Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Artisanal Bat Country 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Artisanal Bat Country  (Read 32628 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 12:55:17 PM

- Preheat oven with dutch oven (and lid) in it (~475 F, my oven is imprecise).
Instructions unclear -- stuck dutch oven upside down in oven.

Sounds like you did it right!  First item listed under "Recommended Equipment": http://shop.lodgemfg.com/dutch-ovens/5-quart-cast-iron-double-dutch-oven.asp

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 12:56:55 PM

Ah ha! Now it makes sense! I didn't follow the link, I assumed it was a normal dutch oven with knobby lid.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 12:59:25 PM

The Tartine bread book turned me on to those things and they're fucking key.  The bread cloche thing looks like a similar concept.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 05:58:13 PM

Arg, wish I had remembered to check this thread last night.  Dropbox is blocked on State Department networks.  Thanks though, looking forward to reading tonight!

Sourdough bread is one of those things from back home in California I always find myself deeply missing while abroad (along with legit burritos), as its impossible to find outside of certain parts of the US.  It was a nice treat to be in Ethiopia recently and eat my weight in Injera, but I'm told its actually quite hard to make.  Need to find some sourdough starter stuff I can pack with me to Rangoon while I'm back in SF on home leave in June.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 06:54:51 PM

You can make a sourdough starter with just water and flour. Just takes some time and feeding (of flour and water) to get it where it needs to be.

Note: scratch made sourdough waffles are amazing

- Viin
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 09:03:57 PM

Actually, I'm an idiot and remembered I can just open it on my smart phone and email to myself.   why so serious?

Good info, thanks!  So with the starter, once you've grown it up to the point to start making bread with, you just use the whole jar at the start of the day.  Then after letting it sit, at the end of the day, refill the jar from the new mixture and put away till next use?  No other feeding or anything required in between?  What size of jar do you use to hold your starter amount?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #41 on: April 04, 2019, 02:18:18 PM

Good info, thanks!  So with the starter, once you've grown it up to the point to start making bread with, you just use the whole jar at the start of the day.  Then after letting it sit, at the end of the day, refill the jar from the new mixture and put away till next use?  No other feeding or anything required in between?  What size of jar do you use to hold your starter amount?

Yup, that's it -- the "feeding" is just part of the regular baking process.  I'm annoyed when people talk about "feeding" their starter and then getting rid of the "discard," because why the fuck do you have a sourdough culture if you're just going to spend your time literally throwing it in the garbage instead of using it to bake with?

I keep the starter in a glass thing with a rubber lid that holds about a cup worth.  Don't use something with a screw-on lid or the fermentation might explode it.

If you're leaving it at room temperature, you need to be baking pretty regularly, but at fridge temperatures it goes into hibernation.  I've found that it's fine for at least a couple of months on its own like that, but once I forgot about my starter for the better part of a year and it got taken over by mold.  :(
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 02:28:07 PM by Samwise »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: April 04, 2019, 05:52:20 PM

Yeah, that always threw me off as well when reading up on this.  "Is it poison?  Will I die if I don't keep throwing half the starter away constantly?"

So you just use a cup of starter with the ratio's you mentioned in your guide.  Got it.  After I refill the starter jar, could I hypothetically use it again the next day, or does it need to sit for awhile to re-ferment?

This was a dangerous thing to see while on a diet, as by the end of the week I'm starving and food obsessed.  I've just ordered a shit ton of stuff off of Amazon to start doing this.   awesome, for real

-Stephen Colbert
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #43 on: April 04, 2019, 09:26:46 PM

So you just use a cup of starter with the ratio's you mentioned in your guide.  Got it.  After I refill the starter jar, could I hypothetically use it again the next day, or does it need to sit for awhile to re-ferment?

It's basically on pause while it's in the fridge.  That's why the first step in the recipe is to get it out of the fridge, "feed" it, and then let it sit out at room temperature all day -- that lets it wake up and grow its numbers to nom up all the tasty flour you just added to it.  By the end of the day you have a full bowl of starter (it should be all bubbly and have that nice smell of active fermentation).  You can definitely use it again the next day, or you could just divide and feed it overnight to have a larger batch of starter the next morning to do more baking with.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:33:18 PM by Samwise »

Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #44 on: April 08, 2019, 12:34:56 PM

How does one go about making chilie jam?  I'm aware of the process/ingredients for fruit jam, but I imagine this is a bit different.  Now I'm tempted to see if I can make some out of the local chilies in Laos/Burma, as I know many people who would dig that.
It's made just like any other fruit preserves, with a few key changes:

1) Approximately 25% less sugar
2) About half the normal pectin

You want less sugar because the sweetness ends up fighting with the spice, however they do pair together well.  You want less pectin because you don't want it to set up solid like a traditional jelly, it needs to be spreadable to be used as a marinade for chicken, or to spread on toast + cheese, etc.

One other trick: capsasin is soluble in alcohol, so soaking the chilis in a favorite neutral liqueur and then flash boiling it off prior to adding the sugar/vinegar works really well.  A few years ago I made a habanero + tart apple + Jack Daniels spread which was pretty awesome and paired well with sweet barbeque dishes.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 05:50:06 AM

I also seasonally make poached duck eggs on toast for breakfast. Fuck avocado toast. Eggs still warm from duck butts are godlike.
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: April 09, 2019, 08:36:43 AM

Oh, you weren't so specific in discord.

The egg goes on the avocado, ya amateur.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: April 09, 2019, 08:52:12 AM

Yeah, people making fun of avocado toast either ain't had any done right or are just yelling at the kids to get off their lawn.

Boiled egg, avocado, black pepper on honey oat is my favorite.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:26:18 PM by Mandella »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #48 on: April 09, 2019, 09:52:38 AM

I have to assume when I see people dissing avocados that they just can't get edible avocadoes where they are.  Most of the US is a produce wasteland.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #49 on: April 09, 2019, 01:43:39 PM

I just eat the avocado without the toast. Getting up in arms about something like that is weird, but we live in interesting times.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #50 on: April 09, 2019, 05:12:27 PM

I just eat the avocado without the toast. Getting up in arms about something like that is weird, but we live in interesting times.

unless you're doing a mexican thing, avocado is objectively better on toast. Get you some good za'atar, a decent olive oil a touch of salt and you're off to the races.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #51 on: April 09, 2019, 07:59:20 PM

I do not like avocados. Alligator pears are the devils testicle fruits.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: April 09, 2019, 08:18:43 PM

-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #53 on: April 09, 2019, 11:02:01 PM

I do not like avocados. Alligator pears are the devils testicle fruits.

the fuck is this
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #54 on: April 09, 2019, 11:54:35 PM

What the fuck is this, indeed. Avocados are not food. They are the single most disgusting "edible" substance ever, and I include fermented shark meat and pickled sheep brains in that scale. Nobody with any actual sense of taste could eat in the presence of those repulsive berries any more than they would eat in an outhouse.

Texture, appearance, odor, color, even the surface of these vile sacks of pre-vomit screams "inedible!" Put it on toast, and you have ruined perfectly good bread.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: April 10, 2019, 12:26:13 AM

See, posts like these should be a more bannable offense than ones supporting the alt-right or something.

-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 10, 2019, 01:33:32 AM

WTF DAVE

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #57 on: April 10, 2019, 01:50:11 AM

I have to assume when I see people dissing avocados that they just can't get edible avocadoes where they are.  Most of the US is a produce wasteland.

Change my mind.

schild
Administrator

Reply #58 on: April 10, 2019, 05:20:39 AM

Dave lived in Texas, he had access to good avocado. He did not, however, have access to good taste.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 10, 2019, 05:29:39 AM

To be fair, avocados are a bit strange, so one might not appreciate them immediately.  For me, I kinda thought they were gross the first time I tried them.  I also thought guac was kinda gross.  It looks strange, has an odd texture.  I got past that, and learned to love guacamole.  Could eat it by the spoonful.  As such, I learned to love avacados as well.  But it took a few attempts.  And it doesn't help that it can be tough to get good ones, or even adequately ripe ones (that aren't also turning bad)

Avacado on toast.....never heard of that before.  Is it exactly what it sounds like?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: April 10, 2019, 06:51:57 AM

what the fuck is happening in this thread
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: April 10, 2019, 06:58:16 AM

what the fuck is happening in this thread

Same as any other thread around here - starts off strong and on topic, then veers into strangeness showing us how the avocado unbelievers live among us, undetected.  We should shun them.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #62 on: April 10, 2019, 08:53:12 AM

Honeycrisp avocados are the best Joker since Brie Larson wrote the Black Company.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: April 10, 2019, 09:19:39 AM

Jesus. I had no idea about some of you guys...

Fun fact, my early little restaurant opened in west Georgia in the mid nineties effectively introduced avocados to the general public here as an ingredient not smashed into guacamole. Took a little learning curve to get folks used to em, but now people ask for extra as often as not.

Plus of course now they are not really considered exotic. You're welcome West Georgia.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: April 10, 2019, 10:37:42 AM

Honeycrisp avocados are the best Joker since Brie Larson wrote the Black Company.

Love Letters

schild
Administrator

Reply #65 on: April 10, 2019, 12:30:16 PM

Jesus. I had no idea about some of you guys...

Fun fact, my early little restaurant opened in west Georgia in the mid nineties effectively introduced avocados to the general public here as an ingredient not smashed into guacamole. Took a little learning curve to get folks used to em, but now people ask for extra as often as not.

Plus of course now they are not really considered exotic. You're welcome West Georgia.

You're a chef? or?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #66 on: April 10, 2019, 12:52:45 PM

Avacado on toast.....never heard of that before.  Is it exactly what it sounds like?
Yes it is, though usually for the simplest version salt and pepper are added as well.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #67 on: April 10, 2019, 01:08:36 PM

Ideally a squeeze of lemon too IMO -- adds a nice tart flavor counterpoint and helps keep the avocado from going brown.

Avocado toast recipe published in the SF Chronicle about a hundred years ago:

schild
Administrator

Reply #68 on: April 10, 2019, 04:29:28 PM

(good) Zaatar and olive oil.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: April 10, 2019, 05:50:47 PM

Good to know SF has been filled with Millennials for over a century.

-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Artisanal Bat Country  
Jump to: