Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs  (Read 3283 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

on: October 01, 2018, 08:50:54 PM

New Coen Brothers movie with some familiar cast members.  I REALLY want to see this.

Youtube trailer.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:25:57 PM

Yes. /serious
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 12:50:32 AM

Cannot watch any more trailers, I suppose, and will have to resist the urge to rewatch that one. That's what a trailer out to be: Give you the feel of the film without actually making anything remotely clear.

Occasionally the Coens forget and make whole movies that way. I'll definitely be in the theater to see whether this one's in that wheelhouse or another.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 06:51:04 AM

Select theaters and Netflix? well that certainly simplifies things.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 08:44:15 AM

Yep, totally down for Netflixing this one.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 11:42:19 PM

I'm first day on this.  Love Tim Blake Nelson and don't get to see him often enough.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 10:46:54 AM

So, am I the only person who took the plunge on this so far?

It's..... an odd duck.  I'm going to say I liked it overall, but with some heavy reservation.

But basically, as with most anthology movies, it was really uneven (though the lows were just boring, not bad, and the highs were hilarious).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 12:14:11 PM

I agree, I greatly enjoyed some and didn't terribly mind the others.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 09:42:27 PM

I watched this tonight and loved it. The weakest story was the one with Liam Neeson and it was still good. It's very much a dark comedy Western done by the Coen Brothers, which might as well be a genre of its own. If you don't like Coen Bros. movies, you will not like this one.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 02:13:20 PM

It was odd but I enjoyed it. This movie does not pull punches not a lot of happy endings.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 02:33:59 PM

It is a dark movie er collection of tragedy short stories, in form of short vignettes with some big star actors like James Franco, Liam Neeson. Like extreme makeover of Greek tragedy plays done in quintessential Coen brothers style.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs  
Jump to: