Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hereditary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hereditary  (Read 3208 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

on: June 23, 2018, 11:31:00 PM

Soooo.

I'm unpacking this movie mentally, slowly. I'm afraid it will get lost to many folks as 'arthouse wank'. However, it is the first movie I've seen in theatre that actually had someone in the audience legit scream out loud in fear, then apologize to everyone in the theatre.

Slow fucking burn.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 05:14:41 AM

r/horror has been going on about it for a while now. I don't see a reason to see it in the theater, but I will see it as soon as it's available for me to do so.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 07:04:49 AM

The only reason I might suggest theatre viewing is some of the camera work and lighting is very subtle. There are scenes with things happening in the shadows that might get missed on a normal TV, or if watching it with lights on. Long lingering shots feels like an homage to Kubrick.

I'm still not sure what to think about the movie. I went in fairly cold, knowing only that some horror bloggers were not watching it because they heard it was too scary. That seemed like a marketing gimmick and still does. Someone described the movie as one massive panic attack and that's the best description I can give it.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 04:51:02 PM

I saw this in a theater and am glad I did.  Great photography and lighting throughout, and some of the tilt-shift stuff is perfect.  Also, seeing it before being spoiled is important.

I wouldn't say the movie is scary.  Just tremendously unsettling and tragic.  Go in as cold as you can.  I think the trailer is intentionally misleading and not knowing what to expect after the second act is part of the movie's charm.

I really liked it.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:17:50 PM

Was our Halloween movie.

The first 100 minutes if this movie makes it look like just another mental breakdown garbage movie.

The last ten minutes is fucking NAIL-BITING.

So, shitty movie, amazing ending.

I'm not sure I want to get into the rabbit hole of "is a movie good if the payoff is worth it?"

I woke up this morning and realized I liked this movie. I really liked this movie. I think it's the kind of movie that doesn't suffer from being spoiled, at least a little bit. I just read the entire thing incorrectly going through it and focused on things that, had it not ended the way it did, I would've hated it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:41:37 PM by schild »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 11:52:32 PM

I watched this based on schild talking it up a few months ago and I'm damn glad I did. I can see how a theater viewing would have helped some of those really inventive shadow movement shots. The story took its damn time getting where it was wanting to go but it was absolutely worth the wait. Some really uncomfortable moments early and then the payoff had some fantastic imagery.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Hereditary  
Jump to: