Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: oscars 2019 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: oscars 2019  (Read 8101 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 24, 2019, 07:25:25 PM

wakanda forever boyyyyyyyy
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 06:17:30 AM

Really glad everyone's very singular black friend won. The Oscars are so progressive and in touch. Don't need fingers on the pulse if all your voters have no pulse. :rollsafe:
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 06:21:48 AM

Malek won for his Freddy Mercury as well, so yay two (three?) other minorities.  awesome, for real

In all reality, anybody still gives a sh*t about the Oscars?
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 06:39:43 AM

Old White People gonna White.

But also, fuck the Oscars.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 07:14:37 AM

I haven't cared about the Oscars since 1989. Though I do hear that Spike Lee threw a temper tantrum over the Best Picture winner. (Honestly, I had to google it, I'd never heard of the movie.)

"Everytime someone drives someone I lose."

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:12:10 AM

I thought that Spike quote was pretty funny.  Green Book is not a good movie and any other nominee winning would've been an improvement.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 09:28:13 AM

Green Book is so obviously, painfully Oscar bait that it's narrative arc is probably a paint by numbers drawing. One of those movies that old white people can watch and say "Look how far we've come we even had a black President!" It's obvious this was the Oscar committee's "See we're woken!" choice instead of something that was actually a diverse production. Of all the movies I've heard of up for Best Picture, that was the one I was least likely to ever make the effort to watch.

Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 12:41:44 PM

Well the Oscars did get a few things right.

Spiderman won for best Animated. First Man won for visual effects.

But Driving Miss Daisy won for Best Picture again and Taken 3 won for best editing so...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 01:07:30 PM

Green Book is so obviously, painfully Oscar bait that it's narrative arc is probably a paint by numbers drawing. One of those movies that old white people can watch and say "Look how far we've come we even had a black President!" It's obvious this was the Oscar committee's "See we're woken!" choice instead of something that was actually a diverse production. Of all the movies I've heard of up for Best Picture, that was the one I was least likely to ever make the effort to watch.

Some in-depth background on some of the major problems with Green Book even existing.

In August 2018, Edwin Shirley III sat in disbelief as he watched a screening of Peter Farrelly’s new movie Green Book, a simplistic racial harmony story set in the Jim Crow south. Viggo Mortenson stars as Tony “Lip” Vallelonga, a racist Italian American New Yorker. Mahershala Ali is the supporting actor who is tapped to play Dr. Donald Waldridge Shirley, a Black, queer, musical genius—and Edwin’s uncle—who died at 86 in 2013.

As is typical of a Hollywood White Savior Film, Green Book places Dr. Shirley in several dangerous circumstances with racist white men so that Vallelonga can swoop in and save the day. In the process, Vallelonga teaches the world-renowned Black pianist about Black music and how to eat fried chicken.

Though Dr. Shirley did hire Vallelonga as a driver and bodyguard during one of Dr. Shirley’s concert tours in the south, much of the rest of the movie’s plot (co-written by Vallelonga’s son Nick Vallelonga) is disputed by more family members of Dr. Shirley than just Edwin—none of whom were consulted or even contacted at any point during the writing or production of this film.

And the article continues in much deeper detail from there.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:23:02 PM

Some in-depth background on some of the major problems with Green Book even existing.

In August 2018, Edwin Shirley III sat in disbelief as he watched a screening of Peter Farrelly’s new movie Green Book, a simplistic racial harmony story set in the Jim Crow south. Viggo Mortenson stars as Tony “Lip” Vallelonga, a racist Italian American New Yorker. Mahershala Ali is the supporting actor who is tapped to play Dr. Donald Waldridge Shirley, a Black, queer, musical genius—and Edwin’s uncle—who died at 86 in 2013.

As is typical of a Hollywood White Savior Film, Green Book places Dr. Shirley in several dangerous circumstances with racist white men so that Vallelonga can swoop in and save the day. In the process, Vallelonga teaches the world-renowned Black pianist about Black music and how to eat fried chicken.

Though Dr. Shirley did hire Vallelonga as a driver and bodyguard during one of Dr. Shirley’s concert tours in the south, much of the rest of the movie’s plot (co-written by Vallelonga’s son Nick Vallelonga) is disputed by more family members of Dr. Shirley than just Edwin—none of whom were consulted or even contacted at any point during the writing or production of this film.

And the article continues in much deeper detail from there.

All you need to know is that Nick Vallelonga retweeted Donald Trump when he talked about seeing muslims cheering during 9/11. I haven't seen this movie but I'd be shocked if it was at all deserving of the implied status an Oscar win gives it. I don't particularly care for Spike Lee but the man does make good movies and if anyone is "due" it's him.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 04:00:42 PM

Eh.. other than Greenbook winning best picture I didn't see much wrong with this year's Oscars. I only watched a small bit of it, but what I did watch was a vast improvement over past versions I've seen -- largely due to the lack of a host, imo.

As for Best Picture.. Greenbook winning was a foregone conclusion; a pure Oscar-bait film through and through backed with solid directing and acting, while also being a 'feel-good' film? Yeah, it was going to win, especially since the only other movie that was (imo) giving it competition was Roma. The rest weren't good enough or were nominated more for dumb reasons (Black Panther).

Almost every other award went to the best candidate.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 04:16:07 PM

Jordan Peele's reaction was great.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 04:35:39 PM

You really cannot go wrong in the Oscar race by making a movie that fellates the sense of older white liberals in Hollywood that somehow they automagically were the people who really made the civil rights movement happen. It's like Reagan in his dotage thinking he actually FOUGHT in World War II rather than just acted in it.

Anything that punctures that bubble is unwelcome.

I would not weep if the Academy were set adrift on a raft and someone else stepped in to represent the motion picture industry in the United States of America.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:11:40 PM by Khaldun »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 05:28:34 PM

I don't find Green Book's win surprising, but it's still worth pointing out what a bad choice it was. Between that and Bohemian Rhapsody, 25% of the Best Picture nominees were actual bad movies and you would think people heavily involved in the film industry should be able to recognize that, but here we are.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 05:41:09 PM

To applause, Trevor Noah said his Xhosa phrase meant “in times like these we are stronger when we fight together than when we try to fight apart”.

It actually meant "White people don't know that I'm lying."

video
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 08:39:02 AM

Bitches, it was all about Billy Porter.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: oscars 2019  
Jump to: