Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Kards - WWII themed CCG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kards - WWII themed CCG  (Read 2138 times)
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

on: July 24, 2019, 12:27:58 PM

Bad name, good game. My cousin pointed me to this... Free to play on Steam.

Kinda surprised by how much I am enjoying it. Decently balanced and the draft mode is a lot of fun, and you earn enough free stuff to the point where I haven't bought a single pack.

I personally like Jap rush decks.

Japanese - Infantry, speed
US - Armor, buffs, air, Infantry (bad removal)
Germany - Armor, Air, (good removal)
Soviet - Numbers rush, strong removal
British - Strong defense, buffs, decent removal

Unit overview -

Armor - Can move and attack in same turn
Infantry - slower, but typically strong attack/defense and harder to remove
Fighters - Can attack from support line. Protects your units from bombers
Bombers - deal damage but do not receive any in return (unless against fighters). Typically high cost to use
Artillery - Deals damage but does not receive any in return

When you play a unit, i goes into your support line. You may have a maximum of 4 units in the support line. Units can only be deployed and moved to the front line on the same turn if they have the Blitz Ability. Guard is like a taunt, protecting adjacent units (but not from arty / bombers). Fury is 2 attacks per turn.

Anyway, try it out if CCGs are your thing. I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 12:58:43 PM

This game is kinda cool.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 01:19:55 PM

I personally like Jap rush decks.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 09:46:43 AM

Nice find.

Deck size is a bit small as are max units on a line. I sort of wish there were 5 lines if they wanted to do the small units/line restriction instead of three. Also seems to need more cards that do splash to neighbors etc.

I don't get why bombers can even attack fighters, that seems stupid thematically.

My deck is US/GB so far I've just put everything with card draw in and have 3/3 Desert Rats for removal/pinning and I'm undefeated except one JP AI (i've fought AI twice because it failed to find a human oppo). That deck was nuts, it spammed a card that did 1 dmg and pinned all ground units and DAI JAPAN EMPIRE or something that just buffed its board and ran mono-bombers which led me to realize how dumb it was that bombers can attack fighters. If you need bombers to be able to attack fighters they should only force them back into hand not destroy them imo.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 04:10:04 PM

Is this a Hearthstonelike?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 04:36:15 PM

Looks that way* except there's a "frontline" mechanic where (normal) ground units have to move to before they can attack and it looks like most of the additional mechanics revolve around that mechanic. E.g. (most) infantry can't attack the same turn after moving to the frontline but (most) tanks can. Aircraft can attack from the back and can directly attack your HQ unless you have a way of intercepting them. Artillery can attack from the back and don't take retaliation damage. Etc..

So basically it seems like the game is balanced around P2W constructed where you can stack removal to deal with all these frontline exceptions or have a 0 to low cost "weenie" deck since with draft it seems very easy to get yourself screwed.

I found this beginner video which shows most of the mechanics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1yfXMYZ7VU

This the top negative review on Steam right now: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198154752390/recommended/544810/

Edit: *you choose the target of your attack
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 04:43:14 PM by Trippy »
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 07:37:34 AM

It doesn't play like HS at all really.

Same mana system and units pick attack targets and the rarity of cards determines how many copies you can have in a deck but beyond that not really the same at all.

They added a level of less suck by making units have 2 costs. A deploy cost and an action cost. So to move (from line to line, though they really should let units redeploy within the line, or make a unit type that can do that idk) or to attack you have to pay the action cost. Which makes turns more interesting in the midgame than HS where you just do your combat math and swing everything each turn. You won't have the mana to both develop your board /and/ swing away many turns/decks. This gets extra interesting because obviously action cost can be both lower or higher than deploy cost.

From there it gets even more different because its based around unit classes as Slay described. Now don't get me wrong, I highly doubt they got the balance right on their initial set, but zero card games do. I've only played newbie sandbox level shit.

The addition of the "frontline" which is more of a no-man's-zone between the two HQ's is the other big change. Tanks and infantry cannot attack the HQ or units in line (support line) with it unless they are in the frontline, they have to spend their action cost to move there and only one player can have units in the frontline at any given time.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:44:01 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Kards - WWII themed CCG  
Jump to: