Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Isle of Dogs - 犬ヶ島 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isle of Dogs - 犬ヶ島  (Read 4446 times)
pxib
Terracotta Army

on: April 17, 2018, 12:32:36 AM

Gloriously weird and ruthlessly entertaining. A visual whirlwind of cartoon tropes and Japanese art styles and a simple fairy tale about loyalty and diaspora. They chat side by side with the same sort of confident awkwardness that every Wes Anderson character squeezes into every Wes Anderson line. A few moments might be a bit brutal for very young children—death (murder, even) looms everywhere and there's some blood and dismemberment—but these are animated puppets and nobody older than 8 should be traumatized. Nor, indeed, will they be bored.

Anybody who can't stand Wes should probably avoid it, though an animation aficionado might love it on that level alone. Heartily recommended to the rest of us.

The trailer spoils a little, but there's plenty more where that came from.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:11:46 AM

Is it weird that I don't know anyone in real life who actually likes Wes Anderson films? 
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:29 AM

Is it weird that I don't know anyone in real life who actually likes Wes Anderson films? 
Me neither.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 09:34:37 AM

I'm oddly indifferent to them. Meaning, I like elements in them; I find other elements very twee or over-stylized. I appreciate the sensibility and the skill but I also am just kind of "well, that was ok" every time I see one of his movies.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 09:56:56 AM

Zissou is a great, entertaining movie. It's wacky and has great characters. However, when I look at the rest of his work, the gimmick of his work becomes too noticeable.

I tend to prefer believing Zissou is his only movie and he was a one hit wonder.
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 11:06:29 AM

Zissou is a great, entertaining movie. It's wacky and has great characters. However, when I look at the rest of his work, the gimmick of his work becomes too noticeable.

I tend to prefer believing Zissou is his only movie and he was a one hit wonder.

Zissou is the only film that I am aware of that both my parents and my brother walked out of.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:12:32 AM

Zissou is the only movie of his I tried to watch and it lasted about 15 minutes. His gimmicks are REAL pronounced and felt way too tryhard.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 12:17:27 PM

This is legit his best work. And it's not even his work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWLY6NrS2Q

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 01:58:15 PM

I'll be the Wes Anderson guy, I guess.  It's amusing that his soundtracks are basically written by Devo.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 03:42:18 PM

Ditto, love all of them. Pretty disappointed this isn't showing nearby.

I am the .00000001428%
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 04:12:07 PM

I saw this with the family.  It was a passable way to spend a couple of hours.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 04:50:05 PM

Wes Anderson is amazing.  Love all his stuff.  Such a perfect blend of style, storytelling and subtle brilliance.  From Rushmore to Grand Budapest.  Perfect.

Some of you will be surprised to learn that the director of the much loved new favorite The Last Jedi wants to suck his cock and be his bitch forever.  Watch The Brothers Bloom if you don't believe me.  If you can survive.

Why don't you try our other games?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:20:29 PM

Wes Anderson is amazing.  Love all his stuff.  Such a perfect blend of style, storytelling and subtle brilliance.  From Rushmore to Grand Budapest.  Perfect.

This is how I feel.  Loved nearly all of his movies.  

Will likely wait for this one until I can buy it on DVD.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 06:35:33 PM

Wes Anderson is amazing.  Love all his stuff.  Such a perfect blend of style, storytelling and subtle brilliance.  From Rushmore to Grand Budapest.  Perfect.

Some of you will be surprised to learn that the director of the much loved new favorite The Last Jedi wants to suck his cock and be his bitch forever.  Watch The Brothers Bloom if you don't believe me.  If you can survive.

Ah, now I understand.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 03:48:37 PM

hm I had to double check his movies so I could chime in with my feelings towards him.. I think all in all I like his style, its different its fun.  I've seen 3 of his movies (maybe 4? Rushmore feels like I would have seen it but I can't recall it so maybe not) and Zissou was the best, Moonrise Kingdom was quirky and cute but I wouldn't tell anyone they had to watch it certainly and Tenenbaums must be better than average because I actually enjoyed it more the second time I watched it in full and I'm glad I have seen it whenever it comes up.

Having now watched the trailer for this, I bet I'll like it too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:51:54 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 09:16:10 PM

That's really weird that the trailer has such an effect.  For you, it made the film look good.  When my wife and I saw the trailer, even before we knew who made the movie, we were both repulsed.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:58 PM

Likable. Probably the best thing he's done. Still cluelessly racist at times, but a decent flick.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 06:54:36 AM

I like Wes Anderson. I've seen all of his movies except this. Which means I've seen the same movie like seven times. Because they're all the fucking same.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 11:24:38 AM

The theme from the Royal Tenenbaums is played backwards in The Life Aquatic.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Isle of Dogs - 犬ヶ島  
Jump to: