Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ocean's 8 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ocean's 8  (Read 2979 times)
WayAbvPar

on: June 14, 2018, 10:25:58 AM

Had a 5 hour break between finals yesterday and this was starting soon. I loved the other Ocean's movies.

This was fucking terrible. Dull, unimaginative, and a waste of some very good actresses. It is like a C+ high school student took a decent script and 'touched it up'.

Caveat- I was in a surly, foul mood when it started, so that may have slightly colored my impressions. Pretty sure it blew anyway though.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 10:33:50 AM

I saw this on Tuesday, thought it was passable.  Well-acted, though it suffered from a lack of true antagonist and an abundance of lucky coincidences.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 10:36:26 AM

That's disappointing.  I loved the "original" (i.e. the first one with the Clooney/Pitt cast, which I know was a remake) but thought the sequels after that were tired and unnecessary.  This one looked like it might actually be a nice little reboot that didn't feel fuckstupid.  Cast looked really good and nothing in the trailer made me wince.

If nothing else, I thought it'd be nice if it was (a) a good movie and (b) killed at the box office because it'd prove that all-female reboots aren't inherently doomed by sexism, they just have to be good movies.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:09:34 AM

My fiancee thought it was great, btw.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:35:40 PM

That's disappointing.  I loved the "original" (i.e. the first one with the Clooney/Pitt cast, which I know was a remake) but thought the sequels after that were tired and unnecessary.  This one looked like it might actually be a nice little reboot that didn't feel fuckstupid.  Cast looked really good and nothing in the trailer made me wince.

If nothing else, I thought it'd be nice if it was (a) a good movie and (b) killed at the box office because it'd prove that all-female reboots aren't inherently doomed by sexism, they just have to be good movies.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
I think the problem here is that ‘an all female reboot’ of a franchise is doomed because odds are its going to be a terrible movie, since the entire concept is basically a cheep cash grab by studios.  Any decent female writer/director who wants to do a female focused movie is going to make something original.  At least thats what we’ve seen so far, and this one seems to be sticking to that record by all accounts.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:56:47 PM

i mean

write women's parts

write men's parts

don't force some bullshit just to show solidarity
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 01:57:20 PM

Ocean's 11 never needed one sequel, much less however many it has already had.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:02:44 PM

Reboots as a general rule are terribad cash-grabs by people who can't come up with new shit, but there have been enough successful examples (like the aforementioned most recent film titled "Ocean's Eleven") that I don't write them off immediately.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 03:08:11 PM

Ocean's 12 was meh.

I personally think Ocean's 13 is the best of the lot.

I may end up seeing this because the SO likes the Ocean's movies, and has expressed an interest.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 05:11:04 PM

My wife liked Ocean 8 so either this is good or she wasn't has had on the movie considering rihanna in it.
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 05:15:47 PM

13 might be my fav too. 12 was definitely the worst of the bunch.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 07:14:28 AM

I enjoyed 13 a lot.

'Heavy Bikes sir!'

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 08:18:26 AM

13 was the most fun.
11 was the best movie.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 09:23:47 AM

You know, I just looked up the synopsis of 13 and I think I never saw that one, probably because 12 was so terrible I immediately wrote off the entire series. 

If watching 13 ends up being a mistake I have a list of names to hold accountable.

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 09:26:57 AM

i don't think saying something is "the most fun" out of a series of brainless action comedies is worth any ire

but then, people care about star wars and dr. who so what do i know
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:33 AM

I've seen 11 a few times and enjoyed it each time.

12 was utter drek that I had figured out inside half an hour and bored me stupid the rest of the run.

13 was fun but I have no desire to see it again.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Ocean's 8  
Jump to: