Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:12:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Streaming device with its own audio out - not single hdmi out. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Streaming device with its own audio out - not single hdmi out.  (Read 5973 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: August 30, 2019, 03:09:52 AM

My crappy amazon streaming dongle only has the one hdmi out with audio and picture. That means to get proper sound I need to pass the picture through my amp as for whatever dumb reason the TV can't passthrough dolby digital.

This has to stop. Because fucking around getting the amp to pass through the picture annoys me and drives my wife into an incoherent rage.

Anyone know of or recommend a streaming device that has a separate audio out? Or am I missing the point entirely and do I need to do this a different way?

Also why is modern technology rubbish now?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 04:53:15 AM

Why exactly is running the HDMI through your home theater receiver a big deal?

That is pretty much how everything works these days. I don't ever change the inputs on my TV, I just switch between them on my receiver.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 06:12:14 AM

Your first mistake was getting the Amazon device. I've found the Amz version of every device to be the bottom device in all categories.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:30:58 AM

At least you have the option. I have a pre-hdmi receiver that I actually like. So give me optical or gtfo.

Also I think the assumption is everyone just has a shitty soundbar now.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 06:36:09 AM

I do agree with Chimpy, though. This is how things are done now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 07:08:27 AM

My crappy amazon streaming dongle only has the one hdmi out with audio and picture. That means to get proper sound I need to pass the picture through my amp as for whatever dumb reason the TV can't passthrough dolby digital.

This has to stop. Because fucking around getting the amp to pass through the picture annoys me and drives my wife into an incoherent rage.

Anyone know of or recommend a streaming device that has a separate audio out? Or am I missing the point entirely and do I need to do this a different way?

Get an HDMI audio extractor with the features you need. I use them for my consoles to output plain old stereo to connect to my studio monitors. Some of the ones I use(d):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Y3YZGD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIQER0E
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHS8LD8
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:14:27 AM by Trippy »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:32:12 AM

I feel your pain, but as I understand the history preventing you from doing what you want was one of the driving forces behind the HDMI license -- something something antipiracy...

Thanks Trippy for those links -- when I get around to reorganizing my sound system I now know to search for "HDMI audio extractor." That should work for getting around the lack of separate audio out for this damn XBOne...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:51:32 AM

Get an HDMI audio extractor with the features you need. I use them for my consoles to output plain old stereo to connect to my studio monitors. Some of the ones I use(d):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073Y3YZGD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIQER0E
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHS8LD8

Thank you - this looks like the correct answer.

I do agree with Chimpy, though. This is how things are done now.

Yes, well, the world is often awful and wrong.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:34:36 AM

I tend to pass everything through my TV and back out to my receiver.  Means we don't need to play with inputs on the receiver each time we change devices, making everyone else's life much simpler.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 12:02:03 PM

Does either passthrough method reduce latency vs hdml video and optical audio?
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 03:57:38 PM

I tend to pass everything through my TV and back out to my receiver.  Means we don't need to play with inputs on the receiver each time we change devices, making everyone else's life much simpler.

So you’re changing inputs on the TV instead of the receiver.  Doesn’t strike me as an improvement, especially since it’s easier to get a receiver with more inputs than the typical TV, and to do cable managrment on a receiver, particularly vs. a wall-mount TV

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 02:42:20 PM

I find it a lot easier to train people to switch inputs on the TV rather than figuring out why the Playstation 4 is in the "DVD" port on the receiver, etc.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 05:16:51 AM

TV switch works fine for me. Besides any possible latency issues (I don't have these), this is probably a QoL question. It is somewhat easier for guests and doofuses, though.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 07:05:55 PM

We are in the TV as A/V receiver camp outputting audio to the old Yamaha A/V receiver which doesn't have HDMI in or out (optical, component or RCA) but does have good clean power and sound for the speakers.  The only drawback seems to be we have to use the Yamaha remote for volume and the TV remote for switching and whatever input device remote for actual tuning/selection. Which is 90% of the time a wireless mouse for surfing amazon/netflix on the laptop hooked up to the TV.  Not sure buying a new receiver that could output video to the TV would really mean fewer remotes anyway, would probably still need the damn TV remote for something or other since idiot manufacturers can't be arsed to put control buttons on their devices anymore leaving you completely dependent on the remote to do anything.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Streaming device with its own audio out - not single hdmi out.  
Jump to: