Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Newegg.com payment breach 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newegg.com payment breach  (Read 2562 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: September 19, 2018, 06:57:09 AM

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 07:37:25 AM

Damn, now I need to check when my last purchase was. Looks like August 5th, so I am “safe”.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:07:27 AM

I don't why I am surprised anymore. Security takes effort and money, two things people really don't like to part with. But still... Facepalm

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:22:09 AM

With only skimming info about the incident (so not knowing how lazy they were) I will just say that security IS an arms race.  You can be paying for good security and shit can still get through.  Organized crime across the globe is dumping millions of dollars into cyber theft efforts and development, let alone what some of the more shady nation states are up to.  Things keep getting more complex, which keeps creating new avenues for attack.  Especially with all that I've seen now working in this job, I'm honestly amazed private companies have done as well as they have.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 09:25:58 AM

Having seen first hand the amount of sheer, unadulterated incompetence at work in private companies of all sizes, I'm surprised most of them aren't just smoking craters.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Newegg.com payment breach  
Jump to: