Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Barry 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Barry  (Read 6448 times)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

on: May 07, 2018, 11:09:57 AM

This show is good. Billed as a comedy but not really.

Just good, watch it.

I watch this before I catch up on Silicon Valley and Westworld on Monday mornings.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 12:34:51 PM

Barry is a pleasant surprise.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:58:59 PM

Last night's ep was unreal.  Sad it is only an 8 episode season so only 1 left.  It's not a "comedy" I agree but it is also funny as hell.  Noho Hank is one of my favorite characters on T.V. right now.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 05:41:14 AM

If it's not a comedy, what is it? I've seen the trailer a few times and it did not inspire me to watch the show.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 07:35:19 AM

It's a dramedy? It definitely has it's funny moments (I love the Chechens) but it also gets really really fucking dark.

I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea but give it a shot. I'm loving Bill Hader.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 07:27:54 PM

Heh, Hader just said season 2 will be darker. Not sure how that is possible.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 01:30:53 AM

New trailer out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir1_hjemxNA

I have now watched the first season four times. FOUR TIMES.

If you are not watching this show, you are an asshole.  Ok, that's unfair. If you have not watched this, you are really missing out. It is so, so good.

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 02:34:11 AM

Alas, I don't think it's over here yet ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 05:10:40 AM

Not on Netflix in any case.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 09:39:08 PM

Season has been good so far, but tonight's episode was BONKERS.  Mash-up of Stephen Chow, Coen Brothers, and Sam Raimi. Completely nuts.

-H.L. Mencken
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 09:13:43 AM

After that episode, all the wife and I could say was "Wtf did we just watch?"

It was entertaining as fuck but maybe a bit too much over the top for what the show has been so far.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 07:19:14 PM

The show has been pretty out there already really if you think about it. This was just heightened up another notch. I attribute it to Barry's degenerating mental state coloring his view of reality although apparently in the next ep Fuchs has a big bandage on his face, so who knows.

-H.L. Mencken
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 08:17:19 AM

I don't even know what to say....craziest stuff I have watched on tv that wasn't a cartoon.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 10:20:56 PM

This season was great.  Berg and Hader are just doing amazing shit week in week out.

I could see Hader directing some Coen bros. level shit so give him a feature already.

-H.L. Mencken
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 04:14:44 PM

This was a good season. I was also super impressed by the directing of the Season Finale and was shocked to see that Bill Hader did it.

This season was great.  Berg and Hader are just doing amazing shit week in week out.

I could see Hader directing some Coen bros. level shit so give him a feature already.

I could see this too if he gets more practice. This last episode really felt like he has a great eye and style in the making.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 04:21:41 PM

I just started watching this and have gotten through 2 episodes already. It's pretty damn great. I get a very Grosse Pointe Blanke feel, without the hip-80's nostalgia vibe to it, and a lot more self-referential humor with the acting classes. And the bald Chechen (who played Victor Zzaz on Gotham) is just great.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 08:43:36 PM

I just started watching this and have gotten through 2 episodes already. It's pretty damn great. I get a very Grosse Pointe Blanke feel, without the hip-80's nostalgia vibe to it, and a lot more self-referential humor with the acting classes. And the bald Chechen (who played Victor Zzaz on Gotham) is just great.

It's much darker than Grosse Point Blank was. I don't think it's as obvious in the first few episodes but it does go to some dark places fairly quickly.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: June 19, 2022, 08:13:42 PM

Just finished season 3.  And... apparently there's going to be a season 4?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 09:07:53 PM

Season 3 was insane, and dark as fuck. I loved it. There is already a confirmed season 4 and I think they said it would be their last.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 25, 2022, 06:50:47 PM

I really love that we've arrived at a moment that British TV mostly arrived at a good time ago: that some shows should run for a limited time on purpose, to tell a story that is finite. It is a great change in our popular culture; once upon a time if you wanted to be on TV, you were always swinging for the fences, always for as long as you could have. Lew Grade thought Patrick McGoohan was fucking NUTS for ending The Prisoner on purpose after three seasons, but that may have charted the road ahead.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: June 26, 2022, 09:12:43 AM

TBF, having recently binged the whole Prisoner series, McGoohan was fucking nuts, but not because he wanted to end the show.

The 22-episode season for American network TV is thankfully almost dead. It really, really stretches out shows to an almost intolerable level, and breaking out of that cycle is probably one of the reasons TV has been able to attract such big name movie-level talent. Before, you weren't going to get Charlton Heston to agree to give up like 30-40 weeks of his time for a show that paid a fuckton less than 3 months of shooting a movie. Now? 8-16 weeks of work out of the year that still leaves you time for movies AND let's you do some really amazing, groundbreaking stuff? Why wouldn't you want to do TV/Streaming on things like Fargo, or Taboo, or Wandavision, or Barry? It's both a win creatively and decent money.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 03:00:50 PM

I can see a 22-episode season of a light comedy that's got just some light character development--Brooklyn 99 or something. Then it's not like watching a serialized movie, you can take it at that length. Anything that has a strong episodic arc and some real dramatic heft, the idea of watching what amounts to 22 chunks of 45 minutes each? There is just about no story ever that can hold up that kind of weight without breaking somewhere.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 31, 2023, 01:24:16 PM

This just ended on sunday and if you haven't watched it do yourself a favor and binge the whole thing.

I am the .00000001428%
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 02:27:43 PM

I found the ending to be a bit of a letdown, personally, but I feel like the entire series has been on a bit of a downhill slide over the last couple of seasons.

I do still second the recommendation though.  The first couple of seasons were so strong that even after declining in quality a bit toward the end I'd say the show as a whole is very worth watching.  (It's not like, say, Game of Thrones or Westworld where you're better off watching S1 and pretending it ended there.)

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 07:39:15 PM

I'm glad I finally got around to watching it right before it ended. That said, I think binging it actually hurt it a bit. It really highlighted how repetitive some of the character arcs get (like how many times Fuches and Barry reconcile only for to be back at each other's throats an episode or two later.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 06:07:47 AM

The ending was... an ending. A very weird one, to be sure, but it mostly made sense. The last season really did feel like the writers pointing out just how bad every one of the main characters was a human being. Just totally broken, malfunctioning people who were intriguing to watch when you thought maybe they could learn to be better people, until you realize, nope, they can't.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Barry  
Jump to: