Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Russian Doll 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Russian Doll  (Read 6873 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: March 01, 2019, 01:27:15 AM

Netflix. You need to watch it. Don't think from the first ep or two that you know what it is doing, because you don't.   It's only eight eps of around 25 minutes each and it is really, really dense when you fully get what it is all about. Going to watch it again at least once more.

Haven't felt the need to re-watch so soon after watching it since Barry (which you should also watch, why haven't you watched Barry?).

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:32:27 AM

How much rye have you drank this evening, sir?  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 01:36:12 AM

My rye consumption is irrelevant to how excellent Russian Doll is, thank you very much.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 02:33:24 AM

It's bad and pointless.

Not as bad as Nightflyers, but it's bad.

And Pointless.

No Sir, I didn't like it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 05:46:00 AM

I really enjoyed it. I can see why someone wouldn’t though. There was a lot going on that I caught watching it all in one session.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 09:39:52 AM

You may not have liked it (personal taste and all), but it has a very definitive point.

-H.L. Mencken
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 10:32:06 AM

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I am the .00000001428%
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 11:34:13 AM

Worth watching just for the snappy dialogue and characterizations alone, but there's quite a bit more to it than that. Before watching the final episode I re-watched the first one.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 12:50:33 PM

You may not have liked it (personal taste and all), but it has a very definitive point.

Alas, not to me, unless we count trite bullshit in a sea of harsh and unlikeable people as a 'point'.  But, by all means, crack on and let me know what it meant to you.

You do have to bear in mind that I'm that guy that didn't like Seinfeld.  Sometimes the whole New York Bullshit scene just doesn't work for me.  See also, Friends.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 04:21:30 PM

It didn't necessarily "mean" anything to me, but I think it has a very specific message and point that is carried off well and in an entertaining way.  Maybe we are interpreting your use of "pointless" differently.  If you mean it didn't do anything for you, then that is part of the first part of my statement regarding people's personal tastes.  Particularly if that type of setting grates on you in general.  You have to get past the late X/early millennial hipster bullshit.
I am half way through the re-watch and while I am catching different things that are peripheral in the start that become central later, it is isn't having the same impact overall.  Who knows, maybe I was just in the right head space for the two nights I watched it through the first time.

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 12:53:48 AM

Yeah, alas, it didn't do anything for me.  
Also, I hated Sex and the City.  I think it's just me.  

Honestly, for a show with a Groundhog Conceit, I just didn't see the point.
Yeah, it's me, isn't it.  I'm just too angry for the message it was putting out.
   Heartbreak

Shit, I should spoiler this shit before Americans wake up.

Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:18 AM

The characters in Russian Doll are what they are supposed to be, they're not characters in The Good Place. What you wanted one of the characters to do is not an unintended effect. You should also spoiler the "conceit" phrase, I was lucky enough to watch it without knowing anything.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:14:22 PM

That isn't even the message I got out of it and if that is what the commentators are going with I think it is a very shallow reading of it.

EDIT: I'm not being cagey here, I think it is a much different message she was going for (its kinda right there in the name), but my full theory on it is only about 3/4th baked right now. When I am done with the full re-watch I will lay it all out so everyone can call me a dope.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:17:24 PM by Abagadro »

-H.L. Mencken
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 06:09:46 PM

I found this show different and interesting. I wouldn't watch it again, but it was worth watching once.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 12:01:39 AM

I found this show different and interesting. I wouldn't watch it again, but it was worth watching once.

I like this less and less in hindsight, but I really enjoyed it on the first viewing.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 12:24:35 AM

My thoughts on this are still forming up,  but a lot of it comes down to this being a show that has nothing whatsoever to do with interpersonal stuff or "connection" or "redemption" but instead being about trauma, the effects thereof, and the ability of therapy/analysis to dig out of it.  There are aspects of classic Fruedianism and psychodynamic theory all over this thing.  I don't even think I am reading into it or diving into subtext, it is pretty much all there.

Unless I get distracted/give into laziness, I will write a big long post on it.

-H.L. Mencken
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #16 on: March 28, 2019, 03:08:11 PM

This is good. People should watch this.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 09:06:12 AM

My thoughts on this are still forming up,  but a lot of it comes down to this being a show that has nothing whatsoever to do with interpersonal stuff or "connection" or "redemption" but instead being about trauma, the effects thereof, and the ability of therapy/analysis to dig out of it.  There are aspects of classic Fruedianism and psychodynamic theory all over this thing.  I don't even think I am reading into it or diving into subtext, it is pretty much all there.

Unless I get distracted/give into laziness, I will write a big long post on it.

For her character it most certainly is. Not so much for Alan unless I missed something. I think the Haunting of Hill House dealt with trauma and such better. I think this show was excellent and I do think Trauma and how it impacts people was a theme of the show but it wasn't the theme. It was more about how people get locked into cycles they aren't brave enough to break out of. The whole reason they were looping was because both of them just couldn't change on their own and were both very self destructive.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 01:42:21 AM

This is good. People should watch this.

Pretty much covers it.

I was espeicially surprised that it had a satisfying ending.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 01:07:09 PM

I was surprised to learn that this was pitched as having 3 seasons.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 02, 2022, 07:25:23 AM

Second season is out. And is not grabbing me. It still has moments, but it's leaning too much into character and a rather boring plot compared to the first. Not sure if I'll see it out.

Someone tell me if it gets better?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: May 02, 2022, 08:00:26 AM

Yeah, they aren't pulling off Quantum Leap/Back to the Future nearly as well as they did Groundhog Day.  The main character's nihilism worked well in the first season when part of the premise was that she was effectively immortal, but her inability to take anything seriously as she's doing stuff that might easily cause her to never be born is hindering my suspension of disbelief.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 05:39:34 PM

I ended up finishing it; it gets better at the end of episode 4, but that's more than halfway through the season.  If you're already three episodes in, maybe it's worth finishing the next episode to see if it grabs you.  If you haven't started season 2, I think season 1 stands pretty well on its own and you can just pretend it ended there.

(edit) Reading back over this thread, I'm curious to read whatever Ab was writing up.   awesome, for real  The theme of generational trauma was covered pretty heavily in season 2, and that aspect of it was good, I just thought it took too long to get where it was going.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 05:43:20 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 02, 2022, 06:34:11 PM

I liked season 2 more than season 1. I actually didn't know there was a season 2, I happened to open netflix one night and binged through both in two days.

Both seasons, as far as I'm concerned, were utter gibberish and not actually good tv but Natasha is extremely good at her job but the settings and soundtrack of season 2 were simply more interesting than season 1, except for brown bunny as a mom. Sevigny sucks and more of her was not a bonus.

As an aside, this show was pretty much exactly what I expected (in regards to Ab's post which I had not read until now). I appreciated them just fuckin going for it in season 2 but besides that, eh. 6/10 across the board.

It's bad and pointless.

Not as bad as Nightflyers, but it's bad.

And Pointless.

No Sir, I didn't like it.

This is probably correct, now that I'm reading the thread.

It certainly has a point but it meanders so much to make it as to blunt any possible impact of it. Happy Death Day did more and said more in 90 minutes than this did in like eleventeen hours.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 06:36:15 PM by schild »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #24 on: May 03, 2022, 01:06:11 AM

I don't actually remember writing that (soon afterwards I was a dad) but I still feel exactly the same about the show and it stands in the way of engaging with season 2.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 01:31:24 AM

The second season isn't as good.

I loved watching the first but suspect it wasn't because of any underlying meaning, just it was fun.

Season 2 is less fun.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Russian Doll  
Jump to: