Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Peaky Blinders 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peaky Blinders  (Read 2579 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: October 11, 2019, 06:05:52 PM

We're working through the third season finally, trying to catch up for the fifth.

It has a lot of resemblances to the Godfather films thematically, but I have to say that Cillian Murphy makes a great romantic/criminal lead in the Michael Corleone vein. If I were a casting director, I'd be putting him at the top of my list for a very large slate of roles just based on his performance in the series.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 07:28:40 AM

I’ve been watching my way through this too and was surprised at the hate I see directed it’s way. Cillian Murphy really puts on a performance and the supporting cast are no slouch either. It’s well crafted even if the storylines and plot twists have been done before, seeing early last century Birmingham is also impressive. The music choices are interesting too and after a few episodes it stopped being so jarring and I just went with it.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:09:27 AM

So, I started watching the first season some time ago when it first launched, and I just petered out somewhere in the middle of it.  It's.... hard to say why.  I really liked the first few episodes, but things started just annoying me with ham fisted love interests and other plot points I can't remember.  Just lost the will to watch because it felt like the interesting premise got bogged down in uninteresting stuff.  For those of you who have gone on much longer (man, didn't realize it had this many damn seasons now) is later stuff considered better than the first season, or do you all really love the first season also?  This will give me a good gauge on if I should try to push through to later content, heh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 03:46:37 PM

I get it re: the love interests and also some of the sudden twists, some of the forgotten characterizations (and characters), the tendency to just suddenly jump forward. I also wish that the main character were occasionally as good a plotter as the series needs/wants him to be. But I find it stylish and enjoyable when it's good--a high-toned soap opera with some Godfather-ish DNA.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 02:48:12 AM

Don't know about the end, I didn't get that far, but definitely becomes a slog in the middle seasons.

Everyone gets more and more unlikeable without showing any particular competence or pay off on plotting. Main character gets beaten up, main character gets up very slowly and just punches harder this time.

Cast is good though. Can understand people getting through this just on strength of performances.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:51:31 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 10:35:13 PM

This show is EXTREMELY MY SHIT.  Just got hooked onto it and watched all 5 seasons over the last couple of weeks.  You have to go into it knowing it is a wildly over the top potboiler at its heart.  They also keep cranking up the crazy, over the top shit and I just love how they bring in the big guest stars to be the big bads* who just eat the fucking scenery. I love it so much. The ridiculous slo-mo shots, the blasts of flame for no reason, fog machines, plot twists, the music, T&A, some actual historical context. I mean, come on.

*Spoilers for all 5 seasons bad guys
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:27:46 AM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 02:51:19 AM

I have not yet watched any, but I appreciated your post.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 07:24:57 AM

I really enjoyed the first few seasons of this show, but it got a bit too crazy for me after that!

- Viin
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 09:58:50 AM

Embrace the crazy!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 11:04:46 AM

I tried watching the show when it was first put on Netflix years ago and I got through a couple of episodes and just lost interest.

The performances were great and everything but for whatever reason it just didn't click with me.

To each their own.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 11:35:28 AM

I AM BILLY KIMB-AH
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 04:15:05 PM

Oh, the other cool thing is as it has become more popular on BBC (it won the Best Drama BAFTA for season 4 and switched to BBC One where its audience tripled) they are spending more on music. Finally included a couple of highly apropos Black Sabbath songs.

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Peaky Blinders  
Jump to: