Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Controller 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Steam Controller  (Read 11945 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

on: November 22, 2018, 12:25:11 AM

Well, the age of being 'allowed' to be in a separate room than the family to play seems to be coming to an end and as I just can't into console gaming and having my laptop attached to the TV with a m+kb setup on the couch isn't comfy, I'm seriously thinking about giving the steam controller a whirl. I mostly play strategy games like Stellaris and Total War but also some World of Warships. Anyway, any experiences? Does it 'work'?

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:00:26 PM

Here's what I wrote when I got mine a couple years ago:
The Steam controller's niche is to be a mediocre-but-passable substitute for KB+M in couch gaming situations where the real thing isn't viable. It can also be a mediocre-but-passable substitute for a real gamepad, but that's irrelevant since you can already use a Dual Shock anywhere you can use a Steam controller. So [a strategy game] is actually basically the only reason for it to exist.
I wasn't thrilled with the controller but it basically works and your use case sounds optimal for it. If you've got the cash I'd say give it a shot.

Sky will have some strong opinions about all this, of course.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 12:17:35 PM

Well, the age of being 'allowed' to be in a separate room than the family to play seems to be coming to an end and as I just can't into console gaming and having my laptop attached to the TV with a m+kb setup on the couch isn't comfy, I'm seriously thinking about giving the steam controller a whirl. I mostly play strategy games like Stellaris and Total War but also some World of Warships. Anyway, any experiences? Does it 'work'?

https://www.steigerdynamics.com/productcart/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=375

use that for 3 months and you'll be allowed to go back to where your computer is and behave like a normal human with an attachment issue
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 02:18:47 PM

I have a Roccat Sova.

It's the best thing. I game from the couch. I work from the couch.

I have the membrane version and it's perfect for me, but there's a mechanical keyboard version if that's your thing. Look into it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 04:03:37 PM

Sky will have some strong opinions about all this, of course.
Nah. I've had a workable pc setup on my sofa for over 15 years now but apparently it only works for me. Every other option looks horrible.

Carry on.

I'm considering moving to a pair of recliners in the living room and ditching the sofa. Not sure my setup works with that, oh noes.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 12:30:13 AM

I have a Roccat Sova.

It's the best thing. I game from the couch. I work from the couch.

I have the membrane version and it's perfect for me, but there's a mechanical keyboard version if that's your thing. Look into it.

How did I not find this earlier?! That looks a lot more...reasonable than what schild 'suggested'. Thanks!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:13:38 AM

You aren't people.  You're potatoes. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 08:39:58 AM

Trust that a lapboard is not the same as what I linked.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 03:20:16 PM

You aren't people.  You're potatoes.  

Today so far: 1-hour bicycle ride before working at a standing-desk in a bright office. I earn my potato time.

World Cup season was bad though.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 05:44:19 PM

i ate 1.5 caneles, 2 meringues, had pizza and pasta for dinner, and ate thanksgiving leftovers for lunch idgaf tis the season

edit: though i also confirmed a time-period to receive my Peloton Tread so, it all balances out in the end or something
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 10:50:57 PM

I did not know that Roccat Sova thing was a thing.  Interesting.  I have been looking for a solution for playing certain games in VR in a seated position, while still having keyboard and other devices in a convenient position.  Elite: Dangerous being the prime example....I need to have the keyboard easily accessible while having my simple logitech joystick in its proper position (so that it lines up with where it appears while in VR).  The Roccat might be an option.  And Schild's ridiculous Couchmaster is actually an interesting option as well for this problem, and just couch gaming in general.  I only balk at the cost.  And wish I could find somewhere to try one.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 25, 2018, 11:05:29 PM

I found the steam controller fine. I've never rated any controller above 'fine' though and the games you list I wouldn't bother to attempt with any controller.

I'd be sceptical about anything that sits on your lap like the Roccat. Sounds like a quick route to back, neck, and wrist pain if used for the length of time something like TW, Stellaris, or Elite takes to play.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 25, 2018, 11:54:42 PM

Well for my use case, that Couchmaster abomination might be the better alternative for me.  The option right now for E:D is a joystick sitting on my thigh, and a keyboard sitting on the couch on my left side.  The built in hub is also useful.

The bigger problem is where to put the monstrosity when not in use.  And whether I want to drop 150 bucks on something I could attempt to fashion with a wooden plank cleverly fastened to some firm pillows  awesome, for real

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 09:23:49 AM

wooden plank cleverly fastened to some firm pillows  awesome, for real

tried this

not the same at all
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 12:21:04 AM

Well, I don't really want or need a permanent platform, because most of my couch gaming is done with a playstation controller in hand, not kb/m.  I literally only have one use-case for it, which is Elite:Dangerous with an HMD...both for a bit of stability, and also to get stuff positioned in more or less the right place in the real world.  Just doesn't seem worth the cost for that purpose alone.

Of course, if I did get a couchmaster, it probably would have me doing more traditional kb/m stuff with it, so there is that.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 04:51:12 AM

I went with the Steam Controller instead of the Sova. Mostly came down to the Sova setup costing thrice as much as the SC and because I wanted to have something rather handy.
I gotta say I'm more than pleasantly  surprised. I never had a knack for controller and the last time I used one was 4 years ago when I first tried to get into couch gaming with a PS3 which I sold again after a month because I was hooked on the DotA back then.
This thing just works. The configurations that are available are great starting points. World of Warships works extremely well, Total War took some customization of the controls and more pausing than usual in battles but otherwise works well to scratch that itch as well. And as a "controller game" I started Warframe. I suck at aiming (needed 2 tries to get MR1) and I completely lose any orientation (and the camera controls) when I panic, but I got semi (maybe more like quarter) competent within the first 3 hours played.

Bonus: Missus actually enjoys casually watching me play on the big screen.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 10:19:29 AM

My roommates have the Steam controller and I can't stress enough how underwhelmed I was with the clicking. That's right, just the clicking of the rubbery soft surface. It doesn't feel right at all, and it was enough for me to think that the production value was low.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 12:53:31 AM

My roommates have the Steam controller and I can't stress enough how underwhelmed I was with the clicking. That's right, just the clicking of the rubbery soft surface. It doesn't feel right at all, and it was enough for me to think that the production value was low.

Yeah, that bothered me a bit as well. Would like to have that a bit smoother. Still, it works. Lets see for how long.

WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: December 16, 2018, 11:13:11 PM

Bought it a couple of years ago. Tried to configure it for a couple of games. Decided it was a steaming pile of shit. Bought an off brand Xbox controller and use that instead when I need it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 10:05:23 AM

It's on sale.  Right now.  As I type this.  25 buckaroos.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Steam Controller  
Jump to: