Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:38:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 131380 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 16, 2019, 01:41:49 PM

The 2nd episode was fucking hilarious. I was constantly giggling, all in a good way. I cannot believe the same producers that brought us Last Jedi managed to bring us something that's this good.
That’s because it’s not the same team — this is Jon Favreau’s baby. He is the creator and showrunner. Yes Kathleen Kennedy is an Executive Producer (as is Favreau) but she’s an Executive Producer on anything Lucasfilm movie related.

That's kind of my point though. Kennedy apparently looked at shit like Last Jedi and thought "Yeah, that's fine, let's continue a billion dollar franchise with this" so her judgement is clearly questionable as hell. So I'm not sure how something that's this level of quality got through her moron filter.

What's questionable about this? TLJ made 1.3 billion.

I am the .00000001428%
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 16, 2019, 03:05:46 PM

Can we just stop talking about The Last Jedi? Because I still think it's a good example of what the franchise needs. Let's just stick with what everyone seems to agree on: this is good.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 16, 2019, 06:32:05 PM

At least keep the TLJ complaining in it's own thread (or the Ep. 9 thread, if necessary).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #73 on: November 16, 2019, 08:23:41 PM

This is awesome, and if there is any justice in the world it will get at least 221 episodes.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #74 on: November 16, 2019, 08:46:06 PM

Yes this truly rocks.

Very Lone Wolf and Cub feel.

Please let it continue and not suck,
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #75 on: November 18, 2019, 07:36:04 AM

I'm floored how good it has been so far. Really hope they can keep it up.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #76 on: November 18, 2019, 07:41:53 PM

Just caught up and this show is amazing.  The only way you could improve it is if Disney hired Ennio Morricone to score it and resurrected Kenii Misumi to direct.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 19, 2019, 06:03:26 AM

Just watched it last night, really solid. What a difference when they still have the budget for quality production but are just trying to make some solid, steady long term story compared to a flagship movie where you have all these executive committees interfering because they are under tremendous pressure to jam all kinds of wizzbang crap together so it will appeal to a massive enough audience of adults, children & foreigners so it will generate gate of 1$ billion +. The slower pacing makes it less of a theme park ride, lets you sit back and enjoy the aesthetic like that cool forge scene which probably would have been cut down to 10 seconds in a movie.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 19, 2019, 07:51:34 AM

Yeah, the great thing about it in part is that for once you're not sitting there watching an SF-themed show on a premium channel and thinking, "So here come three scenes of pointless talking so that they didn't have to spend money on decent effects or complicated location shoots".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #79 on: November 19, 2019, 08:23:03 AM

Yeah, the great thing about it in part is that for once you're not sitting there watching an SF-themed show on a premium channel and thinking, "So here come three scenes of pointless talking during sex while everyone in the scene is nude so that they didn't have to spend money on decent effects or complicated location shoots".

Fixed that for you, HBO Style.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 19, 2019, 12:11:40 PM

Putting aside the nostalgia: Is this the best hour or so of Star Wars we've ever had?

Yes it was.  Someone finally got it right.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #81 on: November 20, 2019, 06:45:56 AM

Enjoyed by all three of us. My tastes are suspect, of course, especially when we are talking about Star Wars. However I was very impressed with the level of investment done here, after being completely unimpressed with the Star Wars area of WDW. Clearly they consider this the Disney+ flagship and intend to use it to keep subs.

Honestly if all episodes were released at once, you'd see VERY CANCEL after the first month. This will keep people on until at least January, after which maybe they can come up with something else.

I did also watch the first episode of the 1997 Silver Surfer show and am convinced this will be the plot for the next mainline Marvel movie.

The only way you could improve it is if Disney hired Ennio Morricone to score it...

Interesting you say this because I feel like the music is the weakest part.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #82 on: November 20, 2019, 07:43:55 PM

Honestly if all episodes were released at once, you'd see VERY CANCEL after the first month. This will keep people on until at least January, after which maybe they can come up with something else.
Yeah you can tell Disney is very worried about cancelers cause the episodes are so short.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #83 on: November 20, 2019, 07:59:57 PM

Yeah you can tell Disney is very worried about cancelers cause the episodes are so short.

Didn't 7 million of you sign up for 3 years?

--Dabe

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #84 on: November 20, 2019, 08:33:35 PM

Dunno. The only subscriber number I've seen is the total of 10 million as of Nov 13.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: November 21, 2019, 05:40:11 AM

They're not releasing anymore numbers until their next earnings report.
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 21, 2019, 08:52:06 AM

Didn't 7 million of you sign up for 3 years?

--Dabe

I have no reason to cancel. I am free through Verizon for a year.

I've also enjoyed the Mandalorian. The scene at the top of the sand crawler had me laughing for 5 minutes straight.

I also like that he is a bad ass, but that he is human and isn't perfect and takes a beating. His armor gets torn up and he loses weapons. He doesn't always seem to be super prepared for fights, but he has no compunctions about killing or violence when necessary.

My only nitpick in the last episode and I admit it is very small, but neither he nor the child ate anything for at least two days.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: November 21, 2019, 10:06:36 AM

I found the first episode of Imagineering was awesome.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 21, 2019, 10:27:02 AM

I've also enjoyed the Mandalorian. The scene at the top of the sand crawler had me laughing for 5 minutes straight.

I also like that he is a bad ass, but that he is human and isn't perfect and takes a beating. His armor gets torn up and he loses weapons. He doesn't always seem to be super prepared for fights, but he has no compunctions about killing or violence when necessary.

My only nitpick in the last episode and I admit it is very small, but neither he nor the child ate anything for at least two days.

I agree with all of this. Too much of the fandom wants Mandalorians to be super warriors who swat Jedis aside with one hand while gunning down rival bounty hunters with the other. It's good to see a more grounded take on a Mandalorian.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 21, 2019, 10:27:56 AM

Child definitely had a large meal earlier before he passed out  awesome, for real

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: November 21, 2019, 10:57:00 AM

There's a frog that disagrees with this.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 21, 2019, 11:04:30 AM

Definitely 100% approve of the decision to make him a vulnerable improviser rather than a one-note ultra-badass. I'm sure pretty soon there are going to be basement-dwelling incel fans who complain that he isn't badass enough etc.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 21, 2019, 11:06:30 AM

Totally forgot about that, it was awesome.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
DevilsAdvocate25
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 21, 2019, 11:37:02 AM

Totally forgot about that, it was awesome.

oh damn, me too. He pretty much shows no concern as to whether the child eats or not and then, chomp, swallow, the kid takes care of himself. Good catch!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #94 on: November 21, 2019, 01:52:16 PM

He pretty much shows no concern as to whether the child eats or not
In his defense probably doesn't know anything about the child's physiology and what sort of food intake it requires to survive. As for the actual incident he was concerned about what the child was eating but by then it was too late.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 21, 2019, 07:11:07 PM

I don't think he was concerned like "I am your guardian, young one" but more like, "Um, well. Do I need to lock the little mofo up when I'm sleeping?"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 22, 2019, 05:14:24 AM

3rd episode:

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #97 on: November 22, 2019, 08:31:38 AM

Just caught ep 3.  I'm loving this.  It's not deep, but it's fun and it feels star-wars-y in an original trilogy way.

I really like that it's set post-original-trilogy and not following characters we've seen before.  Nice to see some new people and places.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 22, 2019, 08:34:31 AM

This show just keeps getting better and better.  As for the plot, I have no idea what he does now.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: November 22, 2019, 09:23:35 AM

This is how much I am loving this show, I woke up in the middle of the night to order a Mandalorian action figure from a Japanese import site. Then I watched the third episode as soon as I got home from work... in which he gets a completely different look. That's what i get for nerding too hard.

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 22, 2019, 05:05:09 PM

I'm intrigued about what the Mandalorian might mean for Star Wars in the future.  In a way, they sort of put a hold on everything they've been planning for the films recently after Episode 9.  I'm wondering if this series could do for Star Wars what Favreau did for the use of Marvel Comics characters...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #101 on: November 22, 2019, 05:44:15 PM

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #102 on: November 22, 2019, 08:17:46 PM

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: November 22, 2019, 09:00:30 PM

Kennedy's future is probably directly linked to Episode 9. If it causes a bunch of fan backlash she may be shown the door even if the movie makes a lot of money.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #104 on: November 22, 2019, 09:58:31 PM

This show proves that the Star Wars universe is big enough to incorporate stories that are not focused on original trilogy characters or their offspring. You just have to, you know, have an actual plan rather than just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Mandalorian  
Jump to: