Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:50:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Maniac 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maniac  (Read 4433 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

on: September 26, 2018, 09:21:38 AM

Decided to fire this up rather than be responsible last night (isn't that what Netflix is for?).

Really weird. A little awkwardly so, but I think it's actually weird enough to work so far. I'm not a binge watcher, most shows get one episode a night from me...and I watched the second episode immediately and didn't distract myself with any devices while watching (that's how I get through most of the Marvel stuff).

So I guess I like it so far?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 09:30:29 AM by schild »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:42:24 PM

I put this on my list to watch.  I'm not a binge watcher either so that's a good reccommendation for me.  I also like weird.  :)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:10:37 PM

I watched the first one and half the second episode. I will tiptoe forward.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 11:22:27 PM

Watched the first 2 and I'm getting an early Michel Gondry feel from it, which isn't a bad thing, I like his movies.
Seems like a slow burner though, and I think I'm missing a lot of little references and hidden messages.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 04:18:10 AM

I'm like 4?ish episodes in. I have no idea what I'm watching, but I want to find out. It'll probably be stupid.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 06:29:17 AM

I'm like 4?ish episodes in. I have no idea what I'm watching, but I want to find out. It'll probably be stupid.

The OA with less performance art?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 09:04:17 AM

The 3rd episode feels like a completely different thing. I think there's a ton of subtlety and referencing they're trying to put in that's lost on first time viewers.

I feel it could be great but I'm skeptical it will come together.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 12:46:23 PM

If the third episode feels like a completely different thing, the fourth episode will feel like an entirely different series, set on Mars in the year 1870 or something.

It's weird though, and I like weird.

I'm enjoying the trip, but also skeptical. It does feel a bit like a less arthouse version of the OA, as described above. Hopefully it resolves better than that clustercluck of a series.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 11:03:07 PM

I've finished this and thought it was really good.  Really picks up once Sally Field shows up in the flesh.

Definitely stylized and darkly comedic, but overall very much enjoyed it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 12:03:18 PM

Could we get at least a broad strokes description? I'm not sure what the OA is and that's the only comparison I've seen.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 02:03:34 PM

Could we get at least a broad strokes description? I'm not sure what the OA is and that's the only comparison I've seen.

it's like a social commentary slice of life thinkpiece in the Brazil universe

mostly though, it's boring
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 02:15:00 PM

Brazil the Gilliam film?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 07:05:07 PM

Dark comedy about people in a drug trial that involves going into computer simulations as a form of therapy.  Has aspects of Brazil, Blade Runner, 2001, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, some Coen-esque stuff, but with jaded humor and some absurdism (plus some shockingly graphic violence).  Big mash up that you need to either go with or not watch.

Whole season directed by the guy who directed True Detective season 1.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 07:37:36 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 05:30:27 AM

It's weird and I stopped after the episode where they were married and went after the furs.

I'd like to continue out of curiosity sake. But my wife isn't in to it, and our TV time together is limited because of our 9 month old doesn't like to sleep a lot still right now.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 07:32:45 AM

Arise!

Binge watched this and really liked it. Just when you start to hate parts of it it always seems to realise it's getting stale and switches soemthing up.

The over the top gore in bits never worked for me but hey.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 09:34:01 AM

I binged this over the last few days. It's... odd.

I mean, yes, it's weird but it never seems to get as weird as it SHOULD get. The visuals are never psychedelic enough to be truly surreal. The tech and the world building is never really explained or explored enough, though it would be an interesting exploration (especially the Ad Buddy and Friend Proxy businesses). And yet you have things like the gore and the scene-chewing bits by Justin Theroux that are just wildly incongruous to other bits. It feels like it just didn't know how crazy it wanted to get yet let some of the absurdist funny bits come through anyway.

Emma Stone was great in this, but Jonah Hill really doesn't have the range for what they were trying to do. He was decent in the Owen role, and really good in the gangster son and mullet-wearing husband roles in the dream episodes, but his performance in the seance episode was just bad. It did not suit him at all. Then the whole Ernie/Snorri thing was kind of annoying.

Overall, I liked it, I just wished they'd have pushed the envelope more.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Maniac  
Jump to: