Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gaming Podcast 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gaming Podcast  (Read 1678 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

on: October 21, 2019, 11:05:05 PM

I need some help here.

I've been a listener of the "Gamers with Jobs Conference Call" for many years now, because it was a mature and laid back podcast without the usual cool gamer antics and shooter preference. But since the lead fucked off to become a Buddhist monk or something the woman that took over made it a chore to listen to it and I feel slighty dirty supporting her into changing the podcast into a personal vanity project.

So, while I see if the other podcasters there (which have been suspicously scarce the last few weeks) reign her in or not, I'm searching for an alternative. I've tried Waypoint Radio (because one of the contributors is a Gamers with Jobs alumni , but while they are somewhat entertaining when talking about games, their political views are somewhat suspect to me when they bleed through (they seem to be more conservative leaning, their rant against leftist Disco Elysium is a sight to behold). I may be defaulting to the Giant Bombcast or Giant Beastcast (don't get the difference yet), but they sound kind of bland and mainstreamy at first listen.

Any ideas what could fit my profile? The Podcast search in Pocket Casts is not as helpful as I hoped.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 03:19:15 AM

Haven't really listened to any game podcasts in a while (since 1UP collapsed really). I listen to the Bombcast/Beastcast off and on, but after Ryan Davis passed a way several years back, and some of the staff moved or left the site both podcasts suffer from having half their rosters being kinda dull.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:16:46 AM

RebelFM, not so great name, really good gaming podcast. Note the shouty theme song is an artifact of the age of the podcast. It isn't an indicator of the tone of the cast.

I haven't heard the Disco Elysium Waypoint cast, but I wouldn't have ever thought to call them conservative leaning.

Rebel and Waypoint are the two I have continued to listen to even after stopping my long commute.

Three Moves Ahead is good for strategy gaming. They cover computer and board gaming.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 08:58:37 AM

Well, maybe I judged them unfairly and I should continue listening. Could be I subconsciously searched for a way to evade a podcast that made two episodes a week.  awesome, for real

Three moves ahead is indeed quite good, but I was searching more for a current gaming news podcast to supplement it. I'll give Rebel FM a try, thank you.
dd0029
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 09:36:04 AM

Rebel is good for gaming news. The two main hosts are Anthony Gallegos and Arthur Gies. Arthur was an editor at Polygon for a long time until he left to complete his MFA. He's now working as a freelancer.

For Waypoint, they generally do one games focused cast and one more things they're interested in cast each week.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 09:53:33 AM

Giant Bombcast is the west coast team of Giant Bomb, while the Beastcast is the east coast team. I listen to the Bombcast although it's kind of annoying how they slobber over every new shooter. Largely their tastes in games don't run in parallel with mine, however, I'm an old dude that mostly just plays jRPGs, online RPGs, survival sandboxes, and the occasional mainstream PS4 release. I'm nobody's demographic.

They still have enough of a quorum usually that there's an educated and well thought out take on any game that's released. Hell, they're the reason I picked up Dead Cells. They lean socially liberal, which is nice as gamers can sometimes get into a really weird libertarian/conservative bent that makes me want to vomit in my own mouth.

Beastcast is OK, but I can only listen to so much podcasting during the week. Abby is kind of terrible, but I get her place in the pod. I just wish she wouldn't take completely ignorant positions and defend them so fiercely. Her God of War take was absolutely mind numbingly stupid. The Jeff/Brad combo is better than the Vinny/Alex combo at moving podcast along.

-Rasix
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gaming Podcast  
Jump to: