and an anime lover doesn't make me clash with that. I mean, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for example makes zero sense and yet it's fantastic. This is how I see the story of this game, your usual anime extravaganza, directed by a Japanese man and played by Western actors. Works for me.

With the story out of the way, I am back in the delivery/building loop. As Trippy pointed out you can enjoy the sandbox endlessly and I plan to do that for another 100 hours. So many roads that need to be rebuilt, so many achievements to unlock, so many places still to explore.

10/10.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #45 on: November 19, 2019, 08:39:52 AM

PRO TIP: Do all the pizza quests.

Krusty Krab Pizza is the pizza for you and me....

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 19, 2019, 09:17:25 AM

I'm assuming this game requires a solid internet connection, of course. Which means it is not for me right now (hell, I had problems with Conan Exiles), but maybe next year if Starlink is actually a thing that works.

So my question -- I buy this game this time next year will the whole world be just one big empty parking lot, paved by players long gone? Is the world recycled every once in a while?

Cause this sounds like a game right up my alley, but I am going to have to wait to play it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #47 on: November 19, 2019, 10:12:12 AM

I'm assuming this game requires a solid internet connection, of course.
Not really. You can play offline completely if you want (though I wouldn't recommend it) and it's also fine if you are playing online and your connection to their servers goes up and down -- it doesn't interrupt your gameplay, you just get a notice that you've been disconnected. And most other player-generated stuff also won't blink in and out of existence when you do (signs may be one exception, those seem more dynamic).

So my question -- I buy this game this time next year will the whole world be just one big empty parking lot, paved by players long gone? Is the world recycled every once in a while?
Unknown at this point how that's going to work and what your world will look like if you are a newcomer joining the game "late". You could also wait for the PC version next summer and experience a true "everybody's starting fresh" world.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 19, 2019, 04:25:26 PM

I think I am just not a Kojima person. The weirdness in his stuff annoys me; it doesn't seem Japanese as much as him personally.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 20, 2019, 09:41:59 AM

I'm assuming this game requires a solid internet connection, of course.
Not really. You can play offline completely if you want (though I wouldn't recommend it) and it's also fine if you are playing online and your connection to their servers goes up and down -- it doesn't interrupt your gameplay, you just get a notice that you've been disconnected. And most other player-generated stuff also won't blink in and out of existence when you do (signs may be one exception, those seem more dynamic).

Unknown at this point how that's going to work and what your world will look like if you are a newcomer joining the game "late". You could also wait for the PC version next summer and experience a true "everybody's starting fresh" world.

Actually that's pretty encouraging. Do you encounter other players in the game, or just the things they have built? Also does lag have any effect on fighting mobs and such (I would think no, from what you've said)?

I probably will wait for PC release (and hope this is not another Red Dead Redemption) just because, but dang if this is not looking fun.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 20, 2019, 09:57:43 AM

It's asynchronous "multiplayer" so no you never ever encounter other players. Only the things they build and traces of their passage, like signs or rock cairns. There is not gonna be any lag cause everything happens on your console locally. The multiplayer element is simply downloading location for some player buildings and vehicles in the background and uploading them to your PC. That's it. You could be on a 33.6k modem and the game would play exactly the same on your PS4.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #51 on: November 20, 2019, 11:40:25 AM

Also does lag have any effect on fighting mobs and such (I would think no, from what you've said)?
Like Falconeer said everything runs on your local machine so a bad Internet connection doesn't affect your character's movement and the like (e.g. no rubber-banding and such). However it's possible a bad/slow connection may cause some delays when loading in some of the multi-player data.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 21, 2019, 07:36:17 PM

Thanks guys, sounds like a solid deal. On the Christmas list it goes (not even going to wait on PC).
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #53 on: November 25, 2019, 10:31:13 AM

Wow... took the plunge because the holidays are coming and now's the time to eat a bad game cost and not feel it too badly. That said, this game is pretty enthralling. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Been awhile since I got sucked into a game, but strangely it is pretty easy to come and go. I tend to finish my play times in my private room, but if need be I like having the save options out in the world.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: November 25, 2019, 10:57:28 AM

It is so weird how bewitching it is. Also, they struck a wonderful balance with the (perceived) difficulty, progress and satisfaction levels.

Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: November 25, 2019, 11:17:40 AM

For me, I appreciate how they took simple delivery quests and emphasized the journey getting there. That's the focus more than the reward at the end. It is very interesting and I am really engrossed while I am playing it.

Not to even mention the eye candy on my PS4. The graphics are pretty striking given it is pouring out of an old ass original PS4.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #56 on: November 25, 2019, 08:12:50 PM

So is there a way to directly add folks here as Strand Contacts or whatever in-game? I seem to only be able to "interact" with players whose structures I've interacted with - I cannot seem to interact with friends who are also playing.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: November 25, 2019, 08:43:21 PM

Nope.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: November 26, 2019, 01:45:34 AM

That was a disappointing find. Unlike some other games, where your friends tend to show up more often than randos in your world, this doesn't seem to be the case at all here.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: November 26, 2019, 07:00:52 AM

Getting a little more of the downside of the 'player content' the last few days. I'm amazed it hasn't been worse, up until now it's been almost entirely helpful and positive. Now I'm seeing a lot more junk laying around, people leaving vehicles and junk in the roads is one of the worst griefy things. Last night I spent a half hour deconstructing bridges and structures made in nonsense locations (just a bridge in the middle of a plain kinda thing).

Not a deal-breaker, but it does knock back immersion a bit when you see 25 trucks sitting around, or a bridge spanning nothing.

The stuff in the roads part kinda pissed me off, tbh.
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 09:03:35 AM

Getting a little more of the downside of the 'player content' the last few days. I'm amazed it hasn't been worse, up until now it's been almost entirely helpful and positive. Now I'm seeing a lot more junk laying around, people leaving vehicles and junk in the roads is one of the worst griefy things. Last night I spent a half hour deconstructing bridges and structures made in nonsense locations (just a bridge in the middle of a plain kinda thing).

Not a deal-breaker, but it does knock back immersion a bit when you see 25 trucks sitting around, or a bridge spanning nothing.

The stuff in the roads part kinda pissed me off, tbh.

AFAIK, you can hide from TimeFall under bridges. https://www.reddit.com/r/DeathStranding/comments/du957t/you_can_wait_out_timefall_under_bridges/

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 09:20:18 AM

It sounds like your world is “messier” than mine, I have the same “bridges to nowhere” problem but I just ignore them. My roads have been clear of vehicles though I have had to clear a few distribution center ramps and elevators of vehicles but I don’t think of that as deliberate and more people not realizing where their vehicles show up in other people’s worlds. I fortunately haven’t encountered people blocking hard to reach locations with vehicles either like I’ve seen on Reddit. The package thing in the road I do encounter but I’m not sure that’s a player thing or a game spawning things only in certain locations thing.

The only outright griefy thing I’ve encountered so far is a bridge that goes over a BT spawn location which will aggro the BT if you walk over it. But I don’t know if the player was trying to helpful with the bridge (the bridge isn’t over a river but the terrain is rugged) or was deliberately trying to get other people attacked. I also encountered a climbing rope wrapped around a tree making it useless without a lot of work but I figured the owner must have done that themselves rather than another player doing it to the rope before it showed up in my world.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 09:24:42 AM

But why not just build a timefall shelter, then?

As far as blocking places, I hope my old truck despawned properly and didn't propagate to anyone's world...it was stuck in the entrance to the Cosplayer. Oops!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #63 on: November 26, 2019, 09:32:04 AM

That’s more a reason for you to not dismantle them from your world than a reason why it was built in the first place.

As far as blocking places, I hope my old truck despawned properly and didn't propagate to anyone's world...it was stuck in the entrance to the Cosplayer. Oops!
Yeah that’s one of the places that gets blocked by vehicles. Apparently grenades can fix that issue.
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: November 26, 2019, 10:29:54 AM

But why not just build a timefall shelter, then?

Oh I agree with you... that's a whole lotta resources to drop on a shelter to get outta the rain and you also don't get the repair function. The only thing I'd guess is the bridge lasts longer?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: November 26, 2019, 12:12:43 PM

That’s more a reason for you to not dismantle them from your world than a reason why it was built in the first place.

Yeah that’s one of the places that gets blocked by vehicles. Apparently grenades can fix that issue.

As The Binary One says, I just find it weird because the timefall shelter only requires the PCC. Now a huge deal, but gets a little blighty with a bunch of bridges on a plain without ravines.

Grenades...smh I forgot, since I don't use them at all (in ch 4 currently).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: November 27, 2019, 09:34:05 AM

Decided to do a timed run from south knot city to the timefall farm, then realized there's no vehicle-friendly path. Noticed a 'here' sign on the map, so I went over 'there' and found that you could navigate the fallen bridge at the southern end of the central map. Little thing, but I love worldbuilding like that. I need to get out and just explore more.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 27, 2019, 09:36:40 AM

That run screams for a couple ziplines.

To be fair, eventually ziplines can "ruin" the game for you as they are addictive and trivialize everything, so I mostly use them now cause I have explored everything. But even in the earliest phases, a couple of well placed ziplines are very satisfying and don't do too much damage.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #68 on: November 27, 2019, 11:18:38 AM

Decided to do a timed run from south knot city to the timefall farm, then realized there's no vehicle-friendly path. Noticed a 'here' sign on the map, so I went over 'there' and found that you could navigate the fallen bridge at the southern end of the central map. Little thing, but I love worldbuilding like that. I need to get out and just explore more.
I've been driving a truck around a lot lately (long story) and have also noticed things like that -- like large boulders that are spaced just far enough apart that you can fit a truck through. I.e. places you would think you couldn't take a truck to/through you actually can (without resorting to abusing the vehicle physics) because a designer carefully laid out a route for you.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #69 on: November 27, 2019, 11:43:21 AM

I fortunately haven’t encountered people blocking hard to reach locations with vehicles either like I’ve seen on Reddit.
Of course later in the day yesterday after I wrote this I ended up getting blocked by a vehicle at the Cosplayer awesome, for real

The entrance was totally clear when I got there but by the time I finished completing my orders, when I turned around, there was a truck blocking the entrance. Fortunately I was able to jump over the front driver's side wheel to get out.

There's a patch coming mid-December that will allow you to dismiss vehicles so that'll be handy.

https://twitter.com/KojiPro2015_EN/status/1199704601471127552/photo/1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Death Stranding (may be some story spoilers)  
Jump to: