Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:51:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sorry to Bother You 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry to Bother You  (Read 1697 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: July 22, 2018, 09:27:15 AM

Red band trailer

Just saw it last night, having heard of it but not knowing much about it.

It's good.  It's a fairy tale of late-stage capitalism set in a parallel-universe/near-future Oakland.  There's a bit of Idiocracy and a bit of Get Out in there.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:41:18 AM

As an ex-Oaklander I feel obligated to see that.  Looked pretty though!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 10:03:05 AM

Is it really filmed in Oakland, or is it filmed in "Oakland" (Atlanta) like Black Panther? 

Regardless, I want to see this movie.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 10:12:42 AM

Yeah it was filmed in Oakland.
Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 02:22:16 PM

It's very recognizably Oakland if you're a resident.

The director and writer, Boots Riley is also the frontman for The Coup, which is a local funkish political hip hop group. The script for this has been hanging around for years. It was published in McSweeney's a few years back, and The Coup has an album with the same name inspired by it, which is worth a look if you're at all interested in such things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Sorry to Bother You  
Jump to: