Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:16:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Black Summer (Netflix) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Summer (Netflix)  (Read 3917 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

on: April 16, 2019, 07:16:44 PM

Constant scary zombie survival action without the downtime. I love it.

Fast-running, fast-happening zombies like 28 Days/Weeks Later. It's early in the outbreak. Headshots are not understood yet. Survivor groups are new and varied.

Character development is ONLY done through normal tense action scenes. No angsty long scenes with Carl. Just threat and more threat. Down the same threat rabbit hole for a whole episode or more, or a whole warren of threat rabbit holes at once. Central characters can die.

You will see references to its makers being the Z Nation people. I didn't like that show - but I do like this! It's a drama this time, and the reviews indicate that people don't understand it. Just go for this ride. Some of the episodes are masterful (I'm at episode 5 so far).
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 06:03:24 AM

I saw the trailer and i literally thought this was meant to be part of the 28 days franchise. It's definitely on the list.

I am the .00000001428%
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 01:04:58 PM

Headshots are not understood yet.

That would break my suspension of disbelief to be honest. At this point I doubt there is a person alive who doesn't know "Silver bullets for werewolves, stakes for vampires and headshots for zombies." I'd say the last one is arguably more well known because zombie movies and tv shows are everywhere. Along with "if you get bitten, you're going to be a zombie soon."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:58:00 PM

Most zombie fiction relies on no one ever having heard of Romero style zombies before, otherwise they wouldn't get very far. The world needs to be pretty far gone before we decide shooting grandma in her bitey face is the correct course of action.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 03:12:13 PM

Yeah, ok, I get it, you're trying to do Martian Chronicles with Zombies on the cheap.

This is utter garbage.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 03:13:49 PM

Nobody has thought of zombies before in this universe and people are grasping for explanations, as happens at the start of all zombie fiction. A headshot was done in the latest episode I watched so I think the noobs are figuring it out. There may also be some cool, calm and collected military types who have just been introduced who have figured everything out. Yet to see them in action however.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 03:15:05 PM

This is utter garbage.

It's not! It's not! It's scary and good.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 10:47:29 PM

I have been thinking about diving into this one, glad to hear it may have wheels.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 11:07:09 AM

This is utter garbage.

It's not! It's not! It's scary and good.

Ahhahahah, the end of it, hahahah.  Omg.  What an ending.

Fuck this sideways.  Get your teeth into Kingdom if you want Netflix zombies and forget this utter pish.  The only thing it had going for it was it didn't flinch in making harsh character removal.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 06:16:20 PM

We could argue forever, it looks like. I just finished the series and I still think it's great. The direction is brilliant. It's a white knuckle ride and the ending answers what is really going on.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 06:47:30 PM

Considering Romero invented the modern zombies just as much as Tolkien invented hobbits, I think it is entirely reasonable to imagine a world where people have no idea what they are or their vulnerabilities. I'm sure everyone here knows that the word zombie wasn't even applied to his walking dead until I think the second movie.

That said, it may be a tired trope by now.

I've only watched the first show, and I have to say I hated it. It felt like the creators watched Fear the Walking Dead and thought "How can I make my characters even *more* unlikable and stupid?" And I've gotten to where I remove a whole star from my personal rating when the writers decide to use the "It came from out of the frame so there was no way the characters could have seen it coming!!" trope.

Okay, now that that is out of my system, I actually came here to see if it gets better after the first show. Some here liked it, so I'm going to give it another show or two to grow on me.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 11:04:46 PM

Watched 3 episodes, kinda like it.  The characters themselves mean little or nothing, not sure they are supposed to.  It seems a more realistic spin on the genre, in terms of how people talk and behave.  I mean, it is still about zombies, so you have to suspend disbelief, that much is a given. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:40:22 AM

Finished it.  Good, action filled romp and fairly intense all the way through.  L4D the tv show.  Thinking they do not need to make a second season, at least not with these same people.

And that one guy...chubby bearded guy?  Poor fucking had to do some serious running lol.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 09:47:43 PM

SEASON TWO IS GREAT

I binged it.

This show drops you into tense scenes from a zombie apocalypse, where the zombies are fast-turning and fast-moving. It occurs without backstory or exposition. You get to know characters only by living (or dying) through these events with them. Scenes are often shown out of chronological order - events shown later may inform what you saw earlier.

It is tense as fuck. It's not afraid to spin out a scene for a long time, building great tension and making you expect something terrible to happen (which may or may not). I found the second season much better than the first, which I also liked.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 05:23:39 AM

Might be you should put the answer in spoilers, but is it all new characters?  I can barely remember how the last one ended, and I would normally re-watch the first season in such a case if it mattered who the players are.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 05:50:41 AM

I could barely remember the first one too (I had forgotten it existed), but it didn't matter. You don't need to have seen the first season.

I think there are four continuing characters. It's a little hard to tell at first. But they become familiar from their season 2 stories alone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Black Summer (Netflix)  
Jump to: