Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:15:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Reddit hacked 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reddit hacked  (Read 3782 times)
Trippy
Administrator

on: August 01, 2018, 12:39:44 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/announcements/comments/93qnm5/we_had_a_security_incident_heres_what_you_need_to/

User data stolen:

* Everything in the DB including email addresses and hashed passwords from the start of Reddit to May 2007

* Email digests sent in June 2018 which include email addresses and usernames
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 01:39:29 PM

What is reddit?

why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:45:56 PM

I really feel it's time for a new statute that holds companies partially responsible financially if their security is compromised and sensitive user data is taken. Do it via fines, do it via direct compensation to users, something. Yes, yes, I understand the people doing the theft are the ones who are committing crimes and I'm also up for making the penalties even more draconian for that. Honestly, if we stopped using drones to kill suspected insurgents and started using them to kill hackers, there is a small part of my soul that might cheer. But I just can't help but think that most companies, social media and otherwise, realize that the main consequences of security breaches are on the customers, and so they really stop about three or four steps short of being really dedicated to securing that information in the most extensive way they can.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:24:40 PM by Khaldun »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 01:56:00 PM

I am sure several of those accounts were EU residents so GDPR will cover some of that.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 03:54:18 PM

If I read the article correctly, the passwords were hashed and salted, so that's good. The email address and username leak seems minor by today's standards.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 05:07:40 PM

I think anyone that connects an appliance to the internet should be held responsible for this shit. Or hell the companies that make kettles that send a tweet when your water is boiling. Or Babies diapers that send a tweet when they are wet (Yes. I've read about that one). Because they are being used as vectors for this shit.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 05:16:59 PM

If I read the article correctly, the passwords were hashed and salted, so that's good. The email address and username leak seems minor by today's standards.
The passwords are also 11+ years old, although its possible people might still be using them.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 05:38:15 PM

If we're talking average internet user, then 75% of them are still valid. :/
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 05:46:56 PM

They also lost current usernames/emails/private messages.

schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 05:51:23 PM

yay for things that don't effect me
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 06:34:53 PM

Them:  AMA!!

Me: I don’t give a shit.
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 12:16:51 PM

I think anyone that connects an appliance to the internet should be held responsible for this shit. Or hell the companies that make kettles that send a tweet when your water is boiling. Or Babies diapers that send a tweet when they are wet (Yes. I've read about that one). Because they are being used as vectors for this shit.

Trying to educate consumers on network security is insanity. This is a manufacturer problem all the way.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Reddit hacked  
Jump to: