Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:51:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Sinking City 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Sinking City  (Read 1997 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: June 28, 2019, 06:30:59 AM

Put about 45 minutes into this and I find it very compelling. I was looking forward to my next chance to play more than anything in the past 2 years. Hopefully it won't deteriorate into a run-n-gun like that last Lovecraft game I played on 360. However since I had a total of 36 bullets and spent 12 of them trying to kill the first monster I found ....

https://www.thesinkingcity.com/en

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 06:59:09 AM

Jim Sterling said it was a mess of a game, and that ammo was never plentiful enough, yet his first impressions was that he still liked it. I've been kind of looking forward to it because it's Lovecraft, but I'd likely wait for a sale anyway.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 08:36:05 AM

It has been on my radar for a long time and the biggest criticisms I've read are about things that usually don't bother me (except apparently in Red Dead Redemption 2) like goofy walking, long runs between locations so I am confident I am gonna love this. Your endorsement convinces me even more.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 09:14:03 AM

I'm a bit pissy they decided to go Epic exclusive timed release. All the pubs pulling that shit need to fail. Yes, I have browsed r/fuckepic. I didn't join, because those folks are nutters.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 12:19:03 PM

Is this connected to the Sherlock games? I seem to remember a comment about the investigation parts being decent due to that, maybe?

I watched some (terrible) YT gameplay, it seemed pretty cool if a bit trial/error as far as investigation parts go...but man, those animations were baaaad. With long VO dialogue, seeing the same two hand gestures 20 times is just so immersion-breaking.

And still tentatively interested, though not at full price.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 11:40:49 AM

Yes, it's a bit crappy in the graphics execution. Street people popping into/out of existence (I'm assuming this isn't intentional since my sanity was full at the time) but I've seen much worse. The sinister atmosphere doesn't suffer much, though.

You are indeed a flatfoot of the era and there will be lots of trotting through muddy streets and suspicious-looking areas, as well as boating through flooded streets. You can unlock fast-travel, though, once you find the phone booths around town.

Generally I find the investigation game to be well done.

You can adjust the difficulty of Investigation and Combat separately. I left these at the default of Normal combat and Easy investigation. The higher Investigative difficulties will basically lead to you sifting through your casebook yourself with no indication of what you might do or (the big one) which piece of evidence will lead you to a find while searching the various archives around Oakmont. I don't know how long it would take me to find things like newspaper articles or police records if I didn't have the indicator of exactly which piece of evidence would get me what I want.

There are no "quest icons". You have to place case markers on the map yourself. This will either make you ill or cause your dick to harden.

The plot seems to be your typical noir detective story in a mythos town, at least so far. This is agreeable to me.

I think it must be connected to the Sherlock game simply because I got that for free with purchase. Haven't tried it yet.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 12:05:23 PM

Welp, Yegolev just sold me on the game.

Hope you get a commission!

awesome, for real
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 12:09:11 PM

I don't. I liken it to Warhammer games, which - if you like Warhammer - have to be pretty shitty to make them unenjoyable.  If you like the mythos, I think you'll like this.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Sinking City  
Jump to: