Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Atlas 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Atlas  (Read 6398 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

on: December 19, 2018, 11:46:54 AM

The peoe who made Ark are coming out TODAY with this new game which seeks to be Sea of Thieves done real right. It is NOT Ark at sea. Ark was a stupid Pokemon simulator for a maximum of 80 people at once and that was inferior to Rust in every possible way.

Atlas has been conceived to be like EVE (authors often mention it as their inspiration and goal) and of course all the other builder/survival UO inspired sandboxes.

This interview has a lot on it: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/12/19/atlas-pirate-mmo-developer-interview/
"When I say every aspect I mean things like fort building, creature taming and transportation, exotic resource transportation, trade, merchant ships, trade routes, territory claiming, taxation, crew hiring, mutinies… and you know, the full gamut of fantasy crap too. Ghost ships and demons and stuff. Treasure maps. Spheres of influence, player vs player conflicts on a large scale."

Things worth noting:

- mega servers with up to 40.000 players.
- 30+ hours to cross a map from one side to the other side
- private servers
- safe starting PvE zones
- build your bases and build your boats
- mutinies!

Early access starts in 3 hours on Steam for $30.

https://www.playatlas.com

Edit by Trippy: holy jesus christ fucking Google AMP URLs
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:59:28 PM by Trippy »

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:17:19 PM

Private servers?

PRIVATE SERVERS.

Someone convince Chimpy to stop sucking.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:19:10 PM

Private servers, sir. I wrote that down just for you.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 02:24:31 PM

I've heard of this. It sounds like Horizons, Star Citizen level make believe game designing. Also paying for early access in such a game is too retarded for words

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 02:28:17 PM

Yeah but this time it will be better. Trust me.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:28:35 PM

Believe it when I see lots and lots of reliable people confirming that it's real and it really works and it really sounds like what they're flogging.

Up to that point, I don't believe it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 02:29:18 PM

Well.

Horizons never became a full game and Star citizen literally doesn't exist.

So that's a pretty stupid set of comparisons since it's all just reworked shit that's already in Ark.

Game might suck, but we don't have to bend over backwards to come up with reasons. We can just play it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 02:43:40 PM

I believe there is NO WY this game is gonna deliver half of its promises for at least a couple more years. With that said, I like to check things out as they unfold when the design document checks a lot of my boxes. And still, if it sucks too bad I'll refund it within three hours. So easy.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 03:22:24 PM

Either going to be great or shit. As usual.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 03:33:14 PM

Delayed two days. New release is the 21st.

Here's a new extended gameplay trailer though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miwYMiEUYiA

Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 08:13:34 PM

I wasn't ready for the shift from Sid Meier Pirates to Sinbad pirates. 

Also, if Elder Scrolls 1-5 taught me anything, it's that swordfighting in a first-person game always sucks.

A+ for ambition, tho.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 10:19:35 PM

Interesting.  I'd normally be pretty skeptical also, but after how good Conan: Exiles turned out, I actually have some hope for a game like this.  Helps they also have produced a successful game that laid the groundwork for this already.

Also, on the private servers, this is pretty bad ass:
"Appealing to their community's whims is especially notable because Studio Wildcard will also be releasing all of the dev tools for Atlas so that players can make their own servers—an extremely uncommon thing for an MMO. Using either a provided dev kit or the Unreal Engine, players can resculpt the landscape, create their own mods, and host their own Atlas servers at no extra charge beyond the cost of server hosting."

So if the game is actually playable and gets popular, look some amazing mods down the road.  People will create some insane custom servers.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 07:16:51 AM

I'm skeptical for 2 reasons:

1) boasts about putting 40,000 people on one server. WUT? Not only do I not think that's possible, I'm not even sure it's a good idea.
2) These are the same devs that had Ark in Early Access and released a paid expansion for it while the game was still in Early Access. Given the perpetual state of fuckupery that most MMOs exist in, this seems like a terrible choice.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 07:42:54 AM

Well I am sure we all know it's not really 40.000 on ONE server. It is like EVE. It is multiple servers that connected make the map of the game looks like it's one server. I mean, it's not 40000 people on one machine or one single instance. With that said, I am super skeptical too. But interested.

These devs are ambitious and cannot deliver half of what they promise, but what they delivered in the past was still double what a lot of other devs could ever achieve.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 08:18:51 AM

Yeah, I think from what I was reading earlier today, there will be two official servers that can do the 40,000k, and those consist of 60-70 servers bogged together to do so.

A private server will be significantly smaller than the (hypothetical) 40k server.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 04:18:37 AM

Wildcard (Grapeshot is just an attempt to rid themselves of the bad rep they have gained with Ark) have a history of delays, dropped features and continuing to treat a game like a beta even once it's been 'released' so set your expectation suitably low and you might eventually be pleased

Personally I'll pick this up at the early access price and play it in a year or so

Reading between the lines the private server thing seems to be 'if someone wants to code this using the dev kit' - I didn't get the impression they were doing it themselves at lunch

Disclaimer - I love Ark but Ark's success is in spite of the Dev team, not because of it!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 06:50:16 AM by 5150 »
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 05:03:45 AM

I'm skeptical for 2 reasons:

1) boasts about putting 40,000 people on one server. WUT? Not only do I not think that's possible, I'm not even sure it's a good idea.
2) These are the same devs that had Ark in Early Access and released a paid expansion for it while the game was still in Early Access. Given the perpetual state of fuckupery that most MMOs exist in, this seems like a terrible choice.

To be fair, Conan exiles has has three DLC packs while it's still in early access.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 07:05:02 AM

Conan Exiles isn't considered in Early Access anymore - it dropped that designation before it released any of the DLC. And it has 5 DLC now. 

Of course, it sure could still be considered in beta.  why so serious?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 02:13:59 PM

Delayed again. Not tonight, will come out supposedly tomorrow night.

The strange part is that selected streamers will receive an advance key starting tomorrow morning 5am UK time, while everyone else will have to wait tomorrow night.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 05:34:37 AM

It's finally live and streaming

https://www.twitch.tv/forsen

My favourite part so far is that fir the first time in a MMO you play on an entire planet. Yes, the map of the world is an actual globe and the entirety of it is explorable. Granted, 98% of it is water with a thousand islands scattered on it, but still.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 05:07:26 PM

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 05:17:11 PM

And it doesn't work anyway. Servers are unreachable. Except for the head start of the youtubers this morning, no one has been able to play for the past 4 hours, meanigng since it was released. Usual old school MMORPG launch.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 05:21:17 PM

Some people are playing. But if you get disconnected it's very hard to get back in.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 06:58:57 PM

I don't know why people are surprised it was built on Ark. Not building it on Ark would've been goddamn stupid. Even with assets sticking around.

To wit: https://www.reddit.com/r/playatlas/comments/a8qbp6/_/?utm_source=reddit-android
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:01:22 PM by schild »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 03:50:01 AM

Finally managed to play. Rubber banding everywhere. High latency. A pain to gather anything, let alone fight.
Not sure I want to put up with this right now. I am gonna get a refund but I am more than willing to give it another chance in a few months.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 05:16:18 AM

Dude, I mean, its the launch of an indie MMO.  Regardless of who was doing it, I wouldn’t even bother taking a crack at it till at least a month after launch.  These things always launch like its an MMO in 1999.

Also certainly need to wait and see if its even worth playing at this point, heh.

-Stephen Colbert
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 08:07:32 AM

You are right, but it overall feels like I am not gonna have fun with it right now. Even without the technical ssues, it all feels so Ark clunky (a game I always considered like the stupid PvE version of Rust) that even if it ran perfectly I'd probably be annoyed anyway. I am still looking forward to what it could become, but right now I feel that using the Steam refund program is the best course of action. It allows me to quickly demo a game and scratch the curiosity itch, and then walk back from it when it's too early access in too many ways.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 11:46:36 AM

It's got an hilarious 19% positive reviews (Overwhelmingly Negative) on Steam right now.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Atlas  
Jump to: