Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:25:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ad Astra 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ad Astra  (Read 2849 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: September 28, 2019, 01:35:39 PM

Do not see this film.

The director has some serious brass balls to be running around talking about how realistic the film is. In scientific terms it's roughly as plausible as Star Wars. There's some shit that anybody who knows even high-school level astronomy or physics would be just laughing at.

But that's not the least of it. The plot has absolutely ridiculous contrivances that stomp even the most resolute suspension of disbelief into goo. I really thought they were going to eventually drop the obvious shoe of saying "oh it's all a hallucination, he's back on Earth taking a shower" because it's about that wildly implausible in the second half of the film.

Also an extremely dull and conventional character arc.

Brad Pitt gives a good performance in service to an horribly done film.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 03:26:17 PM

OK.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 09:15:16 PM

The trailer itself kept trying to be like 3 different films all mashed together, each one of them with a tone that was massively incongruous with the others.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 10:36:56 PM

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 12:10:25 AM

Looked like an Interstellar knock off.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:45:48 AM

The trailer was already bad. It looked like a mashup of three different films with the connecting idea being that the protagonist has some sort of weird daddy issues. Also bullshit 'science' and the likely plot twist that "dad has been the bad guy all along" being telegraphed from three miles away.

Like M. Night making an Interstellar knock off
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 08:33:17 AM

Trailer lost me at the part when Sutherland told Pitt's character he looked like his dad... Tommy Lee Jones. what?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 10:11:17 AM

It's also a weird religious/atheist manifesto with the trite moral of of "people are cool, be nice and connect with people", never before seen in any piece of literature or art to date.

It's just all around shit.

Some bits are so bad they're good. That's about all I can say for it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ad Astra  
Jump to: