Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:18:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: JoJo Rabbit 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: JoJo Rabbit  (Read 5395 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: September 03, 2019, 07:13:35 AM

How is there not a thread for this already? This is Taiki Waititi's new movie, due out in October. It looks funny as hell, and yes, that is Waititi playing Harvey as Hitler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4McUzXfFI

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:12:01 AM

It does look good. I remember reading somewhere it got a lot of pushback because of the Hitler as an imaginary friend thing. Knowing our luck, the alt right will adopt this as their movie and totally miss the point of it. Still, it looks really funny though I wonder if it is going to take a dark turn towards the end.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 05:20:06 PM

Stunningly weird.  I've watched the trailer a number of times now, trying to get a handle on the movie.  I'm going wait for some reviews before I commit to seeing it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:46:49 AM by Brolan »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:18:29 AM

Yeah, I mean, I'm really looking forward to this actually.  But even after watching the trailers, I'm going to wait and see if people say they stick the landing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 08:04:19 AM

It's Waititi. It's going to stick the ending.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 04:19:19 AM

Sorry, didn't mean ending by that.  I mean, taking this wacky concept and translating it into an actual great movie experience.  I have a high degree of trust in Waititi to do just that, but it seems like a lot of movies with outlandish concepts fail to bridge that gap.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 06:43:39 AM

To be brutally frank, if you can manage Thor Ragnarok, you can pretty much manage anything.

I'm still in awe of that.  Nothing about it should work at all.

And yet, it's fucking brilliant, bar my one niggle about Ruffalo.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:30:44 AM

What was that one niggle?

(and yes, Ragnarok by itself has purchased him at least 3 shitty movies before I start to actually question him).

-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 11:31:18 AM

I did not like the way Ruffalo played Banner in that movie.  It was jarring different than previously and, frankly, was just like Ruffalo playing... Ruffalo.  Never at any point did it feel like the character he'd setup in any of the other movies (or the ones thereafter.)

I've mentioned it before, but It may just be one of those 'Me' things.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 09:51:02 PM

Only Waititi could play a hilarious Hitler.  Really enjoyed this. Very impressive all around, especially since it rests completely on the performance of a first time, 11 year old actor. 

There is also a bit of Wes Anderson in this, which is never a bad thing IMO.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 04:12:41 AM

I thought it was okay. There are a few fantastic moments, but I feel like it didn't quite stick the landing. What I liked most was actually the lopsided German view of the desperate, hopeless last days of the war. Almost made me wish the film was a bit less of a farce, though I'm not sure the American viewing public is ready for that even today.

I agree about Wes Anderson, especially in the writing and the colorful sets, though it was significantly less deadpan than he tends to direct his actors.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 07:41:17 AM

I enjoyed it. I'm not sure how much the world was crying out for another take on Nazi Germany.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 01:48:47 PM

Only Waititi could play a hilarious Hitler.  Really enjoyed this. Very impressive all around, especially since it rests completely on the performance of a first time, 11 year old actor. 

There is also a bit of Wes Anderson in this, which is never a bad thing IMO.

i've only seen the trailer but literally it looks like a remake of moonrise kingdom for bits of that.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 06:00:03 PM

It's more the aesthetic/palette than the actual vibe, if that makes any sense.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 08:37:25 PM

Finally got around to renting this. It was much better than I expected. I have to admit, Waititi is quickly becoming one of my favorite writers and directors. I don't know how he managed to go from humor to, well, the second half of the movie but he did it.

The scene where Jojo follows the butterfly and

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: JoJo Rabbit  
Jump to: