Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering  (Read 72678 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 08:20:27 PM

I only have like three ameritrash games on my entire shelf now, it's just a dead genre to me for the most part
schild
Administrator

Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 11:51:01 PM

I wish I had gotten in on Omen earlier. The newest edition looks pretty awesome but I have so many games I just don't play, it seems silly to spend money on something else that won't get played.

I just went to do a late pledge on Terrors of London simply because I like dead builders and this one is oozing theme. It looks like a solid 7 of 10 based on the rules. Anyway, I don't give a shit about that, not trying to convince you. More importantly, they had Omen on the late pledge thing, so I looked it up. Lo and behold,

https://app.crowdox.com/projects/kolossalgames/the-omen-saga

Exact same price as the Kickstarter. $90 to get everything under the sun for Omen is a steal.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #37 on: October 18, 2018, 08:07:49 AM

Damn, Terrors of London looks good. I might have to buy it, I ultimately gravitate towards deckbuilding. Thanks for the mention on that.

Narrator: He did buy it. :) Early birthday present.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:29:56 AM by Hawkbit »
schild
Administrator

Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 11:45:29 AM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 07:37:17 AM

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
schild
Administrator

Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 07:51:31 AM

i had to remake it because apparently there's no politics talk on bgg and half the posts said vote for beto or andrew gillum and then some trumpy moron chode came in with some nonsense about beto pandering to spanish people and i let the little shit have it

anyway

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/247362/games-butts-sequel
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:40 AM

You can take schild out of f13, but you can't take the f13 out of schild, apparently.

schild
Administrator

Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 08:10:52 AM

i would've preferred to write it here but we don't have a geeklist function so
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #43 on: October 26, 2018, 07:42:00 AM

Yeah, was afraid of that when you started making the political jokes.  I don’t even blame bgg.  We keep all political talk locked away in the politics forum, and it has still bled over into the rest of the forum multiple times resulting in drama and bans.  And then Trump got elected.

Politics equals death seems the only sound strategy these days for moderating non-politically focused web pages.

Do you remember what the game was that guy mentioned as a more balanced version of A Few Acres of Snow?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:06:17 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #44 on: October 26, 2018, 08:23:36 AM

Yeah, was afraid of that when you started making the political jokes.  I don’t even blame bgg.  We keep all political talk locked away in the politics forum, and it has still bled over into the rest of the forum multiple times resulting in drama and bans.  And then Trump got elected.

Politics equals death seems the only sound strategy these days for moderating non-politically focused web pages.

Do you remember what the game was that guy mentioned as a more balanced version of A Few Acres of Snow?
Hands in the Sea
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #45 on: October 30, 2018, 08:31:35 PM

I backed that.  Shit show of a campaign.  Game seems fine.  But major fucked campaign with missing and wrongly printed cards, usually delays by half a year.  Cards sent later.  But yeah, needs a reprint with a real publisher.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 26, 2018, 03:20:36 PM

Doesn't seem important enough for a new thread, but semi relevant here.

http://www.tabletopwire.com/cmon-reports-losses-stock-continues-slide/

It seems making shit kickstarters with dice and miniatures isn't as profitable as it looks.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #47 on: November 26, 2018, 04:25:05 PM

Yea, they make bad things.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #48 on: December 28, 2018, 12:11:37 PM

Sooo...Who else backed "Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon" ? (campaign ended a few hours ago). I caved in and went for the "Kings" pledge. What are your expectations? (if there is some interest we might follow the post-campaign news via a dedicated topic)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #49 on: December 28, 2018, 01:49:40 PM

I decided not to. They'll probably deliver, but I don't like when people promise the moon and aren't Poots.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: December 28, 2018, 03:27:48 PM

Sooo...Who else backed "Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon" ? (campaign ended a few hours ago). I caved in and went for the "Kings" pledge. What are your expectations? (if there is some interest we might follow the post-campaign news via a dedicated topic)

I backed it. Awaken Realms is a damn good company IMO and my copy of Nemesis is arriving any day now. (I mean that seriously, shipping notices are going out as we speak.) I also watched some preview playthroughs and it looks quite fun. My only true concern is replayability since it is so narrative heavy.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 06:16:27 PM

I did. I've backed all of the big Awaken Realms projects thus far, and have been happy with all of them (though the pocket skirmish CCG thing they keep throwing in all of their shipments as a freebie doesn't seem terribly interesting) Should be a solid game. They've proven that they can do decent narrative with the This War of Mine board game, so I expect a mash up of that and 7th Continent, except this seems to have a more compelling game at its core than 7th Continent did. Also, a more focused one. And Dark Souls Arthurian/Gaelic theming is an order of magnitude more interesting than the Age of Exploration vibe 7C has.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 01, 2019, 05:31:39 PM

I waffled, but decided not to back it.  Just not n the budget... and IIRC, the exclusives were not that exciting.  It was one figure or something.... I'd rather wait on this one and buy it on sale somewhere down the road considering I still have a wall of games that I need to get to the table for the first time, and many walls of games I want to get back on the table. 

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 05:31:37 PM

Suburbia collectors edition...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tedalspach/suburbia-collectors-edition

Every other city building game always makes me think 'OK, but I could be playing suburbia'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 07:06:30 PM

Suburbia is amazing.  Even still, I wouldn't normally bother upgrading from a board game I already have to the collector's edition, but I don't have any of the expansions and this includes all of them plus a new one so... I'm in.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 15, 2019, 07:12:14 PM

Interesting.  If you guys vouch its a good game, guess I'll back that.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 15, 2019, 11:27:43 PM

Suburbia is amazing.  Even still, I wouldn't normally bother upgrading from a board game I already have to the collector's edition, but I don't have any of the expansions and this includes all of them plus a new one so... I'm in.

Of the 4 expansions, the first is great; the second is bad except that it comes with green player pieces and green is the best colour; the third is actually just a promo with a handful of overpowered tiles that the game is better without; and the 4th is new - I know nothing about it.

But I'm probably getting this anyway.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:03:47 AM by eldaec »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #57 on: February 12, 2019, 08:01:13 PM

I think that I have generally decided that I am going to try and limit my kickstarter stuff to limited editions of games that are popular (because they can be sold, if I'm not enthused about them, for generally a fair price) or for reprints of older games.  That's a little risky as they always seem to redo some rules in the reprints, but I'm excited to get my copy of Endeavor.  I picked up kickstarter level copies of Lisboa and Vinhos because I like Lacerda's stuff and I missed those.  Honestly, though, the kickstarter thing is getting a little thick to wade through.  I think the games are better produced, generally, but the quality of the actual game mechanics may not be all that great on a lot of these.  Haven't seen one in a while I needed to back that is new.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #58 on: February 13, 2019, 03:56:36 AM

So many kickstarters seem to perpetually forget that Chinese New Year exists. The amount of mails I get that tell me things got delayed because of the lunar New Year's celebrations is entirely too high.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #59 on: February 13, 2019, 04:39:53 AM

I don't think anyone is in danger of mistaking these people for being fortune 500 corporate geniuses.  Quite a few of them are running (intentionally or not) very well designed ponzi schemes.  Any excuse will do.
schild
Administrator

Reply #60 on: February 13, 2019, 05:00:00 AM

I don't think any of these are Ponzi schemes. Hell, many of them probably result in a net loss.

It's just people that want to make a thing but don't really have any business making things.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 13, 2019, 06:40:24 AM

Yeah, after diving deep into Kickstarter for the last few years, almost none of the fuck ups are intentional.  It’s just literally a platform that lets any passionate super nerd have the opportunity to make the nerd thing of his dreams.  And it turns out nerds know nothing about buisness, finance, or manufacturing logistics.  Hell, was just following one game recently that funded well past its goal, but with two days to go canceled.  They admited that people had pointed out a ton of things they were doing wrong, and found out they had fucked up other things when reaching out to printers, so canned it before taking any money.

Or as Martin Luther Abraham Lincoln Confucius once said: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

-Stephen Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #62 on: February 18, 2019, 08:24:14 AM

I don't think any of these are Ponzi schemes

Not intentionally, but they are ponzi schemes.  They are using future kickstarters to complete/pay off their first kickstarted projects, which leads to their ultimate demise or serious financial problems, e.g. Sodapop/Ninja Division. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 16, 2019, 03:39:15 PM

I just went to do a late pledge on Terrors of London simply because I like dead builders and this one is oozing theme.....

May update for Terrors of London seems to be on track for home delivery in June.
schild
Administrator

Reply #64 on: May 16, 2019, 06:19:21 PM

just in time for them to ask for another $10 to cover tariffs
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 16, 2019, 08:44:56 PM

I think the rule is anything that has left port when the tariffs come into effect isn't hit by them.  Only if they haven't shipped yet.  Looks like they plan on getting the game to the boat next week, so should be good.

Also, if these even happen at all, looks like July at earliest now.

-Stephen Colbert
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 03:57:37 AM

It appears Terrors of London is now shipping; a BGG post shows someone received their copy. So start watching your doorsteps.
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: June 20, 2019, 04:49:29 AM

Dude lived in Australia. Boat might not even be in America yet.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #68 on: June 20, 2019, 06:17:55 AM

One small card game already decided to ship with manufacturing flaws rather than run into tariffs (they're saying they are facing 25% tariff if they delay).
schild
Administrator

Reply #69 on: June 20, 2019, 06:48:56 AM

A ton of hubbub has been made about the 25% tariffs but i'm just not seeing it. Especially for majority card-based games. It's a 25% hike on manufacturing costs. Most of these games cost actual dollars to produce. It shouldn't effect Kickstarter pricing, but could snowball a little bit on the retail side.

Sounds to me like that small card game is being headed by lazy, greedfolk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Board Games  |  Topic: Board Games - The Kickstartering  
Jump to: