Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:24:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering  (Read 72653 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #140 on: April 16, 2020, 11:09:11 PM

Opinions on the Kemet 2.0 KS next month? I never got around to playing the original, wondering if this one looks worth it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: April 17, 2020, 01:26:12 AM

Probably.

Kemet is the most popular of the series and is good.

The changes described so far look sensible - though I'm not the biggest fan of the new board art.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: May 01, 2020, 09:47:01 AM

Few hours left and frosthaven is on 9.7M.

So that is a thing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
schild
Administrator

Reply #143 on: May 01, 2020, 10:10:14 AM

Looks like it'll pass KDM or already did too lazy to look it up. That's a lot of people not playing frosthaven.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 01, 2020, 10:27:40 AM

80,000 backers.

Right now I'm tempted to give him a dollar so I have until November to decide whether to buy and then barely play frosthaven.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:34:49 AM by eldaec »

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: May 04, 2020, 02:01:22 AM

It finished a shade under 13 million, which is indeed the biggest boardgame kickstarter ever.

I'm happy for the guy. This being the biggest ever feels good. Even if I won't ever play it properly.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: May 04, 2020, 01:13:04 PM

Why would people not play these games if you like the design?  You may not finish it, but even if you play just 4 or 5 sessions.... well worth the cost.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: May 19, 2020, 02:03:22 AM

In case you ever played a super sleek and elegant roll and write about nice trains and simple roads. But thought, wow I hope this game gets 20 expansions, and more complex rules, and an epic game mode on a gigantic board in a kickstarter....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/horribleguild/railroad-ink-challenge/description

I'm backing regardless of how absurd this is because I would really like a copy of plain old railroad ink blue and can't find one anywhere.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: May 19, 2020, 11:59:56 AM

This year has been hard on the pocketbook for KS games.  A lot of good, and expensive, ones.

schild
Administrator

Reply #149 on: May 19, 2020, 12:00:52 PM

This year has been hard on the pocketbook for KS games.  A lot of good, and expensive, ones.

i'm the opposite, this year ain't done shit for me. Bought way more locally than I have on KS.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #150 on: May 19, 2020, 03:06:08 PM

Yeah, not much on Kickstarter has excited me this year and what has isn't necessarily board games.

I backed Ptolus, because it was the best campaign setting I've ever used and wanted a 5th edition version
Frosthaven
A little expansion for High Frontier
Scale75's contrast paints that they call "Instant Colors."  Pretty sure this is the only way I can work through my backlog of miniatures that need painting

Three of those were a little pricey, but nothing like years past.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
schild
Administrator

Reply #151 on: May 19, 2020, 05:45:47 PM

on the flipside, Blood Rage digital is out soon as well as Root theoretically

and uh, Wingspan I guess
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 11, 2020, 05:22:51 PM

Slimes Capture the Flag features a bunch of round, adorable slimes in various costumes.  I’m tempted to buy a few and paint them up like Polandballs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #153 on: June 11, 2020, 06:02:40 PM

Looks like a physical version of Gumballs & Dungeons.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 12, 2020, 04:01:37 AM

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/postcurious/the-emerald-flame

Emerald flame. Sort of amped up escape room. Looks like a ridiculously overproduced 'Exit' game.

Exit games are massive hit in this household so an easy one to back.

schild
Administrator

Reply #155 on: June 12, 2020, 04:37:11 PM

Shame you missed out on the Wilson Wolfe affair (or did you not?).

https://simulacragames.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/176329
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: June 13, 2020, 04:21:33 AM

Looks like they have a few of the fancy versions left. It is tempting....

schild
Administrator

Reply #157 on: June 13, 2020, 08:49:31 AM

It's one of the most ambitious designs I've ever seen and apparently the care in the product is incredible. That said, I didn't buy it. It felt like something we'd get halfway through and proceed to never finish.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: June 15, 2020, 07:13:30 PM

Emerald flame. Sort of amped up escape room. Looks like a ridiculously overproduced 'Exit' game.

I'm going to go in on this. Looks like their have priors. I like the concept but have found previous exit games crap.

Can you recommend any good ones?
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: June 16, 2020, 03:54:01 AM

That looks interesting, thanks for the link. Has anyone checked out her other work? I'm also wondering if the game will be available commercially after KS, but I guess they won't say at this point.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: June 16, 2020, 06:15:44 PM

That looks interesting, thanks for the link. Has anyone checked out her other work? I'm also wondering if the game will be available commercially after KS, but I guess they won't say at this point.

There are some views and reviews on their previous game on bgg. https://bgg.cc/boardgame/254125/tale-ord
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: June 17, 2020, 12:21:22 AM

I'm going to go in on this. Looks like their have priors. I like the concept but have found previous exit games crap.

Can you recommend any good ones?

Tbh, if you didn't like the Exit series I doubt any of the mass produced boxes would suit you. Personally I think Exit are head and shoulders above Unlock, which the other widely available series. The Death on the Orient Express and the Catacombs one are probably the two we enjoyed most, also hearing good things about Theft on the Mississippi. Generally speaking the later boxes are better than the earlier boxes, and be aware that the 'difficulty level 2' boxes are fairly simple.

If you like your puzzles less abstract, Sherlock Holmes Consulting detective is pretty good. Chronicles of Crime is also supposed to e good though I haven't played it.

I don't think any of them really work with more than 2 people. Tbh I wouldn't recommend any of them for any number other than 2.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: June 17, 2020, 08:11:10 PM

I only played one Exit game, but I found it quite boring because the narrative was poor, and the puzzles were repetitive. Not a lot of variety between mechanical, code, word, etc. I might have just got a bad one.

I owned Consulting Detective too
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: June 18, 2020, 02:00:24 AM

Exit doesn't really do word puzzles or codes - it's German translation so I don't know how easy it would be to internationalise, and there is definitely no meaningful narrative in most boxes - the death on the orient express one has a bit more than the others.

You might want to try an Unlock box. They make a bit more effort on narrative certainly.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 02:02:12 AM by eldaec »

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 06, 2020, 04:26:18 AM

I bought Escape Tales for the SO and me to play. I'll share what it's like once we've had a chance to go through it. She just bought us Exit: Catacombs of Horror so hopefully we get to go through that soon too.

Did anyone see this for "Quest"? I generally try to avoid KS but I'm a sucker for Werewolf type games: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/quest-avalon-deluxe
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: September 07, 2020, 10:24:05 AM

Updates on Escape Tales: Awakening and Exit: Catacombs of Horror.

Exit: Catacombs of Horror - I think this is the longest Exit game available, as it's designed as a 2-parter. We found the puzzles hit and miss, and the hint system isn't great, especially with longer, more complex puzzles. Lots of pixel peeping necessary. By the time we reached the final puzzle we wanted it to be over with. There's a clear theme in the game, but no real narrative.

Escape Tales: The Awakening - Probably the escape game we've enjoyed the most so far. The puzzles are OK, but there's a robust hint system to help. It is narrative based, though the puzzles aren't always tied to the narrative. The story is passable, it's enjoyable in the context of the game.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #166 on: October 28, 2020, 09:12:49 AM

I have a small stash of solo-able (generally co-op) games that I enjoy, so seeing Darkest Dungeon kind of got me excited...except it's Mythic Games.
schild
Administrator

Reply #167 on: October 28, 2020, 09:13:57 AM

Yeah it's gonna be bad. On the other hand I've heard good things about Frostpunk.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: October 29, 2020, 07:29:44 AM

I just dropped $200 out of my budget for fun stuff to cover what I expect to be coming in the next few weeks: A slew of demands from the KS I backed for more money to cover shipping. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #169 on: January 11, 2021, 08:32:11 AM

1860/Wight is hitting kickstarter on January 26th from AAG. It will go into production immediately after the KS ends. Afaik this is the *only* good 2p 18xx and one of the best 3 player ones. The KS box includes the expansion.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #170 on: January 11, 2021, 11:27:29 AM

I had the all in triggered for Darkest Dungeon, and then came to my senses and realized it was just going to be another shitty dungeon crawl designed to showcase miniatures.  I have a backlog of those that would take me probably 3 solid months of gaming every night to get through.  I ended up giving them a dollar. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #171 on: January 13, 2021, 08:30:19 PM

got the second wave of tainted grail stuff in

jesus
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #172 on: January 14, 2021, 05:36:52 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm done with "all in" style pledges for stuff.  I never play expansions, too many games, too little time.  And now, too little storage space. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #173 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:46 AM

I'm just pledging for less overall rather than less individually. This package is just absurd.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #174 on: January 20, 2021, 08:13:45 PM

I just got the link to the Pledge Manager for Darkest Dungeon.  Please help me not do something stupid....... why so serious?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering  
Jump to: