Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:30:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So is anyone else here into locksport/lockpicking? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So is anyone else here into locksport/lockpicking?  (Read 5488 times)
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

on: July 17, 2018, 06:25:38 PM

A little while ago, I started watching lockpicking videos - mostly LockPickingLawyer and BosnianBill and decided to dive in.  I've found that lockpicking is a fairly cheap hobby that's super relaxing and also keeps challenging me as I work my way towards breaking ever more challenging physical security solutions.  I've worked my way up to the point where I'm almost done with traditional pin/tumbler locks as they've become almost trivial and am now looking for locks (ASSA Abloy, Medeco, etc.) that are really only sold in Europe.  As part of this journey, I've discovered that American locks suck for the most part, and have already frightened people with how easy it is to pop their door locks open with stuff I carry in my wallet.

Was just curious if anyone else here was into this sort of nonsense.  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 06:29:58 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:00:30 PM

I started trying to teach myself lockpicking several years back with a cheap lockpick set, a couple of padlocks to practice on, and the MIT lockpicking guide.  Never got very good at it, but I understand the basic principles at least and could probably open a cheap lock if you gave me half an hour to poke at it.  Do you need better picks/wrenches to get faster results or is it more a matter of practice?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:13:35 PM

I started trying to teach myself lockpicking several years back with a cheap lockpick set, a couple of padlocks to practice on, and the MIT lockpicking guide.  Never got very good at it, but I understand the basic principles at least and could probably open a cheap lock if you gave me half an hour to poke at it.  Do you need better picks/wrenches to get faster results or is it more a matter of practice?

Tools are part of it, but I've made all of my progress with a fairly cheap SouthOrd kit.  I added some Sparrows flat tension bars when I reallzed that BoK tension is not the only way.  If I'm honest, you can defeat most American locks with improvised tools and most KwikSet or Schlage locks are pretty much just for show.  I've found that being aggressive with tension makes picking much easier, mostly because it amplifies feedback in the instances where you encounter security pins.

Not gonna lie - I'm a complete noob (but one that can follow instructions), but goddamn, this is fun.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 07:29:13 PM by MisterNoisy »

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:18:22 PM

Check your state laws, just in case. I was into this when I lived in Ohio and owning a set at the time was illegal without licence.

I worked next door to a locksmith maybe 20 years ago. One day I went in and asked him how he got started in the business and he replied with a "heh". He was a cool guy though and set me up with a practice box and set to mess around with during my lunch breaks. So for a couple months I just went in and shot the shit with him and cracked locks. Poorly.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 08:44:49 PM

Yeah I was gonna say, owning a set of picks as a non-locksmith is illegal in a lot of places.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 07:10:53 AM

As near as I can tell, possession is fine here, but 'possession with intent' is a crime, so I should be in the clear, since I only use them at home.  I do have a prybar and a short hook in my wallet now, though.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 07:40:41 AM

but 'possession with intent' is a crime
Man, if only you could get away with that caveat with every other thing on the planet.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:33 AM

Insert several countries owning nuclear weapons joke here.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Zophie
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:08 AM

I learned how to pick locks when I was a kid, would practice on the locks in my house and old doorknobs and locks and shit I'd find places, was always pretty satisfying when you finally beat them.  Haven't found many legal uses for those skills since then though, and wasn't really interested in turning that hobby into a profession.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 12:22:03 PM

Yeah I was gonna say, owning a set of picks as a non-locksmith is illegal in a lot of places.

Echoing what other folks have said, only if you're about to commit a crime with them.  Using California law as an example:

Every person having upon him or her in his or her possession a picklock, crow, keybit, crowbar, screwdriver, vise grip pliers, water-pump pliers, slidehammer, slim jim, tension bar, lock pick gun, tubular lock pick, bump key, floor-safe door puller, master key, ceramic or porcelain spark plug chips or pieces, or other instrument or tool with intent feloniously to break or enter... (etc etc etc)

Being as a screwdriver is called out as a potential "lockpicking tool" I don't think owning any of the others is in and of itself going to get you into any trouble.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:07:55 PM

Echoing what other folks have said, only if you're about to commit a crime with them.  Using California law as an example:

Every person having upon him or her in his or her possession a picklock, crow, keybit, crowbar, screwdriver, vise grip pliers, water-pump pliers, slidehammer, slim jim, tension bar, lock pick gun, tubular lock pick, bump key, floor-safe door puller, master key, ceramic or porcelain spark plug chips or pieces, or other instrument or tool with intent feloniously to break or enter... (etc etc etc)

Being as a screwdriver is called out as a potential "lockpicking tool" I don't think owning any of the others is in and of itself going to get you into any trouble.

Kinda funny to see them call out 'ninja rocks' specifically.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 02:29:13 PM

This is weird because a cybersecurity convention in Atlanta is offering a lockpicking event and I'm considering it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 06:04:52 PM

This is weird because a cybersecurity convention in Atlanta is offering a lockpicking event and I'm considering it.

Go for it - I find it both fun and relaxing.  It also helps that you can get started for not a lot of cash.  That said, I started doing this three weeks ago and I think I've got a problem:

Maybe it'll actually be useful some day, but I don't much mind if it isn't.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:05:56 AM by MisterNoisy »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 09:39:38 AM

Heh, Is there a starter kit like that where you work your way through various levels of locks?  As a professional traveler that spends a god aweful amount of time on airlines, that actually seems like a great way to kill time and freak out the annoying people sitting next to me.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 10:32:57 PM

My brother in law got pretty good at it a while back.  I tried doing it with one of his kits but it didn't work out for me.  Evidently, I have too many thumbs.  :(

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 11:34:21 PM

Heh, Is there a starter kit like that where you work your way through various levels of locks?  As a professional traveler that spends a god aweful amount of time on airlines, that actually seems like a great way to kill time and freak out the annoying people sitting next to me.

Sparrows sells a 'Night School' kit that contains two hooks, two really good rakes, tension wrenches, a case and some progressive training locks.  That said, I just bought that $30 SouthOrd set I linked earlier and followed the 'Belt Ranking' wiki on the lockpicking subreddit, buying most of my locks from Amazon and Amazon Warehouse.  Thrift stores and the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore have also been decent sources for stuff to pick.

I'm about to recore a Master 930 with one of my Master 410 cores just because Master makes some really nice locks with crap cores in them and puts a crazy challenging core in their $9 plastic-bodied lockout/tagout locks.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:49:48 PM by MisterNoisy »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 06:18:28 AM

nice try, fbi
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2018, 02:09:05 PM

So I just picked up 20 six-pin Schlage-format Kwikset keyway deadbolt cylinders for $24.  This hobby makes you do weird things sometimes.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: So is anyone else here into locksport/lockpicking?  
Jump to: