Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Carnival Row (Amazon) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carnival Row (Amazon)  (Read 9816 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

on: September 01, 2019, 02:19:56 PM

So this just popped up on Prime this weekend.

Is somewhat interesting and has a decent cast (Orlando Bloom, Cara Delvinge, Jared Harris, and Indira Varma for the ones I recognized in the first couple episodes.)

Kinda steampunk meets peter pan.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:10:22 PM

Meets the Kama Sutra.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 08:35:08 PM

Yes, but is it watchable? It looked very predictable to me and not in a good way.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 08:37:39 PM

Yes, but is it watchable? It looked very predictable to me and not in a good way.

It's watchable, not sure if you will like it, but it is well put together.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:23:34 PM

Watchable.

The sex is a tad gratuitous, but it's got some really promising world building. I'm super down with a World War I-ish era version of Shadowrun.

Solid production values, decent acting. (Half the time, I hate Cara Delavigne anytime she opens her mouth, but she's a proper badass here and she sells it.)

That said, the allegories for today's racism/nationalism are a bit heavy-handed but that's what the temper of the time calls for, so I'm not gonna shit on that too much. It does turn a couple of well-worn tropes around though.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 08:32:32 PM

I had to actually look up what I've seen Cara Delavigne in... and it was Suicide Squad. A movie that I liked yet she was pretty much the worst character in it, and I'm counting the Slipknot dude's who only power was the ability to climb anything and who got his head blown off within like 2 minutes of the mission starting.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 08:38:32 PM

She was also Laureline in Valerian. She admits she's a shitty actress because she was so focused on modeling, but she's actually watchable here.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 05:39:28 AM

Its like a victorian era Bright.

I am the .00000001428%
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 11:21:07 AM

This might seem dumb, but Orlando with dark hair is a better actor.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 09:04:21 PM

Its like a victorian era Bright.

Nah, Bright was trash, this actually has a few redeeming qualities.

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 04:49:33 AM

I actually liked Bright. It was pretty straight forward and knew exactly what it wanted to do. The trailers for this looks like a sandbox mmo with no quest but with plenty of "epic scenery".
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 06:56:52 AM

I think thats a better description than the one I wanted to use.

I would have said the movie is the equivalent of a good roleplaying setting used by a shitty DM.  awesome, for real
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 07:57:22 AM

I actually liked Bright. It was pretty straight forward and knew exactly what it wanted to do.

Wow, no.  No.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 04:29:32 PM

Both this and Bright are "ok but not great", don't get the hate for either.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 12:11:51 AM

Look, I'm ok if you like Bright.  That's fine.  But you CANNOT say that it knew what it wanted to do.  It's a lazy, lazy, lazy film.

It mashes up every other story/movie you've ever seen, the plot makes no sense and, finally and crucially, the worldbulding is TERRIBLE.

Lindsay Ellis did a review that was worth a watch;  let's see if I can dig that out.

Ah, here it is.  https://youtu.be/gLOxQxMnEz8

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

I actually liked Bright. It was pretty straight forward and knew exactly what it wanted to do.

Same. I liked Bright, Waterworld and John Carter. Probably better go watch Carnival Row.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 12:57:46 PM

Same. I liked Bright, Waterworld and John Carter. Probably better go watch Carnival Row.

You started ok, then just slid off a cliff.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 10:01:35 PM

Waterworld was alright. It got a lot of shit beccause people were sick of Costner and his antics at that point, but as a film it was a decent enough watch. Apart from Costner pulling his shit.

Hic sunt dracones.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 07:50:24 AM

Don't know about john carter. I see bright more in vain with venom. cheesy fun movies that shouldn't be taken seriously.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 09:41:03 AM

John Carter was a good movie that was horribly mismarketed, and would have been a decent start to a franchise if the fuckheads in charge had not been so criminally retarded.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 10:31:23 AM

Wife and I are penciling this into our list of shit to watch. And just to join in the current wave of the thread, I really liked John Carter but I had no prior expectation and watched it on a whim. I also like Bright... not for the story though, mainly for Noomi Rapace in that makeup and the visuals in general for that movie. Story was crap though...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 09:16:44 PM

What a page of opinions:
Valerian was a mess but she was the good part in it, whatever that is worth.
Bright was better off not being thought about during or esp after but that's fine. Was pretty fun and we don't get Shadowrun esque settings as often as we deserve.
Venom was art compared to just about everything else being thrown about in here.
John Carter was so bland and forgettable I'm not even sure if I've watched it and I think I have twice. Maybe.
Take Waterworld out of your mouth if you aren't going to say good things.

I saw the trailer for this and just got sad that Taboo still hasn't got a second season. I think I would watch it if bothering to open Amazon / remember it exists wasn't so unlikely any given night.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:19:22 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 07:55:27 AM

Watched the first episode and it was interesting enough that I would have immediately watched the second had it not been past 1am. Prime Video was down for me most of the evening. It could get worse, but so far it did a pretty good job of setting up an interesting world and setting up the greater plot for the rest of the season. I may have to put on CC to catch some of the garbled fae related slang that I'm not picking up.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: September 18, 2019, 06:19:38 AM

Watched it all and don't regret it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 27, 2019, 11:11:00 AM

This is actually fucking great.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #25 on: October 03, 2019, 07:06:48 AM

This is actually fucking great.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Agree. Just finished the series and it was awesome. Such a detailed and deep fantasy world.

This Orlando Bloom was a revelation.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #26 on: October 05, 2019, 04:59:34 PM

Who could have guessed he could act? I enjoyed it, though pacing was odd, and the end was pretty thoroughly telegraphed.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 06:46:10 AM

I don't know if that was actual acting, but it was enjoyable either way.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 02:03:52 PM

This is actually fucking great.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Agree. Just finished the series and it was awesome. Such a detailed and deep fantasy world.

This Orlando Bloom was a revelation.

It is a steam punk fantasy noir story and does a really good job of hitting those notes. A lot of people just don't get/like noir stuff so I could see this leaving those people cold. But it is really a well done noir story in an interesting setting.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 05:18:34 PM

It is a steam punk fantasy noir story and does a really good job of hitting those notes. A lot of people just don't get/like noir stuff so I could see this leaving those people cold. But it is really a well done noir story in an interesting setting.

The depth of lore made me search for the novel it was adapted from. As far as I can tell, it's an original work and there's no novel, which is remarkable for a TV series with such a backstory. I started reading the fan wiki instead.

Later I chatted with someone who had watched Undone, which we had both enjoyed. I said I had also just finished Carnival Row and loved it... and the other person's face fell: "I did not have the same reaction to Carnival Row."
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 06:26:34 AM

I thought this was an excellent series! Don't know where they'll go with season 2, but given season 1 came from nothing I have confidence.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 06:42:51 PM

Season 2 of Carnival Row just went live at Amazon Prime Video (first two episodes).

There's a 5-minute recap at the start to jog your memory. I've only watched 15 minutes of season 2 so far and baulked at some bad CGI, but I'll give it a good go. People seem to either love it like me or hate it, but Season 1 had one of the best-realised fantasy worlds I've seen on TV.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: February 17, 2023, 06:50:21 AM

I hope that five minute recap is DAMN good because I don't remember a fucking thing about this show, even though I liked it.

I am the .00000001428%
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 07, 2023, 09:52:48 PM

I enjoyed the first season but the second one sadly feels a bit uncertain about what it's doing. Not sure it's going to be able to do much in the last two episodes and probably good this is the end of it.

Ok still, just a shame they couldn't match the first time around.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Carnival Row (Amazon)  
Jump to: