Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Documentary Now! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Documentary Now!  (Read 4002 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: March 02, 2019, 04:51:24 PM

Just started watching this in its 3rd season on IFC and am now tracking back through Seasons 1 and 2 (which are on Netflix).  Its by Seth Meyers, Fred Armison, and Bill Hader (John Mulaney pops up too) and they do little 22 minute spoofs of some famous documentaries.  It's really funny on its own and if you are a fan of documentaries in general and have seen some of the stuff they are very specifically spoofing, it is a riot.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 05:25:07 PM

Juan likes rice and chicken is probably my favorite, but they are all fucking great.

I am the .00000001428%
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 06:23:01 PM

That's a parody of Jiro Dreams of Sushi right?  Haven't gotten to that one yet.

Oh man, just looked at the season 2 episode list and they do both Swimming to Cambodia and Stop Making Sense.  So pumped.  I hope they do Thin Blue Line or Fitzcaraldo or something else in the Morris/Herzog universe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 06:25:59 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 07:50:23 PM

Yeah, it's a parody of Jiro Dreams of Sushi, and it's great.

My wife has an MFA in documentary filmmaking, so needless to say this is a show we watch as soon as it's available.  Season three has started out really strong.  In fact, heir parody of Original Cast Album: Company, which is pretty obscure, aired this week and it's my favorite from all of the seasons. 

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:55:33 PM

That was the first one I watched an it instantly hooked me.  So much attention to detail while being super funny.  The two parter that started the season was pretty dang good too.

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 08:32:26 PM

It can't be hard to parody anything related to Company. That musical is parody fodder in and of itself (like almost all musicals).

I will have to check this out, though I need to watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi first as I was having a conversation about it with some British people while waiting in line at the amazing ramen place in Niseko this week.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 09:15:47 PM

My wife has an MFA in documentary filmmaking,

Holy shit that's niche

Ask her what she thought of The Falls.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 11:15:56 PM

Holy shit Bill Hader is a fucking genius. His Splading Gray is unbelievably good.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 12:12:58 AM

Oh shit, they DID do Thin Blue Line. Fucking brilliant. I am in absolute awe of these guys.

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 06:06:33 AM

I'm looking forward to "Any Given Saturday Afternoon" later this season.

I am the .00000001428%
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 12:51:56 PM

Thread was exciting, except that this isn't on my Netflix.  I fear it didn't make it over.  Goddamn it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 09:39:38 PM

Another great episode this week, this time riffing on Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present with Cate Blanchett(!) in the title role.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 09, 2022, 07:35:10 PM

This is back and the first episode of the season (a riff on My Octopus Teacher) is pretty good.

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 07:36:18 PM

As a total aside, Gods of Food on Dropout.tv is utterly incredible. It's Chef's Table. But obviously not?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Documentary Now!  
Jump to: