Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Venom 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Venom  (Read 10653 times)
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

on: April 24, 2018, 01:21:51 AM

Huh. Looks interesting, but as someone who hasn't read the comics, I had no idea Venom was anything but a bad guy. Also not sure how they're going to make a whole movie out of a dude that looks pretty much invincible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 02:18:08 AM

Also not sure how they're going to make a whole movie out of a dude that looks pretty much invincible.
Which is they they stopped making superman movies after the first one.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:43:09 AM

Venom became an anti-Hero a la the Punisher after he became really popular. He had his own comic line for a while, along with Merch and toys. I'm surprised its taken this long for him to get his own movie.

Hic sunt dracones.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 07:05:22 AM

Also not sure how they're going to make a whole movie out of a dude that looks pretty much invincible.
Which is they they should have stopped making superman movies after the first one.   why so serious?

Fixed that....

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 10:21:43 AM

Did the comic version of Venom's backstory not involve Spiderman?  I only ever saw the cartoon version, where Eddie Brock was Peter Parker's rival and the symbiote had started off attached to Spiderman.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:24:02 AM

this dialogue was written by actual mongrels
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:54:44 AM

Just... No.  No.  That doesn't do a thing for me.  It's... No.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 11:07:45 AM

Yeah, this looks like a total waste of everyone involved. I don't much like Venom the character, though he had a decent run with the Guardians in the comics recently. Decoupling him from Spider-Man is the first mistake, making Tom Hardy act like a retard is the second. The character's look just doesn't really make any sense without Spider-Man.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 11:38:54 AM

Did the comic version of Venom's backstory not involve Spiderman?  I only ever saw the cartoon version, where Eddie Brock was Peter Parker's rival and the symbiote had started off attached to Spiderman.
Short version: Venom started off as an intelligent alien costume Spider-man found during the first Secret Wars.  It then became a foe of Spider-man as it possessed a few people that had it in for Peter.  It eventually transitioned into an anti-hero ... IMHO, the popularity of the 'character' exceeded the worth of it.  I wish it had never evolved into a foe and had just been relegated to a bit of a power upgrade as an intelligent costume for Spider-man.  What they've done with it over the years is just nonsensical and dumb.  It has an origin story as odd as Superman.

Long Version: Wikipedia

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 11:46:49 AM

What the trailer mostly made me think of was the game Prototype, where the guy has black goo that flies out of him and he runs around eating people and he can fly by shooting blood out of his hands or whatever.  That'd be a wonderful dumb movie.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 02:56:22 PM

Tom Hardy is truly the Michael Caine of his generation.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:34:58 PM

Completely thought of Prototype as well.

This looks deeply inferior. Tom Hardy as a jumpy, neurotic, strung-out guy? um, no.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 04:14:01 PM

That trailer did nothing for me. What little I know of Venom is tied to Spidey; not involving him and by extension the MCU seems like a colossal fuckup. I also generally dislike Tom Hardy so that doesn't help matters.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 04:41:18 PM

That trailer did nothing for me. What little I know of Venom is tied to Spidey; not involving him and by extension the MCU seems like a colossal fuckup. I also generally dislike Tom Hardy so that doesn't help matters.

Involving Venom in the MCU would be a bigger fuckup.

Sony making this means MCU Venom is less likely, and on top of that we get to chuckle about Sony doing a damn silly thing in a damn silly way.

I don't see any downside.

Just... No.  No.  That doesn't do a thing for me.  It's... No.

Hypothetically, can you imagine any circumstances where a film about Venom would be a positive contribution to the sum of human endeavour?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 06:13:05 PM

Disney doesn't have the time or inclination to make all of Sony's movies for them.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 01:55:52 AM

Hypothetically, can you imagine any circumstances where a film about Venom would be a positive contribution to the sum of human endeavour?

Actually, yes.

I was, er, youngish when Secret War was out first time around and I was an avid Spidey fan then (and now, in fact).  I think doing the Costume Saga and Venom could work quite well in the right hands.  It's actually a really good story.  Not the shite that came later when Venom got all 'Wolverine' and overexposed and wank, but the 'love triangle' of the Symbiote, Eddie and Peter I could see done well in the hands of the MCU people, particularly those that did Homecoming.  Hell, if they'd wanted to, they could quite easily have ditched this 'Iron Spider' shite from Infinity Wars and put the Symbiote in there to make the Spidey v Venom later on.  We'd have fucking loved it.  You KNOW we'd have fucking loved it.

But this is 'The Other Guys'.  The guys that already did the Alien Costume and fucked it up beyond belief.  Like, it was totally tripping balls bad and also had Sandman and Green Goblin.

Now, if you're actually asking 'Do you think that just 'Venom' on his own can ever make a good film, the answer is a firm no.  That's one thing on this film -  I think no matter what they do, conceptually, it's utterly wrong.  I do like the idea that the Symbiote is like a child that needs training not to eat people (something that the trailer seemed to be suggesting), but beyond that ?  Nah.  NAAAAAAHHHHH.

Anyway.  Big ole Fox Who Cares.  For me, it's pretty much like the DC universe these days, especially after they killed Logan in the most joyous and thrilling way possible.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 03:49:08 AM

I was, er, youngish when Secret War was out first time around and I was an avid Spidey fan then (and now, in fact).  I think doing the Costume Saga and Venom could work quite well in the right hands.  It's actually a really good story. 

I agree. The thing is, with Spider-man 3 they had all the ingredients if they had just had a little imagination. They already had a character that had the obsession with Spider-man, Osborne. They had already done the dual personality thing very well with Doc Oc in Spider-man 2. All it would have taken is dumping Eddie Brock and probably sandman, and have the first half of the story him fighting Osborne as green goblin, then have Parker throw off the suit, and then have the third act against Osborn-Venom. There you go, nice tight story that you could have run with and a nice conclusion to the trilogy story. And it would be more true to the comics that the mess they went with.

Hic sunt dracones.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 02:07:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCn88bfW1o

Newer trailer. Better trailer. Somewhat intrigued now.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 02:24:28 AM

Yeah, but two symbiotes punching each other at the end.  White guy Versus naturally evil brown skin.

Still a hard pass.  I think anyone on these boards could write a better film, and I've not even seen it yet.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 02:46:38 AM

Riz Ahamed is a guy who does interesting stuff so it might not be that cut and dried. I had zero interest in this movie, but the principals are all pretty interesting.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 06:33:26 AM

Fair enough.

Uk getting this one first too ?  If so, I'll wait for your review.   why so serious?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 03:05:49 PM

Finally watched this. I figured $6 was worth a shot given the success and semi-positive word of mouth.

This was a movie. It had some very movie moments. Nothing special, but it was kind of fun in a late 90s/early 2000s way. It had some really stupid and obvious shit that most film makers don't do anymore. It was like the return of some sort of Joel Schumacher/Paul Verhoeven hybrid schlock director. Bad wigs, cheesy dialogue, plot that fits on a fortune cookie, a dumb love story, misplaced actors (Jenny Slate is cool, but she didn't really pull of scientist here), and a like a 5 year old's version of an after credits scene.

Venom was pretty much just a giant goo ape with Tom Hardy emoting like a cracked out Bill Cosby. But hey, it's not boring for most of it. The beginning sort of is, but the rest is something Jean Claude Van Damme would be proud of.

-Rasix
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 03:09:30 PM

This thing made nearly a billion dollars.

Hic sunt dracones.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 11:06:04 AM

Joel Schumacher/Paul Verhoeven hybrid schlock director.

You did not put Joel Schumacher and Paul Verhoeven in the same realm. I know you didn't. Sure, Paul Verhoeven, directed Showgirls (which is arguably a cult classic) but he also did Total Recall, Robocop and Starship Troopers which is the best Fascist Sci-fi satire ever made even if it committed the sin of killing of Dina Meyer and letting Denise whatshername live.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 06:58:08 PM

The bigger sin was having Dina be the love interest who shows her tits and not Denise.

But yes, Paul Verhoeven doing a Marvel movie would be amazing.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 07:31:51 PM

But yes, Paul Verhoeven doing a Marvel movie would be amazing.

Considering his history he's a natural for Iron Man 4.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Also, I have no interest in The Punisher, but if they got Verhoeven for it I'd see it opening night.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 07:58:45 AM

Saw this... and was surprised at how bad it was givn the mediocre word of mouth.  It was real bad.  The characters just wandered through story beats with no real sensible motivation, and their version of SF made absolutely no sense.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 10:09:37 AM

I saw this last night.  The first half was really awful and the second half was very mediocre.  I was disappointed especially since I'm a big fan of Tom Hardy.   Heartbreak

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 01:11:58 PM

Pile of bodies, pile of heads.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Venom  
Jump to: