Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: MIB International 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIB International  (Read 5215 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

on: December 22, 2018, 10:22:19 AM

https://youtu.be/qvXzEhXujxA

Thor, Valkyrie, Nannie McPhee and LIAM NEESONS.

I'm down. Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson play well off of each other and their comedic timing is solid.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 11:27:38 AM

The trailer was fine. It's just one of those movies where I'm not sure it's NECESSARY. It also felt like Tessa Thompson's character is maybe meant to be Will Smith's daughter or something but they never make it clear why she wants to be an MIB.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:42:08 AM

I hope David Cross shows up and has a line complaining about how lobsters in Cambodia cost way more than a dollar.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:03:59 AM

The trailer was fine. It's just one of those movies where I'm not sure it's NECESSARY.

This. This is the same trap the Ghostbusters remake fell for. There is nothing special about the "Men in Black" movies other than Will Smith, Rip Thorn, Tommy Lee Jones and Vincent D'Onofrio.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:19:37 AM

Shit, if we only made movies that were necessary, nothing would get made.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 10:30:26 AM

I'm not seeing the problem with that.

Hic sunt dracones.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:01:19 PM

I'm sure the chemistry between Hemsworth and Thompson will be entertaining enough that it will more than make up for it not feeling necessary.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 03:51:01 AM

The trailer was fine. It's just one of those movies where I'm not sure it's NECESSARY.

This. This is the same trap the Ghostbusters remake fell for. There is nothing special about the "Men in Black" movies other than Will Smith, Rip Thorn, Tommy Lee Jones and Vincent D'Onofrio.

I'm getting totally different vibes from this than the Ghostbusters remake. Obviously, it could still turn out to be horrible but I remember the first Ghostbuster's trailer and I was like "Kate McKinnon's character looks kind of funny" and that was as close to interested as I could get. This looks like it could be quite entertaining and I've never felt like MiB was as tied to the actors as Ghostbusters was.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 05:40:42 AM

Yeah, I didn't feel it was that tied to the actors per se, but it also feels a bit like a one-note premise. I'm not sure how much there is to reboot or sequelify.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 08:22:24 AM

The problem with Men in Black is that people think its a straight up comedy. And that approach has been doubled down upon again and again enough that even 15 years later what made in the original men in black a instant classic is drowned out by the "iTs A cOmEdy" executives and screenwriters. At least with the ghostbusters reboot they had the excuse that at least they didn't understand what made the original 2 ghostbusters movies good.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 10:49:39 AM

Chris Hemsworth is gold as a leading man right now.  He gets my money until he starts jumping on Oprah's couch.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 11:16:31 AM

The MIBs were basically a buddy movie in which a cartoon universe was hung off. It also worked in that the "universe" was basically unknown so you could pull whatever you want out to confront the actors, and that's the part that is separate from The Fresh Prince and Tommy Lee bouncing off one another.

If the actors pull off chemistry then this could work.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 11:37:58 AM

Hemsworth is no Dwayne Johnson.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 09:38:46 PM

I disagree.  Hemsworth's one of the few other actors on The Rock's level, and their styles are different enough that there's easily room for both of them.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 11:09:13 AM

This will be a fun movie.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: MIB International  
Jump to: