Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Witcher 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Witcher  (Read 57218 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: December 22, 2021, 07:58:57 AM

I'm halfway through the second season and they are definitely diverging from the books a bit.  I fear the ego of the writers might screw this up a bit.  They have made up big parts of Yen's story and it's just not working well.  I fear they are falling into the trope where the lead female character is super powerful and her only problem is that she doubts herself. I am liking Gerralt and Ciri's  story line though.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: December 22, 2021, 03:00:16 PM

Yennefer is insanely powerful in the books. That's part of the character's burden to bear. It comes up again and again (and materializes in Witcher 3 to boot). If you've read Blood of Elves, once Triss grasps Ciri's situation, she says "well, there's not much I can do, but Yennefer? maybe"
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: December 22, 2021, 05:37:31 PM

They seem to be grabbing the bits of the video games they like and flipping the bird to the books to do their own thing.

--Dave

Might as well. I've never been a purist for adaptations. What's the point? You'll never do it faithfully enough to please the fans, and if you did it'd probably make shit TV.

The book fans are going absolute apeshit over it (I've only read a few) and everyone else seems to be "a little unsteady but it's good enough TV" which is...good enough.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #213 on: December 22, 2021, 06:09:55 PM

I mean, Ciri in the training grounds was 90% videogame. I could practically see the QTE prompts.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: December 23, 2021, 01:36:54 AM

I'm halfway through the second season and they are definitely diverging from the books a bit.  I fear the ego of the writers might screw this up a bit.  

I'm getting strong Game of Thrones vibes. An excellent retelling of the books that is going steadily to shit, with a few good moments thrown in. The storytelling really was weak this season, compared to last season. I like the characters enough, but Yennifer and Dandelion (yeah, I prefer the book name) just felt added in to mark time, Tris really didn't serve much in terms of plot, leaving it to Geralt/Ciri to carry the interesting parts. It just feels like they are making it up as they go on this time.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: December 23, 2021, 03:37:37 AM

Yennefer is insanely powerful in the books. That's part of the character's burden to bear. It comes up again and again (and materializes in Witcher 3 to boot). If you've read Blood of Elves, once Triss grasps Ciri's situation, she says "well, there's not much I can do, but Yennefer? maybe"

Is there a part in the books where Yennefer loses her magic ability and must overcome her self doubt?  I've only read a few of them.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 07:36:36 AM by slog »

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: December 23, 2021, 09:17:04 PM

Is there a part in the books where Yennefer loses her magic ability and must overcome her self doubt?  I've only read a few of them.

That's one of the divergences I mentioned.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #217 on: December 26, 2021, 11:39:05 AM

Enjoyed it. More focused than Season 1.  I like how all of the boat guard's gripes about the Bard's songs were criticisms people had made about the first season.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: December 31, 2021, 08:01:52 AM

So now that there is a season 2 out, I have finally started watching it and am totally hooked.  Are the books worth getting into?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: December 31, 2021, 08:15:35 AM

So now that there is a season 2 out, I have finally started watching it and am totally hooked.  Are the books worth getting into?

Yes, but they were never really written as a series.  The internet says this is the order that makes the most sense

The Last Wish
    Sword of Destiny
    Blood of Elves
    Time of Contempt
    Baptism of Fire
    The Tower of the Swallow
    The Lady of the Lake
    Season of Storms (optional; explained below)

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #220 on: December 31, 2021, 08:20:36 AM

Spoilers all the way to ending

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: December 31, 2021, 03:09:22 PM

By Blood of Elves, the books definitely have *some* sense of sequence--characters are constantly referring to things that have happened. There's still episodic parts that don't tightly fit into an arc, sure.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: January 05, 2022, 11:52:20 AM

I liked it better than S1 but then again I read all the books after watching S1 and waiting for s2.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: January 22, 2022, 02:59:58 PM

I mean, Ciri in the training grounds was 90% videogame. I could practically see the QTE prompts.

This was the worst bit of the second season for me. Otherwise ok enough, though not really as much fun as the first and the overall plot is a bit hard for me care about as a non book or game viewer. Given they didn't do hardly any fun stadalonish episodes this was the main flaw of the season for me.

They could probably have done the overall plot movements with some better pacing and linking and made me care more.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 03:02:22 PM by lamaros »
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #224 on: January 22, 2022, 03:48:37 PM

This was the worst bit of the second season for me. Otherwise ok enough, though not really as much fun as the first and the overall plot is a bit hard for me care about as a non book or game viewer. Given they didn't do hardly any fun stadalonish episodes this was the main flaw of the season for me.

They could probably have done the overall plot movements with some better pacing and linking and made me care more.
Just an FYI, almost all of this entire season was made up, and had nothing to do with the books.  It's kinda understandable I guess because they're past the stand alone short stories and into the main books.  Trying to do any more of the books would commit them to a story arc that would take several more seasons to tell.  But still, that means it was up the the writers to make up their own story, and the results were pretty meh.  Literally the only stuff from the books in this season was beast/vampire mansion story (which was a stand alone story just like all the season 1 stuff, that didn't involve Ciri originally), and the fact that Ciri went to that healing temple to study (and met an awkward young nerdy guy there).  But everything that happened at the temple is totally different than the books.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: January 23, 2022, 05:38:40 AM

A lot of this season in actually in Blood of Elves, so I don't get saying that it has nothing to do with the books.

Ciri goes to Kaer Morhen after meeting Geralt, trains on the training grounds (which are described in the books very much as they appeared in this season), Triss goes there to help with Ciri (and realizes just how powerful Ciri might be), Triss worries that the witchers might be thinking of giving her the witcher treatment and also cusses them out because they haven't realized she's menstruating, the witchers tell Triss that they're also very aware that Ciri is powerful and dangerous.

Rience being sent to hunt Ciri happens in the books; he catches Dandilion in a brothel and tortures him for information. He's saved by Yennefer, but she hasn't been depowered, so she burns him with magic rather than booze and a torch. Rience escapes and becomes a consistent adversary through most of Blood of Elves.

The healing temple and the nerdy guy is in Blood of Elves.

The thing about the leshy doesn't happen in the books. Yennefer being depowered doesn't happen in Blood of Elves, and a lot of the time we don't know where she is or what she's doing (e.g., her story is not co-equal with Geralt's; if anybody else gets attention independently it tends to be Dandilion and Ciri). But a lot of this season comes from Blood of Elves.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: January 24, 2022, 10:39:28 AM

The nature of elves confused me through the whole season. They are apparently super-powerful magical creatures, but also a marginalized, refugee population that also can't have children?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: January 24, 2022, 11:36:40 AM

It actually is kind of both in the books (and in Witcher 3, where you learn some of this).

Elf facts that are important in the Witcher series:

Elves are also imperialists in the lands that the Witcher takes place in. They came before humans, but way after dwarves and gnomes, who've been there way way longer. (Gnomes are described as genuine autochthons who have been there forever and ever; dwarves acknowledge that they arrived after gnomes.)  Elves first came about a thousand years ago and took some of their lands from dwarves, whom they forced back into the mountains. The elves fought against humans when they arrived but also worked out some lasting truces or co-habitation arrangements in some cases, but those didn't tend to last, so they were pushed out of more and more of their former cities.

Elves live a really long time but only young elves can get pregnant. The last time elves rose up strongly to push out human invaders, all of the warriors were young elves of both genders who were inspired to rise up, and the humans slaughtered almost all of them. That amounted to genocide even though older elves stayed out of it and kept in their own distant lands because there were so few left to have children. Only recently have the elves began to rebuild their numbers--and whoops, a lot of the young ones got inspired again and are off to fight humans.

Elves think of themselves as magically created whereas they believe human beings evolved from animals, which they think is gross. They definitely think of themselves as entitled to rule over everybody else but they also know they're essentially completely done in terms of real power or military capacity compared to humans. Think of them a bit as highly educated WASPs from New England who remember the good old days when Muffy and Tad went to Harvard and got to run all the corporations and the government and now it's fucking NASCAR and Pentecostals handling rattlesnakes all the time, plus graduates of declasse places like Stanford, and a few Negroes and Hispanics as well. They think highly of themselves, but they know their real power is fading; they tend to live in the past and think of the old days, but sometimes the young ones get fired up and think they can take over a major oil company and buy a football team as well as continue to go out on the sailboats in Ogunquit.

There's an entirely different group of VERY POWERFUL elves who live in another dimension that's kind of connected to the Witcher dimension; these are the goobers who make up the Wild Hunt and they're the ones who want Ciri. But the Wild Hunt is about more than just catching Ciri--they're basically multidimensional slave raiders who are constantly stocking up. The elves living in the regular world of the Witcher sort of know about the extradimensional elves but they don't see themselves as one people or even very closely connected.

The Witcher world also just has a ton of random fantasy garbage strewn about because of the Conjunction, which they talked about in both seasons--basically a dimensional car crash. So for example there are some hobbits in the Witcher world but they're not from anywhere that anybody knows anything about, they don't live in their own communities, they're just leftover trash fantasy creatures from some other dimension.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:38:20 AM by Khaldun »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: January 24, 2022, 03:55:29 PM

Heh, sounds like a Tolkien Mad-Libs or something. Thanks for the explanation. I kept thinking they said Ciri had "Elder" blood since her being part elven didn't seem like much of a big deal. Makes more sense now.

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: January 24, 2022, 06:47:22 PM

The elves (both the freaky extra-dimensional ones and the usual invaders from somewhere ones) are "Elder Blood", and so are the Dwarves.

The elves have sex with humans a lot after humans show up in these parts but they're kind of embarrassed about it and don't talk about it that much. It's not like Elrond where there's 2 or 3 such and they're all a big deal, it's lots of humiliating meetings after dark in castles where nobody talks about it later.

Basically, it absolutely IS Tolkien Mad-Libs plus General Fairy Tale Mad-Libs. Take any given Grimm's and it might show up somewhere in the Witcher books only with the worst imaginable twist on it. (Like the Beauty and the Beast mini-story in this season where the reason he's cursed is that he raped the priestess who cursed him.) If there are elves and dwarves and gnomes and humans, they've all done fucking awful things to each other and been each other's victims in some way and most of them are trying to cover it up or retell the whole thing. It's one reason some people are sort of drawn to the Nilfgaardians--the Emperor is a strong, resolute and basically non-hypocritical leader--he is 100% exactly what he says he is, which is basically Napoleon--a conqueror who actually wants to sweep away all the little bullshit kingdoms in the North run by penny-ante motherfuckers and scumbags and who doesn't really scruple at much to do what he means to do, whereas in the North there's just about nobody with any sense of honor or root-level values and they're very prone to give in to their worst prejudices and fears.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: October 29, 2022, 02:16:03 PM

Guess Cavill either really wants to be Superman again in the new regime, or he really didn't like the way The Witcher was going. Makes me feel worried about the third season, though it's almost a year away still.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/liam-hemsworth-henry-cavill-the-witcher-season-4-1235251562
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #231 on: October 29, 2022, 02:19:13 PM

I like Liam, but this won't work. I can't see replacing the star of this and just continuing like nothing happened.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 29, 2022, 11:53:25 PM

Guess Cavill either really wants to be Superman again in the new regime, or he really didn't like the way The Witcher was going. Makes me feel worried about the third season, though it's almost a year away still.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/liam-hemsworth-henry-cavill-the-witcher-season-4-1235251562

I'm trying really hard to think about another situation with such a significant downgrade in actors as this one. I'm sure there's some TV show out there that did an even worse job than this of replacing a lead actor but I sure can't think of one.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #233 on: October 30, 2022, 12:01:53 PM

I think it was the later and then the Superman opportunity came along and he took it. It felt like going into it Geralt was his dream role but then got tired of fighting with the decision makers about the portrayal of Geralt and other aspects of the show and began looking for a way out.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: October 30, 2022, 05:48:26 PM

Kind of tragic considering how pitch-perfect the first season was.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #235 on: October 30, 2022, 07:51:11 PM

Kind of tragic considering how pitch-perfect the first season was.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: October 30, 2022, 11:42:15 PM

Loved the first season, what they did with the books as source material was excellent. Season 2 you could see they were trying to improve on the books, and struggling to sell it. Who knows what
S3 will be like.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
carnifex27
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: November 01, 2022, 01:20:23 PM

I'm trying really hard to think about another situation with such a significant downgrade in actors as this one. I'm sure there's some TV show out there that did an even worse job than this of replacing a lead actor but I sure can't think of one.
Spartacus, but that wasn't their fault for obvious reasons.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #238 on: November 01, 2022, 01:33:16 PM

Spartacus was also the example that came to mind for me, but I don't remember the new lead actor being that much of a downgrade (although it was obviously jarring).  Mostly it felt like the show was already done once the Batiati got killed off, since John Hannah and Lucy Lawless stole every scene they were in.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: November 01, 2022, 02:34:40 PM

The Spartacus replacement did just fine, he just wasn't Andy Whitfield.

I am the .00000001428%
WayAbvPar

Reply #240 on: November 01, 2022, 04:36:32 PM

Liam Hemsworth confirmed worse than cancer, got it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #241 on: November 02, 2022, 06:35:15 AM

Liam Neeson would've been a better replacement, just jump the timeline ahead a few decades. Would be interesting to see Old Man Geralt stories, maybe use a King Conan vibe.

Is Netflix still a thing?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: November 02, 2022, 08:07:07 AM

That could honestly be another part of what's going on, actually--Netflix cheaping out on the fourth season and Cavill saying "welp, I like these books, but not that money, cya".
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #243 on: December 30, 2022, 06:06:48 PM

There is a limited series called Blood Origin, which I think is supposed to be the origin story of the first Witcher.  Was 'fine'.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #244 on: December 30, 2022, 09:30:57 PM

Everybody, from fans to legit reviewers, seem to hate it.  It's been pretty universal.  I'm not going to bother watching.

But it's an entirely original story from anything that was in the books, so considering how uneven a lot of non book stuff they made up was in the main series, it's understandable they don't have the ability to write their own show.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Witcher  
Jump to: