Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Magic: The Gathering (Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering (Netflix)  (Read 2564 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

on: June 03, 2019, 11:57:11 AM

The Russo Brothers are apparently bringing a new story set in the World(s) of Magic the Gathering to Netflix.

Article

I hope they have a huge CGI budget. Yes - I get it.  I missed that it was animated.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:48:26 PM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 12:57:00 PM

This is just going to remind me how much I hate planeswalkers in Mtg.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 01:01:03 PM

You really, really shouldn't play War of the Spark.

Like, really.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:10:46 PM

You really, really shouldn't play War of the Spark.

Like, really.

QUOTED FOR OH FUCK YES THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

Jesus Christ, War of the Spark is fucking horribad.

Netflix making a movie/series of this was likely a bad idea, though if anyone can do something with it, it's the Russo Bros.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:14:23 PM

Quote from: A fucking asshole at Wizards of the Coast
War of the Spark—the most ambitious Magic: The Gathering card set ever—features 36 Planeswalker cards

Jesus shitting christ.

Fucking assholes.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 01:20:07 PM

Every pack has a Planeswalker (though most are less powerful uncommons and rares who don't have ways to add loyalty points) but it still makes every turn an excruciatingly slow time sink. It's fucking awful.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 01:27:21 PM

I'm trying to see the upside.

This is going to be confusing as %$# for anyone that doesn't know M:tG, it is going to annoy the most loyal in every little element that is not pulled straight from the cards (which have a lot of conflicting lore themselves), and the CGI is going to have to be insane to look like anything more than a cheap knock off. 

WotC would have been better off with a D&D series.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 01:29:55 PM

I hope they have a huge CGI budget.
Uh, this is animated, not live action.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 01:34:23 PM

war of the spark is just bad

magic has really just been bad for like 6-7 years

they're going through a rough patch despite being mega popular with absolute mouthbreathers

oh, on topic - this will be absolute shit
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 01:53:08 PM

I'm trying to see the upside.

This is going to be confusing as %$# for anyone that doesn't know M:tG, it is going to annoy the most loyal in every little element that is not pulled straight from the cards (which have a lot of conflicting lore themselves), and the CGI is going to have to be insane to look like anything more than a cheap knock off. 

WotC would have been better off with a D&D series.

1.  How is it confusing?  At all?  It is just fantasy with whatever flavoring they want to add depending on what set they adapt.  There have also been 30+ novels that tell a linear story just like any other tie-in fiction fantasy novel fine.  There is actually less rivet-counting in MTG than elsewhere in SFF since every year they move to a new setting with new themes and new characters and new mechanics, so there are very few legacy characters/themes for the fanbase to get mad about... especially since it is brand new and not Urza.

This is just going to be a fantasy cartoon where instead of a Chosen One they are a Planeswalker...  and it works exactly the same.

2.  It is animated.  It was in the article.

3.  There is already the CriticalRole D&D animated series going down...  CR did their $10 million kickstarter and Wizards has been very vocally supporting them.  No way Wizards is going to do a D&D series when someone else is already doing it for them, and it already includes a major chunk of top voice actor talent.  I'm sure CR will be followed by one of the other big D&D podcasts if the show works out half-way decently (Penny Arcade, etc).  Wizards can literally sit back and let other people advertise their products for them without paying a cent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 02:30:35 PM

I missed the animated.  That makes it a lot easier from the cost perspective.

As for confusing: Can you explain Ravnica in a minute in such a way that someone reading the flavor text on a set of cards would be able to place how the flavor text fits in?  Sure, if they ignore 95% of the lore and basically make it generic fantasy it will not be a problem.  If it is a true adaption of the complex settings... with the details... it is a big ask.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 02:47:20 PM

Spoiler: It will not be a true adaptation of the "complex settings."

Also, Magic does not have complex settings. It is essentially fantasy tropes with Star Wars prequel level political context.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 03:03:28 PM

I missed the animated.  That makes it a lot easier from the cost perspective.

As for confusing: Can you explain Ravnica in a minute in such a way that someone reading the flavor text on a set of cards would be able to place how the flavor text fits in?  Sure, if they ignore 95% of the lore and basically make it generic fantasy it will not be a problem.  If it is a true adaption of the complex settings... with the details... it is a big ask.

Epic fantasy set in a very large city ruled by guilds who scheme and politic against each other... and a shadowy force behind the scenes.  Wizards released a D&D setting book for Ravnica in the last six months, and largely had no problem communicating the setting pretty easily to D&D players.

The settings aren't that complex.  A couple parts fantasy sub-genre (epic fantasy, dark fantasy, steampunk, d&d,etc) plus whatever the major theme is (Japan! Greek myth! Egypt!).  They had no problems churning out schlocky MtG novels for a couple decades.  Flavor text is just little cool nuggets...  basically the equivalent of the old school drop a relevant quote by famous author/orator/poet in your prepared speech to sound cool.

Edit:

Going to drop links to the Critical Role trailers here, as long as the thread is D&D and Mtg adjacent:

Original D&DBeyond advert, kind of got the ball rolling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuL886bJA
Campaign 2 animated trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2o_bVkgPA
Kickstarter trailer, same song as Campagin 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrXx7PYI4vs

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:10:31 PM by Johny Cee »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 03:28:42 PM

Every pack has a Planeswalker (though most are less powerful uncommons and rares who don't have ways to add loyalty points) but it still makes every turn an excruciatingly slow time sink. It's fucking awful.

I've been tempted to look at arena properly but this sounds like the worst fucking thing imaginable.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 03:42:30 PM

This is going to be confusing as %$# for anyone that doesn't know M:tG

It isn't going to be confusing for the same reason avengers movies are not confusing. It is just a show about wizards.

Also it turns out the Russo brothers are 'overseeing' this.

I'm guessing this is not TV industry code for actually writing, directing,or producing it. They aren't showrunning either, Henry Gilroy and Jose Molina are doing that. Jose Molina wrote some episodes of firefly. They seem to be the only people attached to the project with a real job.

I hope they have a huge CGI budget.

It is animated.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 06:52:50 PM

I've been tempted to look at arena properly but this sounds like the worst fucking thing imaginable.

Yes, it's absolutely as bad as you can imagine. It's what finally made me just stop playing altogether.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Magic: The Gathering (Netflix)  
Jump to: