Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Artisanal Bat Country 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Artisanal Bat Country  (Read 32631 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: April 10, 2019, 05:52:42 PM

Jesus. I had no idea about some of you guys...

Fun fact, my early little restaurant opened in west Georgia in the mid nineties effectively introduced avocados to the general public here as an ingredient not smashed into guacamole. Took a little learning curve to get folks used to em, but now people ask for extra as often as not.

Plus of course now they are not really considered exotic. You're welcome West Georgia.

You're a chef? or?

I'm a good cook (I think at least), but not trained as a chef.

Restaurateur, as in open and run.

I like to be in a business where I can eat the mistakes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #71 on: April 10, 2019, 08:26:38 PM

So did you drop out of vet school?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
schild
Administrator

Reply #72 on: April 10, 2019, 08:55:47 PM

Jesus. I had no idea about some of you guys...

Fun fact, my early little restaurant opened in west Georgia in the mid nineties effectively introduced avocados to the general public here as an ingredient not smashed into guacamole. Took a little learning curve to get folks used to em, but now people ask for extra as often as not.

Plus of course now they are not really considered exotic. You're welcome West Georgia.

You're a chef? or?

I'm a good cook (I think at least), but not trained as a chef.

Restaurateur, as in open and run.

tell me more

link to restaurant site?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #73 on: April 10, 2019, 10:21:53 PM

Wheat toast. Sliced avocado. Burrata cheese. Cracked black pepper. Dash of kosher salt. Light drizzle of virgin olive oil and a splash of lemon juice (optional).You're welcome.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: April 10, 2019, 11:16:14 PM

Wheat toast. Sliced avocado. Burrata cheese. Cracked black pepper. Dash of kosher salt. Light drizzle of virgin olive oil and a splash of lemon juice (optional).You're welcome.

anything -> burrata

yeah, obviously
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #75 on: April 10, 2019, 11:17:23 PM

The avocado is overkill at that point. Just make bruschetta with burrata instead.
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: April 10, 2019, 11:20:36 PM

The avocado is overkill at that point. Just make bruschetta with burrata instead.

sure

but it's still good

it doesn't even border healthy, but it is good
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: April 10, 2019, 11:51:28 PM

Brushetta usually has the vile raw tomato. Avocado is a much better accompaniment.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: April 11, 2019, 01:05:45 AM

The vile raw tomato.  I am trying to figure out if you are just talking about regular tomatos.  Because if you are, you need to unsay it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: April 11, 2019, 08:53:10 AM

I hate the taste of uncooked tomatoes. I can deal with them if  they are incorporated intp a sauce like marinara but just can't stand them otherwise.

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #80 on: April 11, 2019, 09:08:42 AM

Someone who hates tomatoes probably isn't the best person to promote how good avocado toast is.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #81 on: April 11, 2019, 09:18:54 AM

I'm not even a huge fan of uncooked tomatoes but my wife makes some bruschetta that is to die for, and I fucking love it. I can't imagine not wanting to eat the tomatoes on it.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #82 on: April 11, 2019, 09:36:21 AM

I do not like raw tomatoes, except on brushchetta.  Where it is amazing.  I actually crave the flavor of those tomatoes on bruschetta.

Anyways Ab, with or without the tomatoes, you basically just described Guacamole toast.  Which is great, because Guacamole makes everything better, but lets call a spade a spade. 

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #83 on: April 11, 2019, 09:37:42 AM

what kind of wack ass guacamole are you eating
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #84 on: April 11, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

And ya'll need better tomatoes. I spend a good chunk of harvest season gorging on caprese. So much that I was contemplating making small batch mozz (esp now that our local cheesery is out of business, used to be able to go to the back door and get a bagfull for a couple bucks).

Interesting to see lemon as the citrus, I've always done lime with avocado.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: April 11, 2019, 11:50:58 AM

So did you drop out of vet school?

No, but I did work once as a young man as "sanitation" for an industrial bakery warehouse.

Oh god the amount of damaged goods I had to "dispose" of. I still can't look at a French Twirl without shuddering.

Schild, sent you a link. We're basically a sandwich/salad/pizza joint, but we do crap like make our own bread, use fresh ingredients, and cater to specialty diets as much as we can (varied vegetarian and gluten free options), and use weird stuff like "avocados" and "sprouts" in our sandwiches. At the time we opened it was pretty much BBQ, meat and three, food trough or fast food chains around here. I am actually happy to say that now we have a bit of competition and this little town has some pretty neat other indy restaurants too.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #86 on: April 11, 2019, 12:08:17 PM

Good to know SF has been filled with Millennials for over a century.

Several years before avocado toast became A Thing, I encountered it on the bar menu at the Comstock Saloon (which specializes in old-timey Barbary Coast-era fare) as "Alligator Toast".  Now that it's gotten trendy among the youngsters they no longer serve it.   awesome, for real

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #87 on: April 11, 2019, 12:10:53 PM

Raw tomatoes are fine if you toss 'em in some salt and pepper and olive oil.

Hell, almost anything is good if you toss it in the right combo of salt and pepper and olive oil.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: April 11, 2019, 03:31:20 PM

I do not like raw tomatoes, except on brushchetta.  Where it is amazing.  I actually crave the flavor of those tomatoes on bruschetta.

Anyways Ab, with or without the tomatoes, you basically just described Guacamole toast.  Which is great, because Guacamole makes everything better, but lets call a spade a spade. 

Wut?  Guac doesn't have cheese.  It also usually has some combination of onions, cilantro, tomatoes, and jalapenos. 

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: April 11, 2019, 03:34:01 PM

Raw tomatoes are fine if you toss 'em in some salt and pepper and olive oil.

Hell, almost anything is good if you toss it in the right combo of salt and pepper and olive oil.

I can tolerate them as part of good brushetta, especially if it has balsamic on it.  I can also deal with them in a good pico de gallo if the ratio is right.  Otherwise it is legitimately the one food I just can't stand for some reason.

-H.L. Mencken
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 05:41:55 PM

Most commercially grown tomatoes here in the US taste horrible and have horrible texture. Even the locally grown and in season farmers market stuff here in California are hit and miss. So it's not that surprising many people don't like the taste of raw tomatoes. There are a few ways to "hack" your raw tomatoes, though, to make them taste better for things that use chopped tomatoes like bruschetta such as:

* Use thin-skinned cherry tomatoes (I like the Sun Gold variety) instead of the larger "beefsteak"-style tomatoes as they generally have more flavor.

* Whatever tomatoes you are using chop them up (cherry tomatoes half or quarter them depending on their size), put them in a colander, liberally salt them and stir to distribute the salt and let them drain. The salt not only seasons the tomatoes but will also draw out a lot of water from the tomatoes increasing the flavor of the flesh. If tossing that liquid away bothers you you can use it to coat your toasted bread similar to how you would rub a tomato into the bread.

* Add some sugar or better yet good balsamic vinegar to the tomatoes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #91 on: April 11, 2019, 08:03:31 PM

Balsamic, oil, and salt can make mediocre tomatoes taste a lot more tomato-y.  It's probably why folks who otherwise dislike them don't mind them on bruschetta.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: April 11, 2019, 11:56:13 PM

And ya'll need better tomatoes. I spend a good chunk of harvest season gorging on caprese. So much that I was contemplating making small batch mozz (esp now that our local cheesery is out of business, used to be able to go to the back door and get a bagfull for a couple bucks).

So good. But you need good oil too.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: April 12, 2019, 06:35:28 AM

Growing up and living in an Italian community: the best commercial tomatoes are plum tomatoes. Cherry are too much skin:flesh and to me barely taste like tomatoes. Plums have a nice amount of flesh, not much pulp. Around here you're a heretic if you're not using San Marzanos. I double down on those in the garden, and then just a random variety of stuff that does well in my soil (my tomato plants usually get massive, even with our short growing season).

I usually grow from a local greenhouse starter, but I'm thinking of going from seeds at some point (probably when I retire and have more time). The purple/green ones in the 'heirloom' bin have a really nice savory flavor and the greenhouse doesn't start any of those.

Balsamic is pretty much a scam. Here's ATK's take on the topic:

As far as olive oil, our local company just got voted best flavor, I think it was the light green fruity. Olive oil has gotten so snooty. Traditionally I've used the Spanish stuff (don't tell the Italians). For caprese or other raw applications, I use the green fruity stuff. For everything else, the Spanish non-virgin.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #94 on: April 12, 2019, 06:43:07 AM

Schild, sent you a link.

But you know I live in West Ga.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #95 on: April 12, 2019, 06:44:44 AM

Food is fuel. Avocados are great. They lack anything that could offend and provide great fuel.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: April 12, 2019, 10:18:59 AM

Half of my tomato crop is Early Girls, and most of them get turned into spaghetti sauce.  With balsamic included, since that seems to be the topic of the day  awesome, for real

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: April 12, 2019, 03:36:48 PM

Schild, sent you a link.

But you know I live in West Ga.

Oh good. Somebody I can complain with about the goddamn pollen for the last three weeks.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: April 13, 2019, 01:52:42 AM

Balsamic is pretty much a scam. Here's ATK's take on the topic.
Olive oil has gotten so snooty.

Ignoring the fact that that Test Kitchen quote pretty much says that there are horses for courses and that supermarket balsamic is fine for certain things (I'm not putting dollar+ a ml DOP imported balsamic vinegar in bruschetta), the cognitive dissonance there is adorable. Why is snoot good for vinegar and not olive oil!?
California olive ranch is a good, serviceable non-mafia-racket adulterated oil that doesn't really cost that much more that'll get you through 90% of your olive oil needs.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #99 on: April 13, 2019, 10:17:33 PM

California Olive Ranch is like the Conagra of US olive oil production with a heavily industrialized farming setup and who spent a lot of time and money decrying the "blended" Italian oil business practice of mixing oils from lots of different countries while calling the oil "Made in Italy" and is now doing the exact same thing themselves.

https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-business/north-america/crafted-in-california-makes-its-debut/66019
schild
Administrator

Reply #100 on: April 13, 2019, 10:27:20 PM

just go to a whole foods bulk section for everyday olive oil

finding good olive oil and balsamic is easy - set a price mentally, double it, buy that

Balsamic - given most of us aren't eating straight olive oil - has a lot more variance anyway. Whole Foods bulk is serviceable for this as well though.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #101 on: April 15, 2019, 12:35:18 AM

Incidentally, Lucero is closing up shop because it’s parent corporation is a paper mill company thats core business got devastated by all the wild fires in California, so they are liquidating assets to save the core business.  They are selling all their stock at 50% off.  Ordered over $200 of oil and balsamic vinegar last week to have ready when I pick up stuff during home leave to have shipped to Myanmar.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: April 15, 2019, 07:12:04 AM

the cognitive dissonance there is adorable
Why justdave, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:16 PM

This is one of the strangest threads we've ever had.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:54 AM

the cognitive dissonance there is adorable
Why justdave, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

.....actually, it is! I think I'm appreciating your artistic side.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Artisanal Bat Country  
Jump to: