Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jurassic World: Jurassic Now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jurassic World: Jurassic Now  (Read 11603 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: June 10, 2018, 12:00:30 AM

I'm going to see it. It's dinosaurs. I'm not looking for in depth social commentary or some illuminating morality tale about science. The mosasaur in the wave sold it for me. Anything past that scene will be gravy.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:48:24 AM

I was thinking about going seeing it friends, but I am very hesitant. The last installment was not my cup of tea - despite dinosaurs  en masse.  Do tell if the awesome scenes make up for the likely shitty story :)
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:52:05 AM

Saw ad for it on TV last night. Urge to see it did not materialize.

Honestly I'm half I'm kinda done with sci fi films. The first movie was great but... too many disappointments over the last 2 decades.

Hic sunt dracones.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 07:12:32 AM

I watched it yesterday at the local Imax. I mostly liked it. Like the original, they telegraph early on who is going to end up as T-Rex chew toys. There are some silly action scenes and lots of dinosaurs running through puny human constructions. I'd say its not as good as the first one, but better than the other sequels.

The weaponised raptors made no sense at all and were not used in a way that really made the case for them existing either.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:27 AM

I liked the last one well enough that I'll watch this eventually; I'm not sure I'll pony up for it in theaters though.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 08:55:47 AM

It does not open until the 21st here in the states, I believe... but no interest here other than as a mindless spectacle.  I may see it as I am now using Moviepass and it is essentially free, but it certainly looks like it is a cash grab with no real vision behind the story.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 09:55:32 AM

I was thinking about going seeing it friends, but I am very hesitant. The last installment was not my cup of tea - despite dinosaurs  en masse.  Do tell if the awesome scenes make up for the likely shitty story :)

Yeah. Same here. Which is weird, because I like Chris Pratt and I like dinosaurs and I'm fine with CGI in my science fiction, but somehow the first one just felt lame. As in actually lame -- it felt like it was limping along to the credits. The only emotion I felt from the actors was the urge to go home, maybe make another movie about something else.

And if anything I get the impression that this one is going to be even more half-assed. So will probably pass until it shows up on Netflixs or Prime or otherwise falls out of the internet on me...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:37:55 AM

I tried watching Jurassic World and I think I made it 45 minutes before turning it off and deleting it from the DVR. It was just predictable and boring, despite Chris Pratt.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 10:04:42 PM

Oh, you're watching it wrong. You fast forward till you see dinosaur. Once you don't see dinosaur, you fast forward again. Repeat.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 12:13:51 AM

Jurassic World was so bad.  I went in really wanting to like it even if just for a pop corn flick, and it failed me on every level.  I understand wanting ‘hey, dinosaurs’, but the plot at everly single step of the way got so bad it distracted from everything else.

And every trailer I’ve seen for this (including the newer one that laterally gives away every single bit of plot left) make it look worst at every level.  They even managed to make me cringe at every single line Jeff Goldbloom says in the trailer!  How do you do that!

Anyways, film probably not for me.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 06:39:58 AM

I enjoyed Jurassic World even as people around me tried to pick apart plot holes. I'm thinking, you know the dinosaurs get out guys. We're not watching an instructional film about how to run an amusement park.

I'll see this opening weekend.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 12:15:50 PM

^ I'm also excited for the game. I know my dinos are going to get out, but by golly we'll spare no expense.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 06:24:20 AM

So since nobody has posted about it, I saw this opening weekend on Friday, in a larger theater, but not in 3D.

My impression is that the movies has two distinct acts, the first is fun and action filled with cool scenery that has a feel of Jurassic Park. The second is a grim, moralistic, heavy-handed slog that seems like they completely lost direction.

Spoilers below for those who have seen it:

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 12:20:29 PM

Saw it last night, thought it was a lot of fun. Kids liked it, wife liked it, good times.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:29 AM

It was entertaining, i liked it and hope they make another one.

I am the .00000001428%
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 10:40:49 AM

I couldn't get past the basic premise of "these dinosaurs that were genetically engineered and have gone on killing rampages four times previously deserve to live" especially towards the end when it gets to the point of people struggling to decide whether or not to save them, even when it's putting innocent peoples' lives in danger. I know pretty much all these movies hinge on people making horrifically bad choices, but just about everyone in this movie is the dumbest fuck imaginable. Also, can the writers really not come up with ways to make fucking dinosaurs scary without leaning on this crutch of engineering super dinosaurs?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 10:49:33 AM

I couldn't get past the basic premise of "these dinosaurs that were genetically engineered and have gone on killing rampages four times previously deserve to live" especially towards the end when it gets to the point of people struggling to decide whether or not to save them, even when it's putting innocent peoples' lives in danger. I know pretty much all these movies hinge on people making horrifically bad choices, but just about everyone in this movie is the dumbest fuck imaginable. Also, can the writers really not come up with ways to make fucking dinosaurs scary without leaning on this crutch of engineering super dinosaurs?

Well,

I am the .00000001428%
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 11:42:40 AM

It was entertaining, i liked it and hope they make another one.
Bill Walsh said it best: Get rid of a player/movie a year/movie too early rather than a year/movie too late.  I think they could really flop the next one if they continue on the path they're on,... but it sounds like they want to go back to their Movie 1 roots a bit more in the next film.

Art Preview
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:46:27 AM by jgsugden »

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 12:04:57 PM

I think they are heading for a Planet of the Apes direction I'm not really going to enjoy a ton, but I'll likely see because there will be nothing else at that point in time I care about.

Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 01:31:08 PM

Now if only the franchise would take the direction of "Flesh" in the 2000AD comics. I'd pay to see Old One Eye in a movie.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 01:34:23 PM

I'd rather just see an entire reboot in 5 years. 

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 03:06:39 PM

If they don't go full reboot, then they kinda need to start addressing some of the implications of the genetic technology they've developed. Well, they don't need to because they can just keep making mindless movies about dinosaurs eating people, but the further they've gone down the path of splicing together traits from different dinos not to mention the twist in this movie which gets brought up near the end and then promptly forgotten, the more it feels to me like there should be some story in how else this tech is being applied. If they're able to manipulate genetics this extent they have to be doing more with it than just making super dinos.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 10:55:22 PM

Ya. why just Dinos? Don't Woolly Mammoths and Saber Tooth Tigers deserve resurrection, and the taste of Actor?

And what about Neanderthals?

Hic sunt dracones.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 09:09:06 AM

Ya. why just Dinos? Don't Woolly Mammoths and Saber Tooth Tigers deserve resurrection, and the taste of Actor?

Jurassic People
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 11:17:13 AM

Jurassic People

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 12:06:00 PM

I did enjoy the dig about the gal bein a nasty woman.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 03:08:35 PM

Jurassic World VI: Dinomen vs Peoplesaurs.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 02:53:09 PM

Jurassic Galaxy: COMPIES IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 11:08:07 AM

Oh this was shit and not even in the enjoyable shit that the first one was.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 11:50:53 AM

Oh this was shit and not even in the enjoyable shit that the first one was.
And yet it is making bank. 

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 12:02:34 PM

It took 3 Jurassic park movies before people said fuck this franchise.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 12:04:05 PM

Maybe fun movies aren't your thing? Have you looked into some Wes Anderson stuff?

MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 12:36:10 PM

Oh I'm not going to apologize for this movie being bad. Its not my fault Chris Patt wasn't enough to make this fun even though he tried really hard.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 01:13:06 PM

I enjoyed it. Problems galore, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I am glad they aren't going for more hybrids in future instalments, though.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 01:25:12 PM

I enjoyed it. Problems galore, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I am glad they aren't going for more hybrids in future instalments, though.
$5 that we get news of Dino-people by 2023. 

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Jurassic World: Jurassic Now  
Jump to: