Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:42:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Conan Exiles  |  Topic: Resource farming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Resource farming  (Read 31236 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: July 16, 2018, 11:05:20 AM

First, some useful spots I learned about recently, all really close to each other in the noob area:

• Giant spider boss (M22) -- gossamer cocoons all over the place, lots of little spiders and one big one
  • Gallaman's Tomb(M23) -- lots of brimstone nodes, watch out for the crocs
  • Hanuman's Grotto (M24) -- more crystals than you can carry, guarded by imps

The two things I'm still collecting for my map room are demon blood and gold.  Planning on trying the Sinkhole for demon blood, and the pirate beach near Schild's place for gold, but curious if anyone knows any better spots.  (Haven't been to the volcano yet, think I want to get my map room built first.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:25:03 AM

There is a cave (Sinner's Refuge) northeast of my riverside manor also full of brimstone, poorly guarded by low level exiles.

The map we're using has dropped its grid, but 3150 1700 in the new coord system.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:56:10 AM

Honestly a run to the volcano is the best option for gold and demon blood since there's already map rooms around.  Take a map room to the volcano and head east, it's pretty easy to find both the rock monsters and obsidian nodes.  Mine the critters for blood and the obsidian for gold.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 01:35:57 PM

The rock demons in the volcano are the absolute best place for demon blood. Brimstone can be had rather easily by going to the Sulfurous Springs in the western area of the map (but wear your sandstorm mask or else die to noxious gas) and using your pick on the white stone looking columns in the water. For gold, go to Bucaneer's Bay in the northern jungle and swim around the rocks that the pirate ships are resting on - there are chests that will spawn a good number of gold and silver coins and bars. You can also look in the water at the shipwrecks east of the Witch Queen's palace in the southern jungle for the same kind of chests. Obsidian mining in the volcano will give you gold but it's a random chance.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 01:41:40 PM

The map we're using has dropped its grid, but 3150 1700 in the new coord system.

I still have grid coords in https://conanexiles.ginfo.gg/

Honestly a run to the volcano is the best option for gold and demon blood since there's already map rooms around.  Take a map room to the volcano

Can't take a map room up there unless you've already gone up the hard way and tagged an obelisk.   awesome, for real  How obvious is the route?  And do you need any special gear?  I went to the snowy part of the map and noped out of there when I started to take cold damage -- haven't taken the time yet to figure out what I'm supposed to make myself to wear when going up there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:58:00 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 02:11:50 PM

I still have grid coords in https://conanexiles.ginfo.gg/

Honestly a run to the volcano is the best option for gold and demon blood since there's already map rooms around.  Take a map room to the volcano

Can't take a map room up there unless you've already gone up the hard way and tagged an obelisk.   awesome, for real  How obvious is the route?  And do you need any special gear?  I went to the snowy part of the map and noped out of there when I started to take cold damage -- haven't taken the time yet to figure out what I'm supposed to make myself to wear when going up there.

My elephant hide outfit has pretty good cold protection, although I was still taking some damage. I need to kill another elephant to make the gloves and hat I guess.

Don't forget you can use some of the armor kits to reduce the bulk, which is a lifesaver for some of the heavier armors.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 02:22:48 PM

Forgot about the needing to attune  swamp poop  Also with the regen and reduced elemental effects perks, I've just learned to mostly ignore frostbite/heatstroke.

Inconveniently enough, once you get into the volcano you no longer need cold resistance, you need heat resistance.

There's more than one entry to the volcano area, the first one I took was the SW entry up.  There are rock demons and plenty of obsidian nodes on that route.

Coming in from the eastern entry to the volcano is the shortest route to the obelisk.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 03:21:35 PM

I generally take my Zamoran thief armor (cold resist) on the walk up there (when I have to walk to one of the entrances instead of port) and have my Silent Legion armor (heat resist) in my inventory for when I get inside the volcano. If you don't have as good a cold resist, you can eat spiced food to heat up and for the volcano, carry ice in one of your hotbars (while also wearing a heat resistant armor) and use it every few minutes to counteract the heat.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 11:29:00 AM

Best noob spot for farming demon blood turned out to be the sandswept ruins.  Sandbeasts drop it fairly regularly and they don't take forever to kill (although they're still pretty tough -- easy enough if you cheese them from inside a house, but it took me a while to get the hang of stabbing them to death in the open without getting mauled).

So apparently it's possible to take down (and/or farm) certain bosses by setting up archer thralls in strategic spots and kiting the bosses into their line of fire.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Was thinking about trying to set up a firing line for a dragon.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 01:22:21 PM

We used a line of palisades to trap one of the giant crocs, then closed it off in the palisade and stabbed it through the spaces to kill it. They nerfed the placement restrictions on palisades though so I'm not sure you could do that again. I haven't tried the archer thralls.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 01:34:08 PM

Is it possible to build a labyrinth out of foundations and lure a boss into it?  That was one idea I had, but I'm not sure what rules govern interactions between mobs and buildings -- I know they won't fit through a door, but will they go through an open gate?  Do they just stay off foundations completely?  If you left enough bare dirt between walls of foundations would they go through that?  etc.

Googling "conan dragon trap" got me a video where it looked like they'd used an existing structure (some kind of tower complex just outside the city) that had lots of stairways the dragon had difficulty navigating, rather than building one, and just populated it with lots of archer thralls.  Which actually got me wondering if there are limits on how much you can just stick archers all over the map and have them shoot things for you.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 01:41:38 PM

I know there are limits on how close together they can be placed, and they have to be on a walkable surface.  You'd also want them elevated enough that monsters couldn't reach them, and not use basic sandstone which can be damaged by critters (or your own weapon attacks once you get to steel or better)

I pulled the red dragon over to the Mitra shrine north of his spot to see what would happen, and they all wound up in combat with him.  Being melee, they all died after about two hits.  I quit with the dragon still about 80% since it was going to be long and boring to solo him.

It was tempting to see if I could drag his ass all the way over to the Relic Hunters and pull him through the town slaughtering everyone Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 01:50:31 PM

IIRC thralls only need to be about two foundation widths apart.  Seems like you could build a pretty good meat grinder by just building lots of small towers with archers on top of them and then kiting a boss in between them until they draw his aggro (at which point I assume he'll just sit there at the base of one of the towers helplessly gnashing his teeth while they slowly fill him with arrows).

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 02:55:04 PM

That is how I killed my elephant at level 30. I just plopped three stacks of foundation cubes down near a cliff side. Lured the beast in and stabbed it with my spear.

It killed me three times when I got too close. Now I have better armor (thanks elephant hide!) I can probably do it with no deaths. Honestly, I should have been able to do it with no deaths naked, but I'm running at 800 ms lag right now (yeah still working on that).

Oh, and since my primitive forebears hunted game much the same way I didn't feel it was cheating, especially since I can't dig a pit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 03:07:31 PM

I pulled the red dragon over to the Mitra shrine north of his spot to see what would happen, and they all wound up in combat with him. 

We dragged him over there and trained him into the big ass boss rhino that is in the oasis beside the shrine. Then, while the two of them beat the shit out of each other, we peppered them both with arrows until we eventually killed them both.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 03:11:08 PM

I pulled the red dragon over to the Mitra shrine north of his spot to see what would happen, and they all wound up in combat with him. 

We dragged him over there and trained him into the big ass boss rhino that is in the oasis beside the shrine. Then, while the two of them beat the shit out of each other, we peppered them both with arrows until we eventually killed them both.

DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Okay, looking at where those two are on the map.... maybe right in between them is where I try to build my meat grinder.  It *looks* like flat empty desert which should be ideal.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 07:49:19 PM

You can kill the Barrow King for 160 demon blood. He’s really easy.

For brimstone and ichor, there’s a cave called the Executioner’s entrance. Super easy too. It’s like 500 ichor and as much brimstone as you can carry.

-Rasix
Rasix

Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 09:18:20 AM

So, how the hell are we supposed to get star metal now that the meteorites are bugged?

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 09:20:00 AM

me :/
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 10:39:31 AM

Did I see in Discord that they're finally patching the fish trap bug?  That at least makes ichor a lot easier.

Rasix

Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 10:44:39 AM

Did I see in Discord that they're finally patching the fish trap bug?  That at least makes ichor a lot easier.

Do you mean oil? Ichor is pretty easy. There are plenty of spider caves around.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 10:47:39 AM

That too.  I actually haven't had any problems with oil yet (although I'm not building a lot of stuff that needs it).  I always end up with lots of extra seeds to press when I'm collecting fiber.  I did run out of ichor when making my map room though, and remember wishing my stupid fish traps worked so I could just cook it out of them.  Did eventually go make a hunting trip to collect some, but I like not having to leave my island.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 10:58:37 AM

Making twenty shellfish traps and piling them up close together and looting the crawfish once a day is faster than killing spiders for ichor. Having to replace my fish traps every day is getting annoying.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 12:00:13 PM

If you had the pickup+ mod installed, you wouldn't have to rebuild them, just pick them up and put them down again.  why so serious?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 03:42:19 PM

Dong Country is currently mod free I think.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 03:59:16 PM

While Funcom is dropping massive patches and regularly updating, I'd rather not start fucking with mods. I was going to install Pippi's but the headaches seem not great.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 25, 2018, 01:20:20 PM

I think star metal is dropping again. But also you can get 5-20 ore or so by farming Silent Legion goons outside the Black Keep in a loop.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #27 on: July 25, 2018, 06:34:05 PM

You get several hundred ore from just one Star Metal node though, so just keep in mind that's really inefficient even when you take into account all the time it takes to make an explosive jar.

Also, if you have a sandstorm breathing mask, you can get infinite Brimstone out at the salt lake area in the west desert.  Just mine the pillars.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rasix

Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 10:59:42 AM

I was able to get the Rotbranch in the Circle of Swords stuck on geometry where you're under a pillar and he can't hit you at all.  Shit ton of HP, but I didn't get hit a single time. Easy skeleton key.

I'll see later if I can reproduce it.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 27, 2018, 08:45:55 PM

Actually it's a bug. Rotbranch doesn't do damage period at the moment.
Rasix

Reply #30 on: July 27, 2018, 08:57:59 PM

Damn. I was giving Funcom the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn’t screw up that bad.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 09:57:15 PM

Red dragon meat grinder has been built.

It takes the thralls a little while to lock on to him, but once they're aggroed on each other, you can stab him in the butthole with impunity.

They do a decent amount of damage on their own -- think they could probably bring the dragon down in about fifteen minutes without any help.

Next I'll try kiting the rhino over there.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:05:22 PM by Samwise »

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 10:56:44 PM

That is somewhat more impressive than my elephant trap, but then again I can kill an elephant in about two minutes now. Although for some reason when the elephant dies the system throws him up in the air where he lands out on the plains, sometimes crushing some other beast...

Bonus!!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 31, 2018, 08:44:31 AM

Try it with rhinos, it's even more fun. Particularly when the rhino seems to swallow you and trap you inside.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 02, 2018, 03:41:48 PM

Only two of you archers attack the dragon at any one time. I hear that giving them black ice throwing axes greatly increases their damage and attack rate.

But thanks for the setup, I got my dragon head to put above my map room. It really ties the room together.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Conan Exiles  |  Topic: Resource farming  
Jump to: