Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: My Time At Portia 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Time At Portia  (Read 3574 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:26 PM

1/3 Animal Crossing
1/3 Harvest Moon
1/3 Skyrim?

This is a rare beast, ya'll.

(also it's on sale at GMG, like everything always is because I don't know why)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:40:30 PM by schild »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:03:44 AM

What does this do differently than Stardew Valley?  I don't mean that as an insult to the game, its just that everything thing I read about it basically describes Stardew Valley.  And I've gotten the urge to get back into Stardew Valley randomly, so not sure if I should just do that or take chance on this.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:10:27 AM

What does this do differently than Stardew Valley?  I don't mean that as an insult to the game, its just that everything thing I read about it basically describes Stardew Valley.  And I've gotten the urge to get back into Stardew Valley randomly, so not sure if I should just do that or take chance on this.
I guess you could also call it the next evolution of Stardew Valley.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 11:45:03 AM

Differences:
3D 3rd person world (not top-down, 8-bit)
Focus is on building items, not growing crops
Focus is on fulfilling specific orders, not grow and sell

Similarities:
You have a plot of land that you use to generate items for the near-by town.  Improve the plot to generate more stuff/income.  Repeat.
You CAN grow crops as a side activity
There's a town full of folks that you can grind rep with.
Has dungeons that you explore for items/materials.

If you liked Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley, you'll probably like this.  The combat is click-spam (no special moves or attacks, just left-click-to-attack and right-click-to-dodge).  The voice acting is nine shades of awful, but you can turn it off in options.  The translated-from-Chinese dialog has a few Engrish moments, but overall it's pretty good.  Mechanically solid, very few bugs or crashes; NPCs graphically glitching on mounts is about all I've noticed this version.

It had a demo on steam when it was in early access.  Not sure it still does.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:06:38 PM

The voice acting is one of the best parts of the game.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 08:38:28 PM

Thanks Father Mike!  That's a good break down.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 06:53:09 PM

Welp, downloaded this.  Entire day blown.   awesome, for real

Yeah, as said, its basically 3D Stardew but with the game revolving around crafting things rather than farming.  Which is great for me as I'm way more into crafting in games anyways. 

Having a lot of fun with it so far!

-Stephen Colbert
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 10:30:46 PM

I haven't played this in awhile, but I bought it fairly early on in the Early-Access phase, and found it worth the money even then, despite its flaws (and occasional gameplay decisions I disagreed with). It isn't a "great" game, but it does what it does well and is an excellent time-waster of a game. Probably better nowadays that it has far more content, as well, and more polishing (there used to be some decently-sized bugs, but nothing too show-stopping that wasn't quickly hot-fixed).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 07:17:30 AM

I bought it early on and gorged on it for a while. I got my money's worth.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 01:51:15 PM

I recently started reading David Allen's Get Things Done but I guess I can just throw that in the trash now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 09:13:18 AM

This game is so addictive, I'm not surprised it was made by a Chinese developer. I'm a bit surprised though that it doesn't have microtransactions (at least in the west).

While Stardew Valley was about optimizing certain daily routines, this game just has a shitton of different things you can/need/want to be doing with usually no time limits, so you will find yourself playing "just one more day". It's pretty amazing how much content they managed to cram in. I'm already regretting I started playing this, I predict a couple hundred hours gone, at least.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: My Time At Portia  
Jump to: