Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:45:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Metal or not? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Metal or not?  (Read 8618 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: June 02, 2018, 10:20:18 AM

The last reply is great. I think we all too often are the proverbial "grumpy old fuck" on the Internet (and RL), and should be nicer!  Heart

Edit: For me on F13 that means less shitting on Brexiteers and more informative space posts.
They're both right. It's cool to enjoy things, but to call Baby Metal any kind of actual Metal is silly.

Edit by Trippy: added context
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:58:37 PM by Trippy »

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 10:33:41 AM

They're both right. It's cool to enjoy things, but to call Baby Metal any kind of actual Metal is silly.
They're more Metal than most of the hair bands. Mostly Speed Metal, which was never to everyone's taste, but they'll do.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 11:06:30 AM

Googling them and listening to a few random tracks...... other than not doing the Cookie Monster voice, they are right on tone with most speed metal (as Mahrin pointed out).  Is Cookie Monster voice required to be ‘metal’?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:27:44 PM

Dio.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 12:03:24 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY

If that doesn't count as metal then you have to have a pretty limited view on what metal is.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:35:05 PM

K.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:58:48 PM

Didn't know we had so many Babymetal fans on here! I've seen them live twice, loved them both times.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 04:52:25 PM

Didn't know we had so many Babymetal fans on here! I've seen them live twice, loved them both times.
When musical types stop evolving, they die. It's now further from my headbanging jean-jacket days than those days were from Doo-Whop, so it's good to see someone doing something *new* with the sound, instead of just rehashing it ala Finnish Black Metal.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 07:37:48 PM

At minimum, their sound is just as metal as DragonForce and such.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 01:44:43 AM

Sounds metal to me. I'm more into Power Ballads but I cant see why anyone into speed Metal wouldn't be enjoying that, unless you were some kind of Metal Snob, in which case F you, basically. Good for the Girls.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:47:12 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 04:30:32 AM

They supported RHCP when they played Glasgow Recently.

I have little to no opinion on them, but they entertained the crowd hugely.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 08:45:28 AM

Babymetal is metal af.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEYUFgLveY

If that doesn't count as metal then you have to have a pretty limited view on what metal is.

This is what I call marketing genius.  Way to hit the demographic for maximum $$$.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 10:32:07 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 11:18:43 AM

Yes.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 02:49:07 PM

I'd prefer his metal cover of Adele's "Hello" but ya, I'd say it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQUJMBH8uE

If you don't think it is,  that's cool.

Hic sunt dracones.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 08:35:01 PM

I'd prefer his metal cover of Adele's "Hello" but ya, I'd say it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQUJMBH8uE

If you don't think it is,  that's cool.
Metal. As. Fuck.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 09:08:40 PM

Since this is nominally a forum about games here's my contribution to the discussion:

Nier: Automata - "Weight of the World" cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v72zoaQVTg0

Original English language version* for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egn_VNVKzI4

* The OST has Japanese, English and French versions
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 07:00:24 AM

Metal hipsters never fail to amuse.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 07:15:30 AM

What's a metal hipster? Someone who thinks they have a lock on a metal purity test of some sort? In that case, yes, that's obviously a fallacy, since metal is as hard to pin down as anything else in music. Is just guitar distortion necessary but not sufficient to classify as metal? If not only that, then what? Is it a specific beat? How about Rage Against the Machine or Bad Brains? Do they get into the halls of metal Valhalla or not? Do you need to be 'serious about a thing' in order to qualify? Do you have to have a song about being on death row to be taken seriously? I guess that would disqualify Van Halen and Bon Jovi right out of the gate then. Is it a matter of being iconoclastic and anti establishment somehow? An appeal to the lower classes a la Motorhead and AC/DC perhaps?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 07:41:48 AM

I would rather see Babymetal and Maximum the Hormone than any two Western metal bands.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 04:27:42 PM

They are a gimmick band that happens to have some serious talent behind the instruments.  I take them about as seriously as I took the Spice Girls.

I am not going to bash someone for liking them and if I had a young daughter I would absolutely take them to see Baby Metal in the hopes that an appreciation for heavy music develops.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 04:43:12 PM

In the Is it Metal? question - Thunderstruck Played by Cellos
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:50:09 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 04:43:28 PM

Dupe
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 06:50:21 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 04:49:39 PM

What's a metal hipster?
The metal community is some of the most pessimistic and protective of their "TR00" bands and applies all sorts of purity tests to groups to determines who gets in and who gets rejected. Metallica losing their metal card was a HUGE argument that to this day nerds still slap fight each other over. It's part of the reason I don't hang out with metal fans anymore, too much drama and energy devoted to making sure you weren't listening to false metal or "garbage" (or at least not letting anyone find out that you did).
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 12:07:30 AM

Yeah, music arguments are the only thing worst than sci-fi/fantasy nerd slap fights.  And arguments over ‘metal’ is the worst sub-genre of that.  Like, literally every time I see any sort of metal band posted, it results in an argument or discussion about the 100 different types of metal that apparently exist and are all totally unique we swear.

It’s just such a vague concept I have a hard time taking ‘metal’ discussions seriously.  Black Sabboth and Metallica was considered Heavy Metal back in the day, and both of those are basically what the minimum baseline for being vanilla ‘rock’ is now.  And Fraeg, because of that, I’d say the thing that makes anything actually metal is being a gimmick.  The entire genre is a gimmick.  The only reason you go to watch this shit is for what ever gimmick they are doing.  Which is by no means bad, I enjoy the performance art aspect of it.  But basically metal bands revolve around being a gimmick to be ‘metal’, as far as I can tell.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 06:09:38 AM

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 02:24:19 PM

They supported RHCP when they played Glasgow Recently.

My brain translated that as Red Hat Clown Posse.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 09:17:30 PM

I saw the RHCP tour as well.  The people around me were completely unprepared for Babymetal and it was hilarious.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #29 on: June 08, 2018, 08:19:22 AM

I saw RHCP after Ministry. After Al's show, RHCP came across as so boring we nearly left.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 07:55:40 PM

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 11:58:12 PM

Dude cracks me up. He has more fun than should be allowed.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 06:25:19 AM

Leo is too damn good. Actually happy that him and Rabea started a group.

Great Africa cover. Then he actually made Despacito and any Adele songs he's covered not just listenable, but awesome.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Metal or not?  
Jump to: