Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Witcher 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Witcher  (Read 56765 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 04:48:14 AM

I held hope for Katie McGrath ("Merlin") as Yennefer 'til the end, but hey...We'll see how the 9 yrs old 22 yrs old will do.

Katie McGrath:

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 11, 2018, 04:59:08 AM

Isn't she busy at the moment being eaten by dinosaurs and fighting alongside Supergirl though ?

Reasonable choice tho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #37 on: October 11, 2018, 08:04:25 AM

Again, I have not played the games so have no idea what the game characters look like beyond screenshots.  But this was posted up in an article as a comparison.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.  So of course, from what I'm reading, the fandom is angrily losing its shit over the casting.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #38 on: October 11, 2018, 08:20:28 AM

Considering they're casting Calanthe, this is also going to take place several years before the games.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 11, 2018, 06:35:59 PM

Yup. People forget the game used this weird amnesia mechanic as a way to introduce you to the whole frame of the stories. Pull that back a ways and it's going to be surprising to anyone who has played the games but not read the books.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 07:53:13 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 08:08:54 AM

Hair needs work. The eyes obviously come later through effects/contacts. I think the grim look needs a LOT of work.

I think they might as well also get the beard on him from the beginning, even if he didn't have it in that time frame, because Cavill's chin is really distracting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:26:34 PM by Khaldun »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 08:31:43 AM

Moar official casting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/9szcxm/netflix_announced_new_cast_members_joey_batey_as/

Highlights:

Anna Shaffer - Triss:

Joey Batey - Jaskier (aka Dandelion):

Eamon Farren - Cahir:

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 10, 2018, 03:58:14 AM

That was a look of constipation if I ever saw one.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 13, 2018, 07:37:37 AM

I'm having severe difficulty telling the guys apart, let alone the girls.

I'm just old...

Hic sunt dracones.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 07:55:50 AM

Here we go, our three main protagonists (from showrunner Lauren S. Hissrich twitter feed):

Geralt (Henry Cavill):

Yennefer (Anya Chalotra):

Ciri (Freya Allan):

Main poster:

Logo:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 08:11:11 AM by Lucas »

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:23 AM

Ya, I can dig Caville's Geralt. I always thought of a movie viesrion as kinda a younger Timothy Dalton though, or maybe that guy who played Angel in Buffy. Caville is perfectly servicable, and we do know the guy can act. None of the Superman priblems were his fault, imo. So ya.

Not liking the look of the other 2 but we will see what they are like on screen.

Hic sunt dracones.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: July 01, 2019, 11:53:42 AM

Another piece of news: there will be an official panel (hopefully with a teaser trailer?) during the upcoming SDCC:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/netflix-the-witcher-the-dark-crystal-age-resistance-tcomic-con-hall-h-1202640167/

...And of course, already the Great Nerd Wars begun officially they have (err, whatever, Yoda).

-  Book fans vs Videgame fans ;
- "But...But there is only one swooooord on his back!" ;
- WTFIndianYenneferthat'sitIquit" ;
- Ciri older than Yennefer looks like my grandma ;
- OMG 2D wolf Medallion LOL .

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 16, 2019, 08:52:34 AM

Now we are talking!! (Roach/Płotka/Rutilia)  Heart

The most "Witcher-ry" shot so far, no doubt  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #49 on: July 19, 2019, 10:28:00 PM

Teaser trailer dropped at Comic-Con today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqi-8kAMmM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 20, 2019, 05:25:00 AM

Uh.  Ok.

Fuck Yes, Take My Money ?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 20, 2019, 07:22:59 AM

I feel a bit of meh coming on. But I won't ignore it.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 20, 2019, 08:23:45 AM

Wow, complete opposite here. Was meh to begin with but that teaser has me all in.

I am the .00000001428%
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: July 20, 2019, 10:18:18 AM

Damn  awesome, for real

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 20, 2019, 02:29:05 PM

So, a couple more items featuring the three main characters plus Lauren (the showrunner).

Interview on Entertainment Tonight (beware, VERY annoying interviewer):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDtYWo9j2I&t

Much more bearable interview on Entertainment Weekly (it glitches and stutters toward the 5 min. mark and onward):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoafaaVXp1g&t=

This already spun a funny gif where Freya Allan (she's so shy and so adorable) and Henry Cavill look at each other: she's totally in love  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I found the trailer footage very interesting (The Dryads of...Brooklyn!  why so serious?); like Lauren anticipated months ago, writers also put in scenes that were told off-screen in the books, like Yennefer's "origin story". As a whole, looks like S01 will tell some short stories from Book 1 and 2 while starting to lay the ground for the main saga (which starts with book 3, "Blood of the Elves").

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #55 on: July 20, 2019, 09:31:13 PM

I played about 10 hours of the first game, so I'm not completely ignorant, and I'm definitely the target audience for this. However, I was just left completely confused by that trailer.

However, it's Netflix, so I'll likely watch it at some point.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 21, 2019, 01:13:29 AM

Just a reminder: series is completely based on the books (2 short stories volumes, 5 main saga books; then there is "Season of Storms", another collection of short stories Sapkowski published in 2013, totally unrelated to the games, but I still have to read it, don't know if they take place before/during/after the main saga). Videogames tell what happens after the main saga books. Sapkowski hates them, hates CD Projekt, hates everybody, but loves money.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 01:18:01 AM by Lucas »

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #57 on: July 21, 2019, 04:36:13 AM

The books are really great.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 21, 2019, 05:34:58 AM

The books are really great.

Yes they are, ma'am  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? . Some short stories are a tad chaotic and unevenly paced, but most are great; infact, I'm a bit bummed S01 won't include "A Grain of Truth" (Sapkowski hilarious and brlliant version of "Beauty and the Beast"), but hey....
----

More fluff:

Allan and Chalotra:

Full Comic-Con panel (minus the standalone clips, unfortunately):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLZms_s8SEc

By the way, as you might know, Cavill is a huge, huge fan of the franchise; read all the books, played all the games long before the series conception.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 21, 2019, 06:29:23 AM

I played about 10 hours of the first game, so I'm not completely ignorant, and I'm definitely the target audience for this. However, I was just left completely confused by that trailer.

However, it's Netflix, so I'll likely watch it at some point.

It is very much a 'book chap' trailer.

I liked it a lot and I hate Man of Steel Man.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #60 on: July 21, 2019, 10:35:09 AM

I dig Cavill - I think he's a better actor than he's given credit for mainly because he's been stuck in roles that don't let him act, with directors that are overbearing twats or are Guy Ritchie. The trailer just left me confused as to the story and its visuals seem to be aimed mostly at tweaking fantasy fans visual cues without any context to make them meaningful. Not to shit on this trailer too much since that seems to be the fucking thing in trailers now.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 21, 2019, 11:10:38 AM

Where's he acted ?  Seriously, I don't know.  I watched the Mission Impossible shite and the Superman shite and he was awful, but they were awful films.  I watched UNCLE and I thought he was ok in that, but it wasn't exactly stretching for any actor, I don't think.

That's the sum total of my experience, so I'm probably just missing something.  Hope you're right because I really want Witcher to work (and trailer has me jazzed).

And Yeah, as I said, it seems to be a trailer for Book Chaps ;  there's a lot in there that points at things the average person won't know or care about. 

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 21, 2019, 11:21:16 AM

It's a teaser not a trailer.

I am the .00000001428%
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: July 21, 2019, 11:25:42 AM

Anything longer than a minute is not a fucking teaser, IMO, and Hollywood needs to stop acting like it is.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 21, 2019, 12:36:04 PM

We'll form a better opinion after the full-fledged trailer, probably out around october (if they'll eventually confirm the release for the pre-christmas days).

By comparison, here's the first Game of Thrones full trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJYNVhGf1s

For example, comparing it to the Witcher teaser, notice how slower paced  the GOT one was, while the latter tried to cram the three main characters "origins" and motivations in between action sequences, off-screen narrator babbling, with ye olde third party hollywood music (yeah, of course that wasn't from the eventual soundtrack).

EDIT: Btw, no surprise, but it is safe to say the books will receive a nice boost even just after this first trailer: I  checked on Amazon US and "The Last Wish" E-book is n.1 in the genre category, #121 overall (#30 in the books category).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 01:15:22 PM by Lucas »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 21, 2019, 06:40:02 PM

That teaser was crap. The show will be crap.

But I hope I'm wrong.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #66 on: July 21, 2019, 07:15:48 PM

We'll form a better opinion after the full-fledged trailer, probably out around october (if they'll eventually confirm the release for the pre-christmas days).

By comparison, here's the first Game of Thrones full trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJYNVhGf1s

That's exactly what I mean. Teaser trailer's now just seem to think they can parade around some wide expanses, some character shots and a few cryptic bits of dialogue, and Bob's your uncle. No, fuck that. Teaser or not, tell me a story, give me a narrative or at least the start of a narrative. The Witcher one said something about elves and monsters and I don't even have the vaguest notion how any of it fits together. The Watchmen trailer that just got put out recently did the same goddamn thing, and I am intimately familiar with its backstory.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #67 on: July 21, 2019, 09:17:29 PM

The closest thing to a name involved in this is Cavill, whose acting ranges from bad to "well I guess he wasn't the problem with this movie". Also every time I see him with the long hair in this trailer it looks like they de-aged Fabio to play Geralt.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 22, 2019, 01:26:58 AM

Also every time I see him with the long hair in this trailer it looks like they de-aged Fabio to play Geralt.

That, or Legolas has been through some serious shit, lately....

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 22, 2019, 06:27:51 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic for this one. Cavill is a huge fan and actively lobbied for the role. Having an actor that committed is going to help things. The show runner did Daredevil and the Umbrella Academy but she also did the Defenders which I've heard wasn't very good. (I never got around to watching it.)

I think Ciri is a bit too old for the time period its set in and I'm wondering if they changed her relationship to Geralt. The trailer implies he has no idea who she is but...

Also, the showrunner has said there won't be a main villain but

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Witcher  
Jump to: