Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Godzilla: King of the Monsters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Godzilla: King of the Monsters  (Read 8972 times)
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

on: June 07, 2019, 04:18:51 PM

Surprised no one is talking about this movie.  If you enjoy the old Godzilla movies, this one is pretty great.  If you enjoy movies that are "good" because they are "well-written", then uhm...

Anyway, I really enjoyed it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 06:13:40 PM

Everything in between monsters bitch slapping each other sucked.

I am the .00000001428%
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 09:07:10 PM

Yeah, more or less.  I'll always have a soft spot for the trope characters, like the wacky scientists, the cocky military, the bad guy who wants to mind control the monsters, and theprotagonist Interpol agent no one else.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:47:30 AM

Just saw this.  The monster parts are great, and they were smart enough to put in a lot of them.  I made a post like a week ago in the Useless Movies thread about the first one from 2014.  This one is waaaaaaaaaay better.  Ghodira was fucking intense.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 11:30:32 PM

I really want to find a still frame capture of the world map they show when they are bringing the one guy up to speed on how many "titans" there are out there.  I think at one point they they mention the number 17, but I could swear there were at least 30 of them on that map(maybe more) and I did catch quite a few interesting names on there in the brief bit of time I got to look at it.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:38:10 AM

Hehe, I notice that too.  I just thought maybe it was “17 and increasing all the time”.  But it is a monster movie...by definition, you have to not look at things too closely.  Like how they all converged at the same time at one spot, despite having been spread out all over the planet.  Monsters have impeccable timing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 04:50:13 AM

I really want to find a still frame capture of the world map they show when they are bringing the one guy up to speed on how many "titans" there are out there.  I think at one point they they mention the number 17, but I could swear there were at least 30 of them on that map(maybe more) and I did catch quite a few interesting names on there in the brief bit of time I got to look at it.

I read the names were localized depending where you saw the movie, in the UK they got the lockness monster, etc.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 05:12:40 AM

Loch Ness.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 08:41:17 AM

I am just going to pretend nobody said that.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 11:38:56 PM

Hehe, I notice that too.  I just thought maybe it was “17 and increasing all the time”.  But it is a monster movie...by definition, you have to not look at things too closely.  Like how they all converged at the same time at one spot, despite having been spread out all over the planet.  Monsters have impeccable timing.
Well, to be fair, I think the 5 (or so) titans that congregated around the final fight scene were all ones that awoke locally in or near the Continental USA (with the exception of Rhodan, but he/she/it was the only Airborne "extra" we saw.

I mean, one of the names on the map around the mexico area was Quetzalcoatl, and I am almost positive I saw Baphomet and Tiamat on the map as well.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 05:47:27 PM

I enjoyed the film, but there was not enough kaiju time, too much humans doing nothing much slowly. Plus the Cinemark theater either didn't understand focus or had a shitty projector, so no reading monster names on the big map for me.

Shin Godzilla was better.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 02:02:20 PM

Saw this opening weekend. It was goofy, and had some gaping plot holes, but it was fun.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 07:02:11 PM

HBO Now has this, so I watched it the other night.

I think my favorite thing is the fact that the brief spot where they show Godzilla running, they animated it so he lumbered like a guy running in a rubber suit.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 06:01:27 AM

Oh yeah, I watched this while flying to Europe.

It was pretty bad.

Bleh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 08:47:46 AM

Guys, you can’t be watching something like this on HBO on a TV or god forbid on an airplane.  I saw it on a high quality theater screen and it was cool as shit.  Size matters in this case, because that is pretty much the only reason to watch it in the first place.  I will probably re-watch it soon on my home theater and see if it holds up.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 01:33:29 PM

You just like it because it’s a Godzilla movie that doesn’t have subtitles.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 03:24:57 PM

Love Letters

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 06:28:51 PM

See, Shin Godzilla was great.  More of that please!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 07:08:10 PM

Sadly there isn't going to be more of that.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 11:20:29 PM

Well obviously.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 08:30:41 PM

At least with the Japanese you got plenty of monster for your money. They might look goofy but they were on screen a lot.

Must see Shin Godzilla.

Hic sunt dracones.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 22, 2020, 10:45:55 AM

So, re-watching this at home as I said I would.  Caveats:  The screen is 150 inches, the 7.1 sound is very loud, and the viewer is more than half drunk.  Subtitles are off.

This is a goddamn excellent monster movie.  The monsters are big, they are loud, they are intense and they are on the screen a lot.  I stand by my original assessment.

WayAbvPar

Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 11:13:17 PM

I saw it in the theatre with my family and was suitably entertained.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 01:19:32 AM

What is this theater place you speak of?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 11, 2020, 01:51:15 AM

That was back in the olden times, when such things existed. 

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 02:14:11 AM

I feel like at this point there is within each of us a Road Warrior Feral Child narrator just waiting to come out to talk about the "precious juice."

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Godzilla: King of the Monsters  
Jump to: