Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:26:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Here Comes Florence 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here Comes Florence  (Read 29935 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:28 PM

This should be interesting. Anybody in the Carolinas? This is looking pretty bad.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:29:26 PM

This should be interesting. Anybody in the Carolinas? This is looking pretty bad.

My friend from college is inland a bit in Darlington (1 hour west of Myrtle). She's a bit concerned with flooding in her garage, but that's about it.

My boss has property on Hatteras. *shrug*

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:44 PM

One of my friends lives in a county that will soon not exist (she's in kill devil hills)

my neighbors son is in charlotte

anyway, blue wave, amirite
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 07:26:16 PM

Good luck you lot who live around there.  Be careful.  Don't die.  PLEASE!   Heart

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 11:12:22 PM

CNN said there was a mandatory evacuation order, so hopefully all the fake news shitheads ignore it and drown.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 11:20:31 PM

anyway, blue wave, amirite

For the record....lol.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 09:22:41 AM

I've got a buddy just north of the evacuation line (at the moment), who reports to me that due to the emergency all liquor sales in the counties south of him have been suspended, so sounds like they are taking it seriously!!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 09:32:32 AM

My mother-in-law got her mandatory evacuation notice this weekend, I think it was.  She's in Carolina Shores, which is a blip on the map about 5 miles inland between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington.  Her house is on high enough ground that flooding won't get to it, but the streets will be flooded and access cut off.  She rode out a cat 1 once and refuses to even entertain staying (because she has a brain) and will be temporarily relocating to the Greensboro area where her sister lives.

Besides watching Florence trying to wipe the Carolinas off the map, the most amusing thing will be the updates about my MiL staying with her sister, because their mother currently lives with the sister and MiL and sister have (mildly) clashed over taking care of mom.  MiL has visited to give sister some caregiver relief, but she's always had the out of being able to leave and go back home.  Being forced to stay until everything is over... can't wait for the updates when the husband talks to her.  swamp poop

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 11:17:11 AM

Great excuse to work on some non-impacting projects.

This one could be very bad.  Slow-moving means it will stay over water longer, meaning it will retain retard-strength for longer.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 11:23:30 AM

My brother is in Norfolk and is hunkering down, they are expecting 20 inches of rain which should be fun since Norfolk is built on a swamp. My aunt and uncle used to have a place in Kill Devil Hills but they sold it and recently sold their last piece of property there.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:56 PM

My mother-in-law got her mandatory evacuation notice this weekend, I think it was.  She's in Carolina Shores, which is a blip on the map about 5 miles inland between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington.  Her house is on high enough ground that flooding won't get to it, but the streets will be flooded and access cut off.  She rode out a cat 1 once and refuses to even entertain staying (because she has a brain) and will be temporarily relocating to the Greensboro area where her sister lives.

Besides watching Florence trying to wipe the Carolinas off the map, the most amusing thing will be the updates about my MiL staying with her sister, because their mother currently lives with the sister and MiL and sister have (mildly) clashed over taking care of mom.  MiL has visited to give sister some caregiver relief, but she's always had the out of being able to leave and go back home.  Being forced to stay until everything is over... can't wait for the updates when the husband talks to her.  swamp poop

Unless she is on top of a 35 foot hill, there is no guarantee on “should be safe” as they are predicting over 20’ storm tide.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 01:32:20 PM

Unless she is on top of a 35 foot hill, there is no guarantee on “should be safe” as they are predicting over 20’ storm tide.

No, she's not on a hill like that, but her house is on higher ground compared to everything else around her.  Plus, she's five miles inland.  And she's not sticking around to see how things go.

Frankly, I'd be more worried about the trees coming down from the winds than any water damage.  All those pine trees look like overgrown toothpicks just waiting for something to knock them over.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 07:17:36 PM

From the activations I'm seeing in the FEMA system this is going to be a bad one.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:43 PM

They seem pretty convinced it's a super bad storm. Mostly because of the stall in the rain, I think.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 08:00:32 PM

Disturbing piece on NPR about large numbers of unprotected waste pools on hog farms.  Toxic effluent for miles.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 11, 2018, 08:17:56 PM

From the activations I'm seeing in the FEMA system this is going to be a bad one.
Yeah, I think they're saying it's gonna combine a huge storm surge, high winds, and the heavy and sustained rainfall of Allison or Harvey. Probably not as bad as each of them individually, but they're getting all three at once.

So...I wouldn't stay within at least 30 miles from the major coastline. I mean best case, you're not gonna have power for a week or two.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 11:18:15 PM

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that Trump thinks he did a fine job in Puerto Rico and 3k people died. So. Get the fuck out while you can or die.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 06:26:43 AM

Yes, everyone please base their decision on whether to obey evac orders from Trump. swamp poop

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 06:30:16 AM

On a positive note, we are getting some great test cases for a new consumer tropical product.

On a less positive note, please get out of the storm track.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 06:32:03 AM

In other news on the exact opposite side of the world, a super Typhoon is heading straight for Hong Kong.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 06:41:10 AM

Obviously I know about that, but it's not something US citizens are worried about.  As for Mangkhut (and TS Olivia), it does appear on the front page if you scroll down.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 07:02:54 AM

Sorta related - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rare-event-atlantic-pacific-churn-storms-same-time-n907826

I guess I never realized that if the Atlantic is active with hurricanes, then the Pacific is quiet(er) for them.  The US never hears as much about the Pacific storms unless it's like Hurricane Lane, which was heading towards Hawaii or if it's a really historic storm of some sort.

Post I found that article link at had this image in it, which is what caught my eye.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 12:13:31 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 12:58:12 PM

boy NC is getting further fucked by the goddamn minute
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 01:05:07 PM

Maybe we should change the topic heading to Here Comes Florence and Mangkhut, because Mangkhut looks like a really bad storm on a really bad track.
WayAbvPar

Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 01:27:32 PM

boy NC is getting further fucked by the goddamn minute

That ship sailed a couple of hundred years ago.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 01:41:34 PM

awesome, for real

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 01:52:29 PM

Maybe we should change the topic heading to Here Comes Florence and Mangkhut, because Mangkhut looks like a really bad storm on a really bad track.

"Rock you like a hurricane - the F13 mix"

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 01:56:10 PM

Heeeeerrreeee's FLORANCE!

Hic sunt dracones.
WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 02:08:13 PM

That is a big fucker for sure.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 05:09:17 PM

Huh didnt realise that gif was bieng updated over time when I posted it. Thats actually pretty cool.

Anyway, the storm track isnt getting any better.

Hic sunt dracones.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 05:46:35 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 06:32:44 PM

So the winds have apparently died down considerably and they expect it to possibly be down to Cat 2 by landfall. But the amount of rain and storm surge predicted has increased because the storm's size has grown.

Still only about 3/4 the size of Katrina.

Chinese hoax, folks. Chinese hoax.

Someone page Arthur Parker for proof!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 08:01:57 PM

"considerably" to a place not fortified for 100mph let alone 125mph winds is like

ya know

it's still horrifying
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 08:13:07 PM

Look at that fucking thing - I didn't know hurricanes liked to take Sunday strolls along the beach.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Here Comes Florence  
Jump to: