Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Upgrade 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Upgrade  (Read 2012 times)
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

on: June 14, 2018, 09:59:51 AM

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36PDeN9NRZ0[/youtube]

This was a fun, clever B movie.  There's a bit more to the premise than what's shown in the trailer, and the plot has some twists and turns that are well done.  The action is brutal and serves the story.  Most of the actors, including the lead, do a great job of drawing you in to the characters.  Supposedly the budget was $5 million, but it looks more like $50 million.

I recommend it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:59:54 AM by BobtheSomething »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:14:10 PM

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=36PDeN9NRZ0[/youtube]

This was a fun, clever B movie.  There's a bit more to the premise than what's shown in the trailer, and the plot has some twists and turns that are well done.  The action is brutal and serves the story.  Most of the actors, including the lead, do a great job of drawing you in to the characters.  Supposedly the budget was $5 million, but it looks more like $50 million.

I recommend it.
This sounds like a movie I'd never have seen in theaters... until Moviepass.  Now that it is effectively free to see the second and third tier movies, I find myself going to more of them.  I'll likely hit this up this weekend.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:11:47 PM

Not bad. Actually liked this more than ready player one.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:12:50 AM

That isn't a high bar.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:42:43 AM

That isn't a high bar.

Everyone was jizzing about that movie 3 months ago. Buyers remorse?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:01:42 PM

Seriously were people? I don't know anyone who saw it, the trailer looked like shit, the book was airport trash and I don't recall it making much money.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 05:32:00 PM

people were pretty excited about ready player one

but once again, your average person is of below average intelligence. So 162.5m people are dumber than you think. 60m of them voted for trump. They probably don't know what moving pictures are, so let's assume 100m dumb people really want to be tickled in their nostalgia bone.

It made half a billion dollars. So about 75% of those 100m went to see Ready Player One (that's assuming a fair amount of matinees with kids). I know at least 10 people from here did. Ask one of those idiots why they cared.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:35:31 PM by schild »
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:15:29 PM

Ready Player One was a fun distraction, but other than nitpicking the plot and theme? with my wife on the drive home, I never thought about it again.  After seeing Upgrade, I was still thinking about the film for a while, trying to figure out why it reminded me of the great sci fi B movies of the eighties and nineties, thinking though the implications of the world building and some of the red herrings, and hoping that Blumhouse would start making more sci fi movies.  Is it great cinematic art?  No.  Is it a kickass movie that proves you don't need a huge budget for cgi sky beams to tell a sci fi action story?  Yes.  It's almost the opposite of Ready Player One.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Upgrade  
Jump to: