Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Kingdom Death: Monster [NSFW] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kingdom Death: Monster [NSFW]  (Read 25684 times)
schild
Administrator

on: July 07, 2019, 07:26:24 PM

Well. All of my figures are done. I paid a nice french man to do all this work so I can just play the game. Which I haven't done yet, but I'm going to in the next couple weeks. This is everything game-related from KDM except armor kits and Spidicules which is a stupid model and no one should own it and its dumb and spindly and should only be sold if you have it. Fuckin Spidicules.

Anyway:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 07:43:20 PM by schild »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:24 AM

I just have the one painted still  awesome, for real Picked a heck of a time to stop painting minis! And sniffing glue.

A fan has done a kind of 'where are we now' for the new content that starts here: https://wednesdaynightgames.home.blog/2019/07/05/whats-coming-for-kingdom-death-part-1/

I'm pretty happy I went all-in, but I knew that was going to be the case.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:35:33 AM

I saw that post on reddit yesterday. He didn't really even scratch the surface of where things actually are now - which can only be described as a hellbasket of disorganization and question marks.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:28:35 AM

I love the style on those minis Schild. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that? I doubt I'll ever have the budget to have mine painted by someone else, but I'd like to know what amount of money are we talking about.

schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:55 AM

$370 for painting and assembly. I just handed him the sprues.

I got a screaming deal.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:17:21 PM

Those minis really do look amazing.  The lantern effect really sells the aesthetic.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 12:55:35 PM

It's a great deal, but you're also getting bargain-level work. Minimal prep during assembly, quick airbrush/drybrush paint jobs. If the guy is familiar with building this set, he likely did the whole thing in a work day.

Not knocking it, they look good for the table and you can't beat that price to get the set painted and assembled.

I should just build mine out and hit em with the zenithal prime (black base, grey and white shot out of the airbrush to give lighting effect).
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 02:48:05 PM

A few of the lighting angles are odd, but I really dig the style on those a lot. I did my MoM character minis in Whitewash and they look really good, imo. I wish I would have done a single color on one part of them like this person did, looks sharp.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 03:03:26 PM

The entire exercise for him was to make it thematically match the game. I don't particularly care about minis being elaborately painted out of imagination. I just want my games to be complete as they should've been.

For sure, Sky's survivor is dope, but that's just not where I'm at with board games. If I get the Death High minis when they release them in plastic, I might do something more elaborate and colorful. And by do something i mean pay someone to do something.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 06:49:25 PM

I agree, Sky's work is great, but I'd rather play KD:M with schild's minis.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 07:47:25 AM

Very cool.  Let us know how the game plays once you do get it on the table.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 03:39:45 PM

I'm not Schild, but I can answer questions about how it plays if you have any specific ones. My main takeaway about KD:M is that it is an excellent idea for a game that is held back by having a lunatic who is often pretty bad at design in charge of it. Which is not to say that it's a bad game. It's not, at all, but it could be a ton better than it is.

I think the bulk of the problem is that Poots clearly designs for a particular experience, and not to make a good game, and the experience he is designing for is that humans are the bottom rung of the food chain of this universe and that their existence, to borrow from Hobbes, is nasty, brutish, and short; and that's interesting, and even occasionally compelling. Fantasy has been built around hero tropes, and honestly they're kind of done to death. Playing in a world where you're all basically doomed and it's just a question of how much value you can eke out for your settlement before dying miserably is a fun inversion of that, and some of my favorite KD:M experiences have been the times when it all goes horribly, horribly wrong. A few games ago we had a hunt that we just rolled preposterously badly on, and while we still got within 3 hits of winning, it ended with one character devoured alive and slowly masticated to death, another who didn't get to take an action for something like 7 turns as the monster just charged back and forth across them trampling them into the ground repeatedly, and our "savior" character swinging their mace to make a last ditch heroic save, and hitting themselves in the chest sending a bone fragment into their heart and dying instantly.

These experiences are pretty common, and it reinforces the theme, but experiences like this are mixed in with a lot of "gotcha" design. There's lots of ways that you can fail even in victory and getting "good" at the game largely becomes a question of experiencing something that seems like it should be a win, having your most experienced survivor just promptly die in ways you can't control at that point, saying "Well that's fucking bullshit" and figuring out how to avoid ever being put in a situation where that bullshit event can happen to you again. And again, that's ... fine initially. The game is already all about learning what tricks the monsters are capable of and then working around them, and you don't really mind those initial complete settlement wipes where you need to start the campaign over again from scratch because you're still learning the encounters. But eventually, the notion of fighting another half dozen level 1 white lions so you can get back to the interesting stuff is going to sound agonizing. And once you've gotten comfortable with the game, and you've started internalizing the systems, it becomes apparent just how terribly balanced the game is.

I'll give an example. Weapons have 3 basic stats. Speed, accuracy and strength. Speed is how many dice you roll to hit, accuracy is what you need to roll higher than to land a hit, and strength is added to a secondary roll to decide whether or not your hit actually penetrates. So, cool, weapon variety, that's a good thing right? And they line up neatly the way you'd expect. You've got big 2 handed swords with low speed, but really high strength, and daggers for example, have really high speed, but low strength, and in a well designed game, there would be places where you'd want to use either of those depending on mood/situation, but nope, in KD:M, using daggers means that you're either trying to turn up the difficulty, or that you're new to the game, because high speed/low strength weapons mean you get lots of hits, but most of those hits will fail to penetrate, and many monster hit location cards have "Miss" reactions when you hit but don't penetrate, so all of those non-penetrating hits just means you're pissing off the monster and giving it free attacks. Great. There's actually a place in the meta for high speed/low strength weapons, but they're all katars, not daggers. Daggers are almost universally garbage, except for one which is available only in a promo pack, and is almost brokenly good.

The game is fullllll of this type of stuff. You're presented with a broad range of different ways you can approach situations, but 90% of those will be wrong, and balance is all over the place. One of the expansions has a bow that you can get in the first year of the campaign that's vastly more powerful than anything else you can get before midgame, and basically trivializes the first half of the game. There's entire classes of weapons and armor that are basically just a big badge reading "I'm new here". There's an entire expansion that's almost universally hated because as written it's just not worthwhile as it replaces an existing monster that is basically strictly superior in terms of risk vs. reward. Monsters come in different levels, and some gear is locked behind fighting higher level monsters, but often that gear is worse than what you can make by just farming the lower level version of the monster and far, far less risky.

On top of that this game has some of the worst editing you will find in any game on the planet, which considering the price tag is just unforgivable. There's constantly references to cards that changed names at some point in the design process so you're stuck going "You want me to find the Disgusting Glorp card? Weird, I don't have one of those. I guess maybe that's talking about Unpleasant Muck? Or maybe the Vile Goo? Hopefully so. Guess I'll play that way". The rules are a mess and occasionally contradictory. The usability is a super mess. Just do yourself a favor and photocopy your own copy of the severe injury charts, because you'll get really sick of flipping to those pages in the manual. There's infinite loops you can use to exploit the game, which generally I'd say "It's a co-op game, if you want it to be fun, obviously don't do things that break the game for you", except the game is so relentlessly punishing that the temptation is often "Ok, well, the game is throwing stupid bullshit at me, so I feel totally justified using this other bullshit back against it", and it's never clear if they're intended or not because Poots is a total lunatic and makes insane rulings without any seeming internal consistency. Lots of the "fixes" in 1.5 just broke other things far worse, etc. etc. etc. At least once per game session we encounter some ridiculous thing where the FAQ contradicts the rules or the rules themselves contradict the rules, or just general stupidity and we all take a moment and scream "POOOOOOTTTTS!!!!" at the unfeeling walls and move on with our lives.

Phew. That's a lot of ranting, and I haven't even touched on the misogynistic miniature design or the general juvenile nature of aspects of the setting. All of that aside though, the game is actually incredibly compelling. The core gameplay loop of "Hunt monster/get its stuff to make it easier to hunt monster again/move on to bigger monster" is a lot of fun. Monsters vary wildly, even within a monster class, because it will take several iterations of fighting a monster before you see all of its cards, and it's a game you can play for a long, long, loooooong time, so on a $/hr. basis the game doesn't even end up that expensive, assuming you like the core loop. Despite being emphatically not the target market for this game (I notoriously dislike unmitigatable randomness, and that's practically the central design mechanic of this game), I've spent more time on it than most things and as long as the rest of my group keeps focus, I don't see that going away any time soon.

Honestly though, the thing I'm most looking forward to is seeing the KD:M clones start rolling out, because the game does very little that can't be *greatly* improved upon by people with more grounded design sensibilities... which reminds me that I've been meaning to try out some of the community edition "patches" to the game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 04:49:21 PM

Me and my (distant) friends started ourt first KD:M campaign tonight in Table Top Simulator. To say that I am impressed and we had a blast would be a wild understatement. I am sure there's a lot of bullshit waiting for us, but so far I must say that this is awesome.

EDIT: I am referring to KD:M, not Table Top Simulator which is just a crutch in this case. It goes without saying that I wish I'd be playing the real thing. Also, in our First Story a character died and another lost a leg. I love these things.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:25:57 PM by Falconeer »

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 05:52:49 PM

Me and my (distant) friends started ourt first KD:M campaign tonight in Table Top Simulator. To say that I am impressed and we had a blast would be a wild understatement. I am sure there's a lot of bullshit waiting for us, but so far I must say that this is awesome.

Yeah, I just want to make it clear, I critique because it's in my nature. KD:M is a singular experience that nothing else out there really comes close to meeting at the moment. It just does so despite itself in a lot of ways. Most of the things I'm bitching about won't even begin to be an issue for people until after they've already spent more time on it than probably any other game in their collection. They aren't really even an issue for me. I'll sight unseen buy any new game content he puts out, and I'm several thousand dollars in the hole at this point.

I just wish he'd spend some of that money buying a god damned editor.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 03:42:09 AM

"Several thousand dollars". That's just... I can't even find the words.

So let's assume me and friends decided to pool money and purchase some of this craziness. The core box is $400.

Questions:

1) How do you get to SEVERAL thousand dollars?
2) What expansions would you consider very very important if not mandatory to get for a good experience?
3) On the official site they sell a thing called "Expansions of Death Vol. 1", which is $777. I honestly can't see myself or even my group of friends ever spending $777 on this, but is the stuff you get with it usable and good, or mostly garbage that would end up not played? Basically, it is "good value" for the price?

schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 08:48:28 AM

Getting to several thousand on KDM is utterly trivial. First things first - if you pool money for the game, you want to buy all the content you can afford every Black Friday and never on any other day unless it's limited edition. To wit - no expansion has ever been limited edition. Sometimes there are figures (which Goldenmean buys, because he can't help himself) that come with like 1 or 2 new cards that ARE LE, but besides that, the core content is pretty easy to acquire.

At retail, simply by buying the core set and the full wave of current expansions, you're looking at $1177 ($400+$777).

During the last Kickstarter, if you went all-in, at the low end you were looking at around $865, not including the core game and other expansions. We're now already over $2,000. The moment you starting adding things on like the battleboard ($100), crossover characters / new survivors (~$150 for all of them), promos / pinups (for individual cards here and there - another several hundred) - you're approaching $3,000.

I think I'm about at exactly $1,865 deep, but I bought all of my stuff on Black Friday or during the Kickstarter.

On Black Friday the game is generally $250 - $300 and the expansion set is $565.

Let me just say this right now, you don't want to buy this shit if you don't have someone good at putting together minis and, ideally, painting them. The game is worthless without that.

As for the expansions, only 2 of them are of limited value at the moment from what I can tell (I have not played them yet) (lonely tree and spidicules) but those are meant to be upgraded with AKDM in a year or so. The whole package is a very good value on Black Friday though.

Long story short, this is only a game worth getting into if you straight up have the money to burn. It's beyond pure luxury at this point.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 11:04:18 AM

Thanks. That's useful and wise. The problem is that the game itself, I mean the mechanics, the rules, the setting, also work without the beautiful physical stuff. That's why I am having a big crush on it and why I wish it existed in a different shape or some budget less expensive version. That's why, the pauper edition (eh, the Table Top Simulator one) clicked with me and my friends instantly. Now I want the physical one not because of my well known colectionist issues, but because I want to play it on a table with some of my local friends (as opposed to internet friends). So yes, this is blasphemy, but I am not interested in this for the miniatures even though I understand it's a huge part of it. I am really liking what the game offers as a whole DM-less rule-full RPG, and as Goldenmean says there's pretty much nothing else like it. Right? I mean, I wish there was so I could get that and forget about this money-chewing thing. Don't get me wrong, I really like the aesthetics here, a lot. I am just saying that I like playing the game more, and I wish it wasn't gated behind so much money. Reminds me of why I've never really played Warhammer or M:tG.

The alternative is, I suppose, make my own KDM-inspired game. But even if I could design the perfected version of it (could I?) it wouldn't be as much fun because there would be no sense of mystery.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 10:27:22 PM

I was guesstimating, and "a couple" thousand dollars is probably more exact. I doubt it's over 3,000$. It's definitely over 2,000$. Schild sort of covered the breakdown. I didn't back the first kickstarter, because Poots comes off as practically illiterate, and between that and finding the male-gaze pinups really gross, I didn't want to float him a loan, but when the thing finally delivered (albeit several years late), I bought the core game and all of the expansions at the time. There was no "Expansions of Death" bundle at that point, so I bought them piecemeal, and I bought all of them. With shipping that was about 1300$ all told. I went all in for stuff with actual gameplay content in the second kickstarter, and that was about 1250$, and then there are the stray promo boxes that have like one card each and then a stupid miniature I don't care about for 30$, and I've bought like 6 or so of those. So figure 2500$, which is almost certainly more than I've spent on any game that isn't a CCG.

The really funny thing of course is that Schild and I are basically polar opposites about caring about the aesthetics of our games. I assembled all of my monsters on my own, and I am *bad* at it. My hands shake, and I'm not very cautious, and honestly, just don't really care very much. I think the monsters are pretty neat, but I couldn't possibly care less about building out survivors, and I don't paint minis. I've used the same 4 starting survivor miniatures for every character that's come through our settlements. A game ago one of their hands fell off and I just shrugged and threw it back into the box of unused sprues that's been sitting on my bookshelf for the past several years. I could not possibly disagree more with Schild's proclamations that the game is useless if you don't get your stuff semi-professionally assembled. I do however agree that you should only get into the physical game if the cost doesn't feel onerous to you, because it's definitely not cheap. If my financial situation were different, I would have been perfectly happy just sticking to TTS or proxying it.

Here's my breakdown of the expansions you want and the rationale as to why. Most wanted at the top. I'm going to group them into tiers. I feel pretty strongly about the tier breakdown, but if you ask my opinion on a different day, my ranking within the tiers may well change

S Tier:
1) Gorm - The Gorm is a LY1 monster, which means it's huntable from the start of the game, and because it's a huntable monster, it inherently have more content than showdown type monsters, which will just pop up a few times in the course of your campaign to curb stomp you. On top of that it's a good, well balanced fight, switches up how you want to develop your settlement some, and has lots of good items associated with it across two different settlement locations (almost everything else just has 1)

2) Sunstalker - Sunstalker is a really neat huntable quarry at LY8, but more importantly, it comes with the People of the Sun campaign. Different campaigns really shake up your game, limiting tech you can get, adding special powers, unique storyline events, etc. You get lots of bang for your buck out of them, and you can always just use the monster in a normal People of the Lantern game. Possibly the favorite fight I've had in the game thus far also.

3) Dragon King - Everything I said about the Sunstalker holds true here. It's a high tier huntable quarry that comes with its own campaign. I would rank the fight a little below Sunstalker, but this actually has two fights in it. Dragons are a huntable LY8 quarry, but there's also the tyrant, which is a completely different showdown fight associated with the People of the Stars campaign. Plus the People of the Stars campaign is pretty interesting.

A Tier:

4) Dung Beetle Knight - A huntable LY8 quarry. I'm recommending a lot of LY8 quarrys here. They're good for their own merits, but also, of the base game monsters, the Phoenix is one of the most bullshit ones, so giving other options at that tier is nice. Plus the DBK is a neat fight, and has some good gear with interesting non-standard ways to get it.

5) Slender Man - A showdown monster, so you'll only fight it a small handful of times over the course of the campaign, but it replaces the most obnoxious showdown monster in the base set, is an interesting fight with strong theme, and pretty good gear selection for being a showdown monster (most of which have pretty minimal gear)

6) Manhunter - Another showdown monster, though this one pops up slightly more than others. Slenderman is more thematic. This guy is just a roided out human type, and I find those a lot less interesting than the body-horror monsters. That's just personal taste though

B Tier:

7) Flower Knight - Ugh. This freaking guy. This is a very mixed bag, and honestly one of the most WTF Poots? of the expansions (The Spidicules is the other). He's a good fight and he's huntable, so you can see him a lot more than the showdowns, but he's just ... broken. He's relatively easy (by KDM standards), and all of his gear that isn't worthless is far, far too good. You can theoretically get a bow off of this guy in LY1 that will carry you into the end game. I wouldn't recommend this until you're sufficiently used to the systems that you can decide the best buy to house rule it to work for you.

8) Lion Knight - A showdown monster, and a sort of annoying one at that. Interesting idea. Noooot soooo great on the implementation side. The one plus of this expansion is it enables the hybrid armor sets, which are pretty damn cool and can mix up your gearing if things are getting samey.

9) Lion God - This is the only LY13 monster at the moment. It's kind of got the usual endgame content problem. KD:M and other progression oriented games are all about killing monsters to get better, so you can kill bigger monsters, but eventually you come to the hardest monsters, which you'll only fight near the end of the campaign and you get... honestly practically nothing for actually killing this other than bragging rights. Get this if you want a challenge, or because you're looking forward to the next wave of expansions. The Silver City in the 2nd kickstarter is an expansion that requires this expansion and apparently fixes the problems with it, but who knows.

C Tier:

10) Green Armor - This is a micro expansion, and it's just an armor set. Honestly, I think this expansion is awesome, but I put it down here because it's worthless to you until you get practically every other expansion first because it requires a good chunk of them. It's a super overpowered set that you basically need to plan your entire campaign around getting.

11) Spidicules - Probably the most hated expansion. If you play it as written, it replaces the Screaming Antelope from the base set, which is a less obnoxious fight with less infuriating rules attached to it. It's apparently a pretty fun fight, but almost everyone will tell you it's not worth the bother. I honestly haven't gotten around to adding this yet, I'm just passing on groupthink.

12) Lonely Tree - It's ... a tree. Honestly, it's one of the coolest models, but it's not very well integrated into the campaign. You only fight it by having its terrain card randomly show up and  then you might get an item that lets you hunt it instead of another quarry, but there's not much point, because its rewards are pretty meh.

Phew. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but it's late. Also, bear in mind, all of this stuff is getting amended by Campaigns of Death. That may well fix some of the problematic expansions like Spidicules, Tree and Flower Knight. Of course, Poots being Poots, it might ruin some of the good expansions also =P

BTW, in regards to their being nothing else like KD:M, that's changing. Nothing else exists yet, but there's lots on the horizon, like the following:
Aeon's Trespass
Oathsworn: Deepwood
Sankokushin

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 06:51:52 AM

I'd say schild is more in the middle, I'm at the other end. I've assembled a handful of the models, but I cleaned and assembled them with care and have only painted the one  why so serious? I play with various painted proxies, my first hunt was mostly Zombicide minis. Schild has assembled and table-painted minis, I'd say that's a fairly standard approach (and at this price range, having it done by a service is common).

That said, as much as I love the game (a lot), the toughest part for me is setting up. When I broke my foot, I had a permanent setup in the kitchen and it was awesome. But it's too big for my kitchen table (I had two extra tables in the aforementioned setup). Curse of a small house. I've been jonesing to play and over the winter started assembling some more of the models. I'd like to actually complete a campaign successfully before the new stuff hits  this guy looks legit

As far as completionism...I was a fairly early KD collector, so I was familiar with PootsCo and its quirks (good and bad). I went in for 'resin beta', which was supposed to be an early version of the game with all resin minis. It was a steal for KD resin, so I jumped on it and it turned into kind of a saga. Only a couple dozen resin sets were actually made, but most people who pledged for it backed out, so I'm not even sure how rare my resin kit is tbh. I've never seen one come up for sale, so... Anyway, I was being cool with Poots (and Joe and Anna) through the entire process, so we were able to come to a good compromise and that's how I ended up with not just the resin core game minis and some test cards, but an entire second plastic core game. And I was all-in on game content, so all the expansions.

Since it was nice having a 'backup' copy of the game, I also got the upgrade kit for both my copies. And Poots made it super easy in the 2nd KS, I just went for an all-in pledge, though not the Satan pledge *shrug* so I missed a few things here and there. Not fussed, because I don't really collect the non-game stuff anymore because it's gotten just stupid trying to collect KD now. I won't get into tallying the bill, while I got a ridiculous deal on all the game content, I've been collecting KD since 2012, soo..... On the other hand, I saw a metal white speaker go for $230, if I weren't lazy, I could easily pay off the entire game with collectables (though most of the rare ones I like (like the Scribe), so it's unlikely).

If you dig the game, at least you have a retail option reliably available now. That's actually kind of a new thing. But KS and BF are the way to make big purchases. Since there won't likely be another KDM KS for the current game (and if so, it'll be like 2024), if you want the physical set you should wait for Black Friday and get a page monitoring app because human reflexes are not good enough to collect KD anymore, it's botted to fuck.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 09:36:31 AM

Thanks a lot, this is all very useful information.

I have a question about campaigns. How do they work? Meaning, do they replace the core "story"? Let's put it differently. Let's say I got the core game and I started playing what I think is called the Lantern campaign, and let's pretend me and my friends have played about 15 lantern years so we are pretty deep in it. Then we buy an expansion campaign, like the sun one you were mentioning. Can the new campaign be inserted somehow in the "core" campaign we have been running, or are they supposed to be played completely from scratch because they tell a completely different story? Sorry if I am stuck on "story" but to me that's part of what is cool about KDM, as vague as it can be, it scratches that From Software itch so far. So while I understand that due to the nature of the cards and all even the core campaign can be replayed multiple times and still come out very different, how many things of the original game do the new campaigns replace and how many do they not.

Also, thanks so much about those few KDM-like game names. I was hoping you could point me in that direction.

Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 10:45:13 AM

Right now there are three main campaigns:

People of the Lantern (Core)
People of Stars (Dragon King)
People of the Sun (Sunstalker)

The campaigns change the game quite a lot and give you very different experiences.  Each campaign has different quarries and encounters, but more fundamentally, they also have different timelines, story elements, innovations and settlement locations.  They also change what your settlement is trying to achieve.  They even change some gameplay elements as well, like People of the Stars adds a Constellation stat.

So a campaign is something you choose at the very beginning and play from that point forward, not something that you switch back and forth over time or slot in for certain elements (though you can house rule anything you want, of course).  Also, if you buy the Core set and a few expansions, there's no reason why you couldn't just play one of the non-Core campaigns first before ever touching People of the Lantern.  They're not meant to augment one another, but rather deliver very different experiences end-to-end.  It's not quite a different game but it's close.

There are also smaller variant campaigns that only alter some aspects of gameplay:
People of the Bloom
People of the Skull
I think there's one for Twilight Knight

There might be others, but those are the ones I know of.  There are also homebrewed campaigns out there.

All that said, you can play campaigns over and over again and get very different experiences.  KD:M is expensive, but It's also a game with a ridiculous amount of value.  A completed campaign usually takes between 40 to 60 hours depending on the group, and that's not considering the campaigns that don't go the distance.  Hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of gameplay can be pulled out of the Core box.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 11:23:34 AM

Wonderful information. Thank you very much.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 10:59:48 AM

About card sleeves, what do you use? I see very few cards (any?) comes in a traditional format. Any way to protect them?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 11:24:36 AM

I'm using the sleeves KD makes available now and again.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 04:43:55 PM

I wouldn't bother sleeving every card.  AI, hit location, innovation cards, resources...things that get shuffled a lot, sure.  Definitely sleeve those.  Fortunately, those are 2 1/4" x 3 1/2, which is pretty easy to find a fit for.  I think it's called Standard American?  Lots of companies make sleeves in that size.

Gear cards are a strange size, but I keep all of those in a binder.  That brings the total cards needing sleeves in the core box to around 700 and then you just keep the 400 or so gear cards in a binder that's easy to navigate.

If you sleeve it that way you'll mostly just need easy to find sizes of sleeves.  The only weird ones that you'd need to shuffle are the settlement events, which are weird.

Of course the card count can increase dramatically based on your expansion choices.  But gear cards still make up a huge chunk of that and I just don't ever feel the need to sleeve them.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 04:45:56 PM

counterpoint, binders are thematically feelbad and ugly and you should sleeve literally everything (i wish Poots had made a black perfect bound binder with JUST a lantern on the front, but that's neither here nor there)

A few companies make KD:M sized sleeves for the 51x51 cards. Since you're in Europe, you get access to the most well-priced one: https://www.docsmagic.de/Docsmagicde-Kingdom-Death-Monster-Premium-Card-Sleeves-Bundle-1250-Pieces-25-Packs

I think that covers the core box, then you just buy packs as needed for expansions.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 06:34:31 PM

Isn't Falconeer in Colorado now?

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 09:17:40 PM

Isn't Falconeer in Colorado now?

Negative, back in Italy for a bit.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 24, 2019, 01:57:09 AM

Sigh, yes.
Thanks for the tip on the sleeves. I would love to be able to play without sleeves, but I'd feel bad every single time anyone touches them. To preserve the positive mood of gaming night and avoid bloodshed, sleeves will be needed.

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: July 30, 2019, 11:01:21 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 06:59:54 AM

Love Poots. Saw the update before I went to bed, had to save it for this morning so I could digest it at my leisure. He always brings the goods!
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 09:13:07 AM

Or at the least, he brings the promise of goods a year down the line.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 07:05:36 AM

Gencon interview with Poots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL5BFH-tXQM
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: August 09, 2019, 07:37:29 AM

it's a mess of an interview
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 12:39:39 PM

Someone teach all these guys how to interview and also how to use actual gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZF7HQpaZWI
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Kingdom Death: Monster [NSFW]  
Jump to: